Fishing Pole? Anyone? This game is not what it used to be back when I pledged

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leah Snow, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leah Snow

Leah Snow Avatar

I'm just back and having a helluva time trying to figure things out. I came back to craft, fight, and decorate a player home.

I decided I want to learn the cooking skill so I googled where to buy a fishing pole. No love, lol.

I am having issues finding the places I was told to go to to buy one (universal chat).

I'm not getting the warm fuzzy feeling of fun and excitement that I had back when I pledged.

And housing .. omg its crazy expensive. I was told that there are quests and thank you all for the info. I gyazo'd the info. I'll see if I can find those on google but something tells me I'll be old and maybe still fishless before I get one of those done, lol.

I guess, as many said in another post, some games aren't for everyone. I did have to leave the game in 2015 to take care of things in the real world. We'll see how it goes until the end of my new subscription.

If I feel the same then as I feel now, I will have to research and look for a new game to play. One that includes player housing and good solid info online that's recent and accurate and if I can't sort this game out, I bid you all farewell and wish for you all much luck, happiness, lovely player housing and many fish! :p

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

You can buy a fishing pole at a fishing merchant (usually on the docks in NPC towns and most POT's). Housing doesn't have to be expensive - you can buy homes for in game gold and craft your own furniture or buy furniture in-game from gold. The game does have a high learning curve, but talking to folks to in game will get you lots of info.

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Go to Mud, buy a pole at fishing vendor and some bait.
    There is a boat at the docks that will take you to the "fishing expedition", or you can fish from the dock. Put the bait in your non combat bar and click on it to get the casting (blue circle) target when near the water. Be sure to set your fishing skill to up arrow (gain). Not sure, but you may have to buy the fishing skill from a trainer. There is a trainer near the dock too.

Synergy Blaize and Leah Snow like this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Not sure what "gyazo'd" means :) but many if not most player-owned towns and several of the NPC towns have inns or other free housing available, that you can use until you complete an outskirts to get the free deed. (And yes, you can decorate an inn room, unless the innkeeper is unusually strict.)

And the row lot comes with a free two-story house, so you'll be able to spend your initial money on furnishings while you decide on a long-term goal and plan to get there. (If you love decorating, you probably will eventually want more than a row home, but it's plenty for someone just starting out.)

I won't claim, as some do, that housing in general isn't expensive. But that first starter deed and home IS free and more than enough for most casual players. It just takes a few hours or days of wandering around an Outskirts to get it (speed depending on how well your computer handles SotA).

Don't check Google. Really, just don't. Things in this game change so fast that anything you find via Google is almost guaranteed to be obsolete. The forums and universal chat are the places to go, or Twitch if you do that.

You can also buy fishing rods at any Crafting Supplies Merchant, found at any public crafting pavilion or nearby. Butchery and Cooking stations can sometimes be found there too, but more often, they're found upstairs above an NPC tavern.

But double-check before buying a rod. If your character was rolled anytime in the past year (not sure exactly when it started, but I suspect it was even earlier than that), you should have a fishing rod (and a cleaver and a cooking pot) already in your starting inventory. By default, when starting a new character, the tools are already equipped and dimmed out at the bottom of the inventory list, so they're easy to overlook.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I'm not sure how that free deed is presented to the player (waiting for the new quest system and journal before I get stuck in properly) but if it's not obvious at the start, maybe there could be a tooltip?

"Explore well my friend and you will soon be given a home of your very own in this brave new land..."

Or maybe Edvard or whoever tells you explicitly?

That could keep players engaged, if they know from the getgo there's a deed in it for them...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Xandra7 and Leah Snow like this.
  6. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

It's not. :-( You have to find out about it from other players, who will tell you the keyword ("deed") to use after you've completed the scene, THEN the NPC will give it to you. A new player who isn't either reading the forums, checking out videos, or talking to other players will probably never find out about it. (@Leah Snow, don't forget to use the keyword "gear" too, that's another one that may or may not show up if you don't know to ask.)

FrostII, Xandra7, Astirian and 2 others like this.
  7. Leah Snow

Leah Snow Avatar

"Grab GIFs & video up to 1080p and 60 seconds long. Capture more designs, more ideas, and more fun moments."

I am very big into decorating and have been since UO, EQ, EQ2, and SWTOR. Nice housing to decorate is one of my three requirements for any game. I guess I should have researched more before returning but I haven't really lost anything. I paid 9 bucks to revisit. Worth it just to see how things progressed since 2015. But I am very disappointed about the housing. I just can't and won't pay the asking price for domicile pixels :(. I've paid for housing in other games but not even close to what's required here.
    I have an I7, 32 GB RAM, and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti. My system is pretty good with every game I've played on it.

I'm more than a casual player unless the fun factor is missing. Then I move on. I got hooked on UO years ago and have been gaming every since. I spend far too much time behind the keyboard, lol.

I found the rod. Thanks :). and much of what I did find on Google is obsolete because it's old. Don't get me started on the map, lol, from where I was trying to find Mud and some of the other places mentioned in Universal.

Awesome! Thats where the cooking stations are! Thank you again.

My account is old but my old character was wiped. Shes not there anymore. This one is only a little over a week old.
    I'll check and see for the pole. I tried clicking the water earlier and nothing happened. I did buy a pole but it may get used up before the month is up. I do love fishing =)

Thanks so much for hitting all the points and especially thanks for telling me where the cooking and butcher stations are.

8. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

So...all those items you see in the store? You can generally buy them in game with in game currency (gold) from other players. You can even buy the Crowns used in the Crown Store, in game, with gold which then you can use on the items in the store. Now, you do have to earn the gold for it, sure; but it is doable. If you are a casual player it may seem impossible - but there are lots of nice craftable deco in game. I wouldn't give up so quickly without exploring what the possibilities are without paying cash :)

9. Leah Snow

Leah Snow Avatar

Thank you guys for the keyword prompts. ;)

I hope the new questing system is easier for players that are returning and new. The current state of *important* quests seem a little vague.

Many won't ask. They will just keep on keeping on or they will leave if not engaged.

I do hope for the best though. :) Maybe that's why the system is being reworked?

FrostII, Bedawyn and Astirian like this.
  10. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Welcome Back Leah!

This game is has a bit of a learning curve, but once you understand the concepts, it all becomes second nature.

Joining a Guild that has active members in your Timezone, can be invaluable for advice and assistance.

If you type /u ingame, you will see the Universal chat. To talk in it requires a $2 purchase of a Universal Chat Orb. (The minor cost was implemented to help keep the game free of spammers)
    The Community here, is by far, the most helpful group you will find in any game, so feel free to ask questions.

As mentioned above, you receive a free Row Lot deed for completing the Solace Bridge Quest line. Info on owning your first Row Lot Home can be found here.

And you also receive a free Village Lot Deed and House for completing the Main Shroud of the Avatar Questline.

Here are some helpful links to bookmark:

Feel free to keep asking questions.... I am sure you find the answers you seek.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  11. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

You probably figured this out already, but just in case:
    Step 1: Visit a crafting trainer and pay $100 to unlock the fishing skill.
    Step 2: Make sure you have a rod and that it is equipped.
    Step 3: Make sure you have some bait. You can buy bait from a fishing merchant, or get worms from clay piles or hoppers from cotton plants.
    Step 4: Drag your chosen bait to an empty spot on your utility bar.
    Step 5: When you're ready to fish, click the bait on your bar, then drag the red circle that appears over the water until it turns blue, then release.
    Step 6: Come to Ardoris and Fallin' Green for next week's fishing contest!

12. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Welcome back to New Britannia! You've fallen afoul of the normal introductory procedure of "why is this game so weird??"

If you think you're annoyed now, wait until you go vegetable shopping :mad::confused::D

(Pro tip: find a reliable player farmer *before* you start trying your hand at various recipes.)

Also, about the subscription. Perhaps I misunderstood or maybe a new player reading this post might misunderstand, but just so everyone is on the same page: you don't need a subscription to play the game. But thank you for supporting the continued development :) With that said, having those cotos on tap each month does make things more enjoyable and convenient, and you'll surely enjoy the monthly goodies as well.

Good luck out there.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also don't miss out on teleport to zone scrolls. No need to wander the map forever once you get a scene marked. Add your teleport to zone scrolls to your non combat bar and if un-encumbered click on it and use the control key as you hover over names of places you have visited. We can even mark mines. So finally we got a marking system. It made one of the hugest differences to me since I am not a map wanderer. I will sometimes to catch encounters some of which offer surprises when you clear them but be careful.

Don't give up you will find more fun than you realize at first glance. If I was in town and game ATM I would gladly mail you some scrolls. Also don't forget to check your rewards tab on the upper right hand of your screen. It's treasure chest.

If you purchased the game in a pledge or just purchased another way you will already have the orb to place in your inventory and more stuff. Ask anything in universe chat or if you have no orb type /z for zone chat. Then try asking a question that way.

To see if anyone is in a scene the first icon upper left shows an option called nearby players. You can also right click a name to see the whisper option.

We also have looking for group which is alt f. The Oracle gives 500 gold a day by answering her test. If you need some instructions check out Wizards Rest. I have instructions for the Oracle test inside the building and more game instructions on the bulletin boards and around town. Wizards Rest is behind Owlshead on a cliff.

So don't give up. There have been so many amazing additions to this game that are not always apparent at first glance. The community is one of the best I've ever seen. So don't hesitate to ask away to find out about so many very cool things. Best wishes to you.

FrostII likes this.
  14. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I guess in this case you will be surprised about the number and variety of decoration SotA has to offer. ;)

Just as @Jason_M already said the subscription is just for supporting the game and not need to play as SotA is free to play. At first it was pay to play as you had to buy at least the most basic package to play the game but they changed it I think 2 years ago.
    By paying the subscription you get 900 Cotos (best price) and each month additional swag. For R68 it is Lord British Round Shield, Lord British Leather Helm and Lord British Silver Serpent Spear and if you continue the subscription for a longer period you get additionally titles, dyes and potions you can e.g. read about here.
    To claim these items you will see in the top right corner a treasure chest. There you can find all rewards you have not claimed so far.

As others already said you get a PoT row deed for completing any of the three outskirts and an additional PoT village deed for completing the main story. But yes if that is not enough you have to pay somehow. There are sometimes avatar vendors selling deeds for gold but most likely you will need Cotos. These you can buy from Portalarium (e.g. by using the subscription) from other avatars or you sometimes get Cotos as loot.
    Instead of buying a complete new deed you can also upgrade the deeds you already have. A right click on an unused deed in your inventory will show some options and the needed Cotos to transform the deed.

Jason_M and Synergy Blaize like this.
  15. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Please don't. Players in private mode or doing immersive roleplay do not want whispers from strangers on the other side of town ("nearby" doesn't actually mean "nearby") who they've never seen or met. Personally, I consider it downright creepy and stalkerish to log in to my own lot, behind closed doors, with no one else around, and start getting whispers from strangers who are nowhere near my lot. That sort of thing is what Universal Chat is for.

As others have said, the costs involved in homeowning are the land, the taxes, and the house.

The first free row lot is pretty easy to get from the outskirts quest, but it is limited to player-owned towns. If like me, you were determined to live in a town that didn't have a player governor, upgrading could be expensive, but most people are happy in the POTs. Upgrading the size of a lot (from row to village, then perhaps to town or bigger) can also be expensive if you're not of a mind to complete the main storyline. But even with just a row deed, once you start looking at basements and dungeons and four-story houses, you get an awful lot of decorating space.

The taxes are easy if you're adventuring for gold or relying on the Oracle. Will take some more work if you're not, but it's doable.

The houses -- as you've heard, the row lot comes with a free two-story house included. Once you outgrow that:
    • The crown shop houses I suspect you were looking at when you said they were too expensive? Those are the luxury houses at the high-end of the market.
    • You can buy cheaper houses for gold from an estate agent or housing deeds merchant located above the bank.
    • Some houses are craftable, but they require so much granite and wood that doing so is a long-term goal (buying granite and wood for a house will be overly expensive right now, since everyone is buying up granite for dungeons and wood for mannequins).
    • If you've sprung to upgrade your POT deed to a PA deed that can be used in a NPC town, you might be able to get a great different row house for free. My shop in game is a three-story blue-tile row house, that I didn't have to purchase, because I picked a lot that had that house on it by default.
    • You can also find a mix of crafted, average, and high-end homes for sale on player vendors for gold. Many of these prices seem sky-high, and sometimes they are. Other times, they just seem that way because of our economic inflation, but once you get used to everything having two extra zeros on the end, the prices will seem more reasonable.
    • You didn't mention what pledge level you were in the past, but do remember to double-check your rewards window. There are so many houses on player vendors partly because many backers received multiple houses as pledge rewards.
    • If you have time to watch Twitch or join in-game contests, houses are not uncommon as prizes -- I have the village observatory home free from a contest. :) (Not that I have anywhere to put it yet, but that's my own fault.)
    If you do find you want the crowns for upgrading, I've found it much easier to acquire them through Twitch contests than in the game itself.

Cordelayne and Alley Oop like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I understand you don't like unsolicited communication from anyone but many players don't like to feel all alone in a new game. I've been here since the beginning when we had nothing at all just our character, 1 room, and a chicken. It was up to us to provide feedback to get many ideas for the game. Not everyone is in the same place as you.

I've helped many players and sure some don't want help but many do. There's so many little things many of us have to share when someone wants to know. Perhaps we will need a lock for players who don't want to be contacted which would send a note back that this player is locked from contact. Then you could keep in your own world.

Also for some this is their world of communication free from loneliness. We are all a mixture of needs, wants, and desires playing a game together. So privacy toggle is an excellent idea @DarkStarr @Chris. This should be allowed to be turned on and off at anytime.

If you ever desire to learn how to to sync songs with our wonderful music system. It is one of many group activities. Also there are lots of written tips around town in Wizards Rest like how-to get your gold and xp from the Oracle, how to send mail, how to sync songs and play music etc. So there are two sides to what you say to the new players.

Many play an online game for a community and some solo. I played a little of DC universe and didn't want to interact with others so I can appreciate your desire for privacy.

But we are still here if you change your mind. We used to only have teleport to friends as our fast travel which needed us to friend many players to have more fast travel options but now we have teleport to zone recently added.

Having that scroll in your inventory and on your non combat bar as you will see when clicking on it marks all locations you visit and has information about each scene visited so we don't have to rely on others for fast travel any longer if we don't choose. Plus you can hide your location so no one can see where you are at in options.

We can even mark mines for ease to get to mines without traveling through dangerous areas well after getting them marked that is.

The recipe for zone scroll is on the alchemist merchants or teachable from another player as are many other recipes.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yes, which is why there are LOTS of other options for communicating with people. Universal chat. Zone chat and local chat for folks who want to contact those in the same scene (and may not have a universal orb). Simple text chat to the folks around you. The forums. Discord. Twitch. In-game mail, which can be ignored until you're ready to deal with it. No one NEEDS to whisper strangers who have not offered themselves as contacts in order to get the help they need or the social contact they want. It's just basic courtesy to use the channels where people have chosen to make themselves available, and not to use options you'd consider rude in real life.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

As far as housing....dont sweat it too much..There are towns that offer free housing as well Knight's Watch is one of them. Its in Hidden Vale but easy enough to find. Send me a shout out/friend invite and i can hook ya up

19. Gyzarus

Gyzarus Avatar

Go visit Alphaine Mine's house in festival

20. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I don't think you will find a more extensive housing system in any other game with as much deco options as this one. They do have future plans as well to expand housing further with more modular concepts to design your own house but that is sometime more likely in Ep2 based on the information provided. cost of housing depends on what you want to do. Free ones are given through quests so you dont have to buy. you can craft some basic houses or buy some from other players with out having to spend any real money. Money is alot easier to get then the days of old. If you group up with people you can level pretty quick and get into areas where you will make thousands which wont take long to save up to buy what you want from others for fancy deco beyond the thousands of items you can craft or find to place in your house.

Rods as mentioned you found one which is great, the game is harder then many others as it has very little hand holding and its more about learning through exploring and talking to other players. Even 4+ years later I am still learning new things every week. And every patch that comes there is new items and content added as well updates to older systems to improve them or expand. fun is a hard thing to define as each persons views are different. My fun is in the Market I helped build and looking after customers needs etc. I also do enjoy dungeon runs seeing artifacts and essence for my dungeon to level it up. there is Money in everything out there that you harvest so I recommend looking up SOTA pricelists to see the true value of what you have. Find a guild that can offer you a vendor to use and Start building your empire :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.