The tree choppin' shoppin'.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Astirian, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

So, I've seen a couple of posts recently where new ppl are wondering where the trees are that they can chop.

One of the nice things about UO was that you could just go off into the woods and start chopping at various trees. You'd mouse over them to see if they were harvestable. (Spoiler: Some were, some almost were and some weren't) (Naice! @DarkStarr)

This was nice because it was organic and you would naturally wander (explore). SotA, for all its wins at NOT being a theme park, still has Harvestable Nodes. Which sort of screams Game Systemâ„¢, especially if it makes you run into mobs. @Lord British

Now, I know there's all this math about the economy and whatnot (@Chris), but here goes:

What about a system that lets a player chop any given tree (based on a 33% rule), however the caveat is that it takes a longer time.

The theory is; let's say you can "do" a harvesting run in 15 minutes and get, oh I dunno, 7 logs. (Bad numbers, I know, just using them for an example) Now what if I chose not to do a glory lap of the scene (having memorized where the nodes are, which is counter-immersive). What if I just wanted to have a go at some random trees?

The math should be doable based on averages. It takes me longer to find a suitable random tree that's ready, perhaps it also takes me longer to harvest (this could be slightly variable too, to alleviate stagnancy in knowing the timer, and also better with skill). But anyway, the end result is: I'd make off with 7 logs in 15 minutes anyway (or make it 5 or 6?), but I had the player choice. The Node Masters maybe could still aim for the brown trees exclusively as that would be preferable to that play style?

You'd just alter the description on the brown trees to read "extra juicy" or something.

Just an idea but I reckon it has legs.

Maya SaintClaire likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The current forestry system and the harvesting of wood really does need some improvement.

A while back, I actually ran around to several tier 4 and higher areas that stated the top resource in them was trees. I then quickly found out that:

1. The tree nodes in them are TERRIBLE. Even with GM Forestry (and 95 forestry meticulous), trees mostly dropped 1 wood, and no meticulous ever happened.
    2. Trees are usually guarded by (or have near by) 1 - 6 (or even more) creatures.

In one example while out exploring that Tier 4 swamp, that stated the top resources were trees (both types), I at one point has to kill SIX wolves near a tree, and then chopped the tree and got 1 wood.

I finally just said FTS, walked out of the area, and headed back to the other areas where gathering wood IS actually rewarding (I've actually calculated the wood per hour in them).

Current system: No reason at all to explore, and literally terrible tree resources except for a few areas.

Anything that encourages exploration for this would be most welcome. As well as any re-thinking of Forestry harvesting would be welcome.

Elwyn, Astirian, Rentier and 2 others like this.
  3. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

@Jaesun : Sorry to hijack but: Where ARE the best places to harvest wood? I recently sold off all of my Maple and need to replace it. :(
    I think I know which tier 4 swamp your are referring to and, I agree it was a waste of time.

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  4. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I usually find a stag or boar on the overworld up near Port Graff and do the lap of shame. (I'm very grateful they exist!) I tend to avoid the doggies though.

5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Greymark forest for more maple.

6. Brent S

Brent S Avatar

Thanks! haven't been there in a long time. I mostly hang out in Twins foothills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.