Single-Player Offline Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heradite, Aug 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

1) I know mobs don't spawn but resources do? What's the timer for resource spawn? I'm trying to get gold to get enchantment on alchemy but like...it's so tedious. 4 freaking gold ingots. So many. I thought crafting was a strength in this game? I'm trying to figure out crafting. Also, where's a good place to get gold in a tier two area near Adoris? Don't want to travel too far.
    2) Do NPCs restock their items? I hope so. Then again I thought there would be an option to buy back stuff I accidentally sold (by having that item appear in the vendor's purchase) and that wasn't the case as far as I could tell. Had to get the iron blade for that refugee twice because of that.
    3) Why can't I buy gold ingots anyways? There's no player economy to wreck. And why are houses so expensive?
    4) I've "bought" some stuff on the Crown Store using I think Kickstarter awards and some stuff that dropped from the monsters. Does this mean I also bought the stuff online? Is it separate? Did I lose those coins online but didn't get the items online? I have no intention of buying any crowns with real money but would still like to know.
    5) Since I can listen to the radio (yay!) while in single-player offline...would be nice if there was a way to "sync" to the player economy. It would be one-way (from online to offline only). Not sure how it would work but maybe the public vendors get all the vendors (private and public) stocks. You have to manually sync it though.
    6) Are those POTs I see near Adoris? Or NPC towns? If they are POTs...are they just empty? If so, please cheapen lot prices significantly so that I can fill up the world.

--
    More Quick Notes
    1) There's a guild person who tells me this is for online avatars only. Ruins the immersion. Either remove the NPC for single-player offline or allow me to build up a guild of randomly generated (or let me create them) NPCs that can join your party. You could have daily missions for these guilds. Wait does SOTA even do daily missions?
    2) There seems to be no use for a vendor for me unless you somehow have NPCs randomly buying my stuff. If so, cool.
    3) My map for the East Perennial Trail won't work. Do I have to buy the map now or is there just no map for adventure zones in single-player offline now? Seems lame. I don't need a map to tell me where quest stuff is but I'd like a map to have a better sense of where I am when navigating.
    4) I seem to have no control over my companion's abilities. Boo.
    5) Crafting items lose durability too fast.
    6) Started farming garlic. No idea how fast it will grow? Does time pass in single-player offline when I'm not playing?

Chatele and Astirian like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

1: I THINK it's the same as online. Best place for gold is the Etceter Crag mines. It's higher tier but.. since the mobs don't respawn... if you can clear it you're golden.. err yeah. Not sure of a good lower tier gold spot. Best to just get your level up.
    2: NPCs don't really run out. If there's a limit to how much you can buy.. just start over. It refreshes right away.
    3: Offline suffers from online design unfortunately. You're meant to collect or buy from other players so.. can't buy it offline either. :p
    4: Online and offline is completely separate.. no worries. you can still claim any online rewards while offline too and it won't affect any online claims.
    6: NPCs towns. Player owned towns were removed offline. They decided it was too much trouble to try to get them to work. *sigh*

Astirian and Heradite like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'd report this as a bug.

Yes it does. It's the same as online.

Heradite likes this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think the best source in the early game for gold is probably the plains encounters, they usually have 4-6 nodes each. It's not a lot, but all the really good places are tier 5 and up. There's a tier 2 "gold mine" near Blood River (Understorm Gold Mine) but if I recall there was only a few nodes. Though, if the mobs don't respawn, it might not be too bad, if the nodes respawn fairly quickly.

5. sarbonn

sarbonn Avatar

I tried playing offline some time ago, but just stopped because it was so obvious how lonely the world actually is without another real soul existing in it. Just not seeing a single player town was enough to cause me to stop logging in. I put down a home in Britain where Lord British's castle is, but I felt so alone in that city.

The game was really designed to be built around other people. Even when the main game seems to be lacking people, the game becomes very lonely.

Chatele and ephialtes like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

https://www.sotalore.com/farming

7. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

If they somehow implemented my guild idea, you could in theory buy homes for your guild members and their homes could slowly procedurally generate content based on how much money they earn by journeying through you (or you sending them on journeys). You would see the world slowly fill up then. Lots would have to be way cheaper though.

Of course, then they could collect items, craft items, and sell items with their own vendors (and buy stuff from your own vendor) and you could "simulate" the player market to a degree (but without affecting drop rates/NPCs buying/selling at their current prices).

This feature will obviously never happen but man it would be cool.

Chatele likes this.
  8. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Mobs don't respawn? They were when I was playing offline, it drove me crazy. Yay if they've improved it since then.

My low-tier gold zone is East Perennial. There are several nodes there. Though I haven't been finding as many lately; I'm not sure if they reduced them or if I'm just not finding them since I don't explore as thoroughly on later visits as I always do the first time. I suspect it's the latter.

This is one of my pet "why the heck doesn't it work this way?!?" things.

4) Can't speak to kickstarter awards, but yeah, crowns you looted offline only ever existed offline and what you buy with them only exists offline.

This is another one I really wish we had. Just once a month, with the new release, let the offline public vendors update with stock identical to what's on that same vendor online that day. (Some folks have complained that this would be stealing from the people selling on the public vendors online, but that complaint makes no sense, since the items would still be available to sell online.) This solution would help offline players a lot -- making the world more dynamic, making it seem less empty, and giving people access to goods that are otherwise hard or impossible to find offline.

I actually like the guild registrars, it's another person to help fill up the world. But they ought to be more careful about where they place them, so we don't have these fancy wealthy-appearing registrars appearing in humble villages where they're out of place.

Nope. They'll take your money or crowns to sell you a vendor, and then it just sits down so you can't even use it to pretend there's another person walking about. Can't even use it to store stuff for yourself. (I bought one intending to let my offline alts sell stuff back and forth to each other, since my adventurer had no interest in crafting and I wanted each alt to earn their own way in life. That was a waste of crowns -- and then a month later they smushed all the alts into one person, or I'd still be playing offline.)

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I believe it depends on where you are. Normal adventure scenes should respawn (I think the rate is a little slower though?) but a lot of interior scenes such as mines don't.

10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The map system changed this R69 from online to local maps. They look better, performance is better, but not all maps are working at this moment, they have to be modified.

I also asked about and supposed to do all maps with questline areas first. Hoping, this will happen.
    However: there are places where no map was before - like Solania Catacombs (unfortunately, because this is a quest area ...)

11. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

You'd think for the maps they haven't done yet they would just use the online maps with a helpful tooltip saying that's temporary until they can get all the maps done. But that's probably why I'm just a lowly writer and not a game dev.

12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s 4 daily repeatable quests: Cabalist, 5 Love Letters, Rune Bag, and the extortion quest from Umberjack (you can do this without talking a Virtue hit).

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What and where is this quest?

Cordelayne likes this.
  14. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

If you haven’t done this yet, speak to Sigrunn in Noreach. She will eventually lead you to the Rune Bags.

15. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

They must have been added back up because I just visited an empty town map with no housing a town crier and a bank. Also, since the Necropolis is tier 5 and in red should I try figuring out a path to the other two cities and starting the paths?

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The "player run towns" are still in game. They are technically "NPC" towns in that they are not owned by players but they don't have much in the way of housing.. Just a small town center. A player owned town wouldn't have any buildings at all.

On Necropolis.. no you don't need to. The zone is Tier 5 but the entrance to the Necropolis is right near the entrance to the zone and can be reached safely.. and inside is geared for lower levels. Still, it's a good idea to pick up all the companions first before proceeding far along any of the paths. They're not all that smart but they are somewhat useful and get stronger as you level up. You'll be able to do a lot more with them than you can solo. Plus if they die you can just resummons them.. Depending on the situation I set them to either passive or aggressive to keep some control over what they're doing.

17. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I think they should either also remove PRTs for the single player component or give the players the ability to create an NPC town but the latter is madness to consider right now.

I just think a weird empty town looks dreadful in SP.

smack and Heradite like this.
  18. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

WHY IS FIONA'S WHISTLE COUNTDOWN FIVE MINUTES? Sammael's is 10 seconds. Seriously. WHY? That means I'm just standing there for FIVE MINUTES. Maybe I should just give up.

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Doesn't it depend on how quickly you got her killed off? If you summon one of the regular companions and they live for more than 5 minutes you're in good shape. If you summon her and she gets killed right away and you need her then you're in trouble. I've found that's rarely the case though if you're not reckless with them.

Sammael is a temporary companion. He's meant to help you through story zones and you can't use him outside of those. But regular companions can go with you anywhere. If you could just spam summon them wouldn't that be a bit exploitive? You could just hide behind a rock and let them do all the work.. oh they died again.. re-summon.. I've got no issue with the timer. I just leave them all summoned most of the time and it's rarely an issue.

Also, can't summon them while they're a corpse. So it's a good idea to have some healing.

20. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

1) Who cares if it's exploitative or not? It's a single-player game! If I'm exploiting stuff in single-player offline, it doesn't affect anyone else! I'm not even trying to exploit them but if I'm going through a tricky part and I die twice in a row then I want to be able to go right back to the action in freakin' single-player. Giving me five minutes on whether I want to actually beat the story isn't good...it's just frustrating. I was able to make it through that section but eventually quit the story when I got to a ghost and it seemed to heal faster than I could damage it. Went to Resolute to pick up the second companion. But this whole "well wouldn't people able to just spam it?" Well...so what? If that's what they enjoy let them do it! 'Course then I was dumb and used a scroll of recall to get back to Adoris so...I guess I'm gonna have to walk back to Resolute cause I can't bind to more than one lot. "Fun."
    2) Fiona did die once and I reloaded the game and her corpse was gone. It's silly because I have no idea what the corpse respawn timer is. I'm more sad when my clockwork pet dies because then it won't follow me blasting SOTA radio. No idea why my non-combat pet can even die.

Astirian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.