1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

When replacing a scene....

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by that_shawn_guy, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

When replacing a scene (Ulfheim, etc). please keep the old version with a link (hidden passage, etc) from new version to the old. You can rename the old version based on the old name.

This would have the benefit of adding a new scene with actually increasing scene count, give something for new players to discover, and give us old timers a chance to refresh out memories.

2. Lace

Lace Avatar

Many of us while thankful for a new scene aka the uncloning of Ulfheim, will miss the existing one. It was quite unique with a step above T5 and was one of the few places with higher level brown bears and ferocious bear patriarches, not to mention the reapers assorted obsidian critters, the skellie area and barb area. It had a little bit of everything and is fun to hunt in as is.

While seen as a clone, it is a great scene as is,would love to see it renamed and still accessible somehow.

3. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Totally agree. There are plenty of scenes that still need to be unlconed/changed. Several on the Perennial Coast side and such. Take one of the scenes that has no real content in it and spruce it up for new content. Even that area around Artifice there are a couple scenes there that are repeats

4. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

totally agree! i like the visual and the gathering resources, please keep the old version online with another name.

Feldon Grimshaw likes this.
  5. Widsith [MGT]

Widsith [MGT] Avatar

Time for the Committee for the Preservation of Old Ulfheim!

I also enjoy the current version, it's probably my 1st or 2nd most used hunting spot, plenty of obsidian critters for my cooking shops, and other worthwhile nasties when whacking bears and wolves gets boring. How about using it to replace a seldom used scene, or better yet put the new and likely to be awesome version in some part of Novia that needs more avatar love? @Chris @DarkStarr

6. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

Ulfheim, as it is currently, is one of my favorite "go-to" scenes. Almost not a day goes by that i'm not there for a while. I love everything about it. I've asked on the twitch stream multiple times if there was a way to keep the old scene, but have never recieved a response.

SAVE ULFHEIM !!!!

7. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

It is a great scene as it is. I do wonder how they selected this scene over others that probably have less traffic. Was it ever brought up why they are redoing this one?

8. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Because the old version is a clone of an existing scene that will remain in place (I don't remember the name of the other one).

I don't know why players aren't satisfied with that other existing scene. Perhaps when the devs say "clone" they mean something that doesn't translate into what players expect from a clone? I suspect people would have more luck if instead of trying to convince them to keep old Ulfheim, they tried to convince them to make the other pre-existing scene more like the old Ulfheim.

9. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I didn't know it was an old version. As much traveling I didn't I didn't notice that it was a clone of another.
    Make sense to redo the other one though. Hopefully it's the start of a pass through all existing scenes to better them all.

10. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I am pretty sure I remember Ulfheim being a clone of Deep Ravenswood and that Ulfheim has already been "touched up" in the past. Seems odd to go back and redo a scene that no one complains about.

11. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

It’s getting its own unique look, like all the other uncloned areas are.

From one of the streams Sannio was doing, as he was working on the area, the resources and creatures that are currently found in there will be the same.

It will finally have its own unique look and feel, the same resources and creatures, and the new barbarian wave battles.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  12. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The Ulfheim changes didn't really make sense to me. Its a pretty decent scene. I can think of dozens that don't merit a second visit that would be much more suitable to overhaul. Surely there's some sort of metrics on where players go. I suppose if as Jaesun says it fundamentally doesn't change the content it wont necessarily be cause for upset, but why change what is already a reasonably popular/frequented scene instead of addressing some of the ones that nobody bothers with?

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Yeah. This is like one of the actually better scenes in the entire game. I also just like the layout of it as well.

Widsith [MGT] likes this.
  14. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

For players who like the old Ulfheim layout, it was a duplicate of another scene and we don't want two scenes with the same layout. It was always my intent to come back and make it a proper "home of the Barbarians." That's why we kept the "under construction" message when you enter the scene. But this is a place that needs its own look, its own personality. New Britannians have Brittany, Norgarders have Valhold, even the plunderers have Penmawr Island, and now the Barbarians will have a proper "capital."

For those who like the old NPCs and Resources, yes, it's true that I said on the stream that I would keep as close to the exact same count for NPCs and resources as the old scene. Yes, the reapers will be there, and the skeletons, and the old high-threat bears and wolves, plus the old number of resources. But, as I get very close to finishing, I decided to both keep all the old NPC types and resources AND also add more.

What's being added? Besides the multiple types of enemies in the barbarian settlement, there will be additional high-threat wolves, bears, and boars. Mineable crystals have been added to one section. The resource count for iron ore was too low for the new layout, so I added a lot of iron ore nodes throughout the scene. And since people like the ore clusters in dungeons so much, I did something similar in the new Ulfheim. There's even a cluster of garlic nodes. Well, a small one.

15. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

I'm excited for the "new" Ulfheim. But i'm also sad to see the old one go. I've spent many an hour there.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  16. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

It sounds like new Ulfheim is going to be grand :D

I also like old Ulfheim as well as disliked it. Like everyone else, I enjoy the critters. But I don't like the loop shape of the map. There are a *lot* of loop shaped wilderness maps of various types. Something a bit more organic will be welcome. I haven't watched the live streams, though, so perhaps my hopes are ill founded :confused:

17. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

For what it’s worth, please for the love of Novia- make a couple Boss Barbarians... As you’ve said it’s the capital.

:)

(Also Boss Barbarians should have a big Dragon as a pet, not a wyvern; or at least Destroyer+ type body guards)

;)

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  18. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Stop looking at my Ulfheim notes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.