Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Map Works When It Feels Like It

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by BloodyEpidemic, Sep 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BloodyEpidemic

BloodyEpidemic Avatar

1. Reproduction Rate: 80% chance of any scene I enter will not have a map ("Map not available").
    2. Blocker? : No, but quite hindering (and very frustrating).
    3. Details: Map does not load in many areas. Map icons (people and places) totally gone.
    4. Steps to Reproduce: Go to a scene (80% chance no map). 100% chance no icons.
    5. User Specs: Win 10 x64
    6. Note: Tried the AV whitelisting BS. No dice. This didn't seem to start occurring until the most recent release. Also, no option to force refresh anymore (like I used to have).

uhop likes this.
  2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The new map system and maps for areas is still work in progress. Some areas have an existing map and are getting set up on the new map system. Some areas don’t have a map yet and those have to be made by hand then added to the game.

3. BloodyEpidemic

BloodyEpidemic Avatar

So what you're saying is they're developing and testing a new system for production... In the production environment? If so, what kind of BS amateur hour is going on here?

4. Julcar

Julcar Avatar

Can map development be worked on the QA server while still keeping the old map system on the live server?

5. BloodyEpidemic

BloodyEpidemic Avatar

One would assume if designed correctly.

Proper (high-level) cycle:

Dev: Create and test new thing
    QA: Test more and try to break new thing
    UAT: Beta test on non-prod server with player testers for new thing
    Prod: Implement and monitor new thing

6. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

The new map system is fully functional in regards to functionality; content is what is lagging behind. Each map has to be individually calibrated in order for the locations to be correct (we are working on it). For this release I made a pass that included all city maps, all POT maps, starting scenes, and the 50 most popular scenes in which we had art content for. If you would like to list which scenes without a map are hindering your experience I would be happy to bump their priority.

The old system is deprecated and extremely cumbersome to maintain. That doesn't even touch on the stability problems, connection requirement, or data issues with the old system. It will not be returning to the game client.

Alley Oop, Steevodeevo and Jaesun like this.
  7. BloodyEpidemic

BloodyEpidemic Avatar

I'm a relatively new player so I don't know what the "hot" zones to be in are. I wander, find quests, and do stuff.

It just would have been nice to have at bare minimum a static map in the interim. What's the ETA-ish for full content?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.