Did they ever fix the everyone can look in everyones containers issue?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ostvel, Sep 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Just add a locking mechanism to the game. :D

Hemswal The Descended likes this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I realllllly hate this "bug" or "feature" -
    I share materials with a couple of other players, so even if private 'worked' we'd lose the share functionality.
    I do not like that anyone can wander in and just start poking through the cupboards by default. Especially if you use as your main residence a pavilion that has no doors to lock. I really can't fathom the reason why this would be the desired functionality. We have people in town who are locking houses and pulling lots until this is addressed. It was absolutely fine the way it worked for years: If your name isn't on the list, you can't interact with the containers at all. If I want people to be able to rummage, I will give them permission to rummage.

Lace, Spoon, Geaux and 2 others like this.
  3. Bryce Pallaton

Bryce Pallaton Avatar

It seems that we're missing several levels of granularity here.

People who can neither take from a container nor put into a container should not be open the container. I would take it on faith that this is self explanatory and should be obvious to everyone, except then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So that means another permission type: View Contents. Now, obviously someone who is disallowed viewing the contents of a container can neither take from that container nor put into that container. I feel that I repeat myself.

But it's not the only thing.

I need to say, "You can use this item, but not move it." So a friend can water my crops but not move my planters around, for example. It happens all the time, and generally it's an accident - double clicking an item to use it often moves it as well.

And why can't I let anyone who comes onto my lot use my banking terminal? Again, they shouldn't be able to move it, and they certainly shouldn't be able to take it, but they should be able to use it. Why not? It's not like they're looking into my bank.

It really shouldn't be this difficult.

Lace, Rentier and Spoon like this.
  4. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Prize containers are one use case where allowing the public to view the contents is helpful. For instance, right now I have an exchange trunk set up where people who won a prize from the last fishing contest can see what options are available if they want to switch out one of the prizes they won for something else. And certainly it's nice to let contestants see what the prizes will be BEFORE we know who has actually won.

The solution seems simple to me -- chests require a locking mechanism to craft, so they shouldn't be openable, while trunks and such without a locking mechanism should allow anyone to look in.

5. Lace

Lace Avatar

I like your idea of prize containers cool thing, but folks with not affiliation to a lot should not be able to go through folks stuff when they are not looking. This is not survivor we should not be looking in other folks bags for hidden immunity idols.

I respect all the work done into permissions to expand the system, but this non-option for players is bad. By default allowing folks to view should be set to off, add one to allow viewing of contents. We have all this add/remove/modify .. this new implementation requires now a view.

Ostvel likes this.
  6. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

In the short term, use containers inside containers to keep people from snooping. But, I'm hoping this is just a precursor to locking and trapping chests.

StarLord and Witcheypoo like this.
  7. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Ostvel likes this.
  8. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

In the livestream today, Chris said this would be fixed in the next patch.

smack and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Next patch in two to three hours.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  10. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Done...No feeling naked anymore.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not fixed. I can still look into other people's containers.

Jaesun and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, but now you take a virtue hit.

#ActionsHaveConsequences

13. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.