We need a player run (web) newspaper

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

After watching the livestream today it hit me.

People outside of the game have no idea all the things happening.

People inside (me, you?) miss a ton of it too.

I would love to have a newspaper we can refer to. I would prefer it use modern style, look like Wired one of the news apps, with lots of stories on the front page in nice, not all the same size boxes.

Some of the things that would be on there right now, some I just learned from the livestream
    • The Kettle Drums of Ulfhiem ( :) )
    • The new gustball field and balls
    • Where did the Vault go? with follow up now that we know
    • Scoring from the EVL tournament every week
    • Tomorrows dance party
    • Embedded events calendar
    • Screenshots of the moment
    • They are fixing the container issue
    • etc.
    etc. I'd be happy to be a writer for it, but I don't have the oomph to build it. I would suggest giving the developers writer access so if there is a little teaser they want to throw in they can quickly do so. Make picture upload easy as well please.

There is enough going on, tons of things that never get seen, that it would have a lot of content. People who are watching the livestreams have a sizeable flow of little stories and tidbits. Let them contribute.

This lets those who can't watch still get the news, and generates searchable text so that Shroud can start to get seen by the Google and the Morass.

2. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thanks, but that looks like an RSS feed of the forums. If the forums carried the info I wouldn't need to ask, I already read the forums! :)

And I should have linked to Wired for the purpose of the "boxes with screenshots in the teasers" example.

I'm not saying you guys wouldn't be the perfect duo to run it, considering you already do the news, but what you linked isn't there yet.

Curse2 likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I wasn't even fully aware someone was doing regular news. or perhaps rather still doing it?

I for run can't watch most of the streams for a couple of reasons.. limited bandwidth and they're all live when I'm at work etc...

Belladonna Rose, Rentier and Curse2 like this.
  5. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I guess it would help if the official news came through board and easy to read channels - and not live streams and side comments.
    The board also should be the prime source of information for player created content.

arcdevil and Curse2 like this.
  6. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Well they could get radical and actually post news and information on the forum and website, you know like they used to rather than using a glorified system of Chinese whispers on Chris's stream of consciousness show.

Seriously how hard can it be ?

The idea is fine as a supplement for what Port should be doing anyway but not as a replacement for it imho.

When they do post it's only to advertise dance parties in dodgy looking "nightclubs".

And people wonder why the population is flat lining again.

CrandalltheFoole and arcdevil like this.
  7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

There was one that looked like a newspaper. No one contributed, it died.

arcdevil likes this.
  8. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I think this would have been a more successful endeavor were it started early in development when general interest was higher or possibly in the future if and when interest increases.

9. Curse2

Curse2 Avatar

I think you have a good idea. Hope my vote does not tarnish the effort in any way :)

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No worries :)

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As with many things.. it's not so much a matter of a 'level of interest' so much as the need for someone with the drive to do it regardless. As any community endeavor.. if the person leading it loses personal interest.. 9 times out of 10 that'll be it. Where that personal interest comes from is another thing entirely. Point is.. there just needs to be someone who wants to actually do it.. and keep doing it.

Bedawyn likes this.
  12. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Spoilt for choice!

https://www.reddit.com/r/SOTA/ and NBNN news.

If any other platform needed to be built, i'd suggest it be an in game intranet of sorts.

/r/SOTA on reddit has been set up as bit of a RP hub, main reason is to have a place to discuss and report things from an in game perspective. Filled with links of tools for event creators atm, but I intend to encourage citizen reporting to help get people more informed about the world on the other side of the portal.

Content like:

X Shops opens up.
    X animal/creature seen in the wild for first time!
    Collection of images from X event.
    Interview with role players living in their world. (includes devs and their lives in game?)

Basically, a place to watch an organic world change from day to day with the intention of news from Novian Citizens for novian citizens.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I can do this and more in a short time but it would have a cost, server, domain, and all effort for daily news.
    My plan would be to also use that website for all kind of information, all in one, which would include: news feed, help document on how to make deck, builds and playability in general. working cabalist clock, free elastic search api helper, event calendar, secrets of sota, and more.

I would need 600 to start, then id place a donation button on the site for the futur maintenance and updates. Why? Cause it would require a good 2 week of work just to build the website and everything around it. To maintain it by adding people, watching closely every news sent since now id be responsible for content shown on the website by others people + the time spent everyday watching interminable streams and reading forum/discord. This also include the server cost, domain name and everything around it. Also if donation doesnt work, all this would be done for nothing cause i wouldnt be motivated enough to keep the daily work going on. Which is the reason id place more than just news feed on the website, so people can be attracted by it and only go in one place.

So thats my offer as a freelancer :p if you guys want this project to live im probably the guy with the most free time around here. All you need is a group of people willing to make it live together. This would also proove that there is people that actually would participate seriously in the project.

edit: not sure what you are looking for from wired, i hate it when alot of box are interlacing each other it feel hard to see, so i made this image as to what i got in head for a "news" site. Same utility found as wired just placed in a more clean and viewable way i think

https://pasteboard.co/IxuGbtX.png
    (top 5 popular on the right, slideshow with all news since 7 day on bottom, all other in archives)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Fiero Steele and Lesni like this.
  14. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

We had a couple. They all died.
    I would be willing to fire one up again but this time not alone.

arcdevil likes this.
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Thanks for the offers. Pretty close to when I posted this someone offered to handle the website if I and others will do the writing. If you're interested in entering news items when you see them on livestreams and such, let me know.

Long stories are nice, but most of our news comes in small headline sized bites, so for those it won't take a lot of effort so much as entering the item when you hear it mentioned during a stream or something.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't find much motivation unless others show real interest. I think that's probably true of a lot of people. That said.. I'm already paying for my own domain services.. so I'm in a good position to host. I wouldn't even mind paying for a domain. But someone else would have to run it.

17. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

Would be cool to set it up like and old style newspaper like the Harry Potter newspaper.....but thats just me. Small ads and boxes for stories and news. Big news is the headliner and such. This can be done on a 'blogger' format as well. If you dont responses from readers simply turn that part off. But if anyone wanted to post a news story or what not they would have to have communication with the writers and editors. Just a thought. Most blog pages can be free to use

Lesni likes this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A newspaper is in the process of being launched, thank you very much @that_shawn_guy .

Please message me if you would like to be a contributor.

This requires very little effort or as much as you would like to put in. For instance, if you watch the livestreams, it would be handy if you put in snippits of news, even if they are little more than a headline.

And if you would like to be a full on reporter, that is wonderful too! Perhaps once this gets momentum we can convince the devs to put a reporter hat in game!

Guild Criers, please message me so you can post your events in the calendar, a blurb announcing them, and your post event story.

Anyone else running events should message me so you can have access as well.

Belladonna Rose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.