Latency / LAG > Ping Issues!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by oOUnknownUserOo, Sep 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oOUnknownUserOo

oOUnknownUserOo Avatar

This is the first game in 20 years that I have seen performance issues this bad. I have always had top of the line gaming systems because eye candy is important to me. Even running this game with a 2080TI and CPU clocked at 5Ghz its still not the best performance.

However lets forget about FPS...I can maintain over 90FPS at 4k (except with memory leaks, and some spells cast - but think most people have these issues) I'm having / and others are having some serious latency issues, and even worse in party mode. This has to do with the route / hops and round trip packet information being sent and received.

I am on a fiber optic line at 600mbps down and 30 up with a ping to my host of 7 to 11 ms. I have never once experienced any sort of latency issues like there are in SoTA and its frustrating to no end. I have even resorted to trying a private VPN and a service called WTFast both are worse.

I'm assuming the IP address of either the login server / or game server is: 38.140.214.157 and of course when I ping this server it times out as it protects from floods. However, if that is really the server IP I would love to see the actual ping results. If its not ping then it has to be server performance issues itself / or specific zone issues. I'm doubting there are several servers per instances (but could be wrong) sure does not seem like it.

If I do a tracert I'm sitting around 80ms which is decent and can handle that... However, according to the WTFast logs when connecting to their VPN I'm sitting at 95-98ms, with spikes up to 150ms which is not acceptable by any means.

Nothing like trying to group and all of a sudden there is rubber banding... your damage numbers turn to grey 0's and then you come back dead.

I'm new to the game, dropped close to $1000 my first month and at this point have mixed feelings if its even worth continuing.

I sent an email to Support@Portalarium.com on 8/11/2019 and have not received a reply besides their auto reply.

"
    PORTALARIUM

AUG 12, 2019 | 03:01AM UTC

Thank you for contacting us! We have received your request and are working on responding to you as soon as possible.

Since we are a small team, please allow up to 10 business days for a reply. During release weeks, responses may take longer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you in advance in your understanding.

If you have any additional information to add to this case, please reply to this email at any time. For a faster response, please do not submit an additional ticket. Thank you."

Reading reviews everywhere talks about performance issues... I've played top MMO's, Alpha's and Beta's from Steam, but seriously feels like this is running on a 386SX from '96. I don't mind shelling out $$$$ for hardware but when it comes to latency issues there is nothing more I can really do, I don't experience this in anything I play. I also compete in SimRacing... and if latency was like this man there would be crazy amounts of accidents.

Arya Stoneheart likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello @oOUnknownUserOo. Sorry you are having issues. How much ram do you have? Can you let us know a little more about your system? I don't have issues myself. I have 32gb ram, run the game on an sad, and have a nvidia 1060.

Also to note this game is unlike pretty much any other game since there is a massive amount to load. I'll be returning from a trip and to the game Sept 22 if I can help. I'm Majoria in game.

I've been playing since 2013. The last Thursday of almost every month is release day and sometimes performance issues come up as the devs add and change out things but they patch in fixes for issues too.

3. Katu

Katu Avatar

1000$ does not guarantee answer. Add atleast one "0" and you might get a reply.

I played with oldish PC with 1GB cable connection, from Finland. A lot of issues with this game, but I can't remember dieing because of lag.
    Server is located at US, Texas, Austin. I think.

4. oOUnknownUserOo

oOUnknownUserOo Avatar

So I don't think my system specifications are of any issue. I run higher demanding games, and applications without any sort of issue and have a few systems here.

1st system is: Intel i7 @ 5Ghz (OC), Nvidia 2080TI, 32GB Ram, 3 sound Cards, 1350W Power Supply, and so much more. This system powers a $50,000 motion simulator which has software that by far more demanding than this game.

2nd system is: Aorus x15 Gaming Laptop, Intel I7, Nvidia 2070, 16GB Ram. This system has also been bench marked running 4k.

I don't think Ram has much to do with it and with an overlay I don't come close to bottle necking the GPU or CPU. All systems are up to date with drivers and everything else runs fine. If anything more ram "could" help with stability, but has nothing to do with latency as I said this is not a FPS issue.

I'm in Canada, with fast internet and as above my tracert times (IF that is the right server) round trip were around or below the 80ms which is fine for even competitive gaming.

I get it that $$$ does not dictate a reply, but I'm now hesitant to shell out another $1,000 / month to have these sorts of issues its not heard of.

I sent my DXdiag files to support in that email, also my tracert results. Its not my systems / or my internet that is for sure, but it's now my problem if they don't provide answers.

5. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Support@Portalarium.com is pretty much useless since they don't have a CM managing it. I have sent 5 requests via email with no response.
    You're best bet is either Chris's streams or Discord. I DM'd a dev on Discord when I saw that he was on and he answered and helped me immediately. I would recommend trying those options next.

6. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

I don't run 4k but I have a triple monitor set up, 256 SSD , 16gig ram on a Alienware laptop running an external video card box with a Nvidia 1060 GeForce 6gig card. And I have no lag issues like the ones you describe even in large groups on a 60meg cable internet connection

7. oOUnknownUserOo

oOUnknownUserOo Avatar

Yeah I'm lost... all my systems run SSD. The racing rig has 1 2TB SSD and 2 1TB SSD's, even the laptop has an SSD. Heck... I even add SSD's to the console systems here. As I previously said I buy the best hardware available to ensure that I can have eye candy. I don't think this has to do with FPS though its more latency issues / ping.

Can anyone confirm the server IP?

Also - it does seem worse in groups... I see the spikes there even if people join my party. There are a few individuals with whom I cannot even group with because it gets crazy with rubber banding.

What discord channel to I go to? I sent some GM Atos a message when I seen him online in game but he never responded to me.

8. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

https://discord.gg/shroudoftheavatar

with groups, it's important for the scene master (first one in) to be the one with the best connection. everyone elses' performance is dependent on them.

Jaesun likes this.
  9. oOUnknownUserOo

oOUnknownUserOo Avatar

Thanks! So if I use a private / or party and I'm the first one in I should not be seeing the issues as I would be hosting. However, still have the issue. It gets worse with specific people in the group... and also some specific instances.

10. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

Wow. Its been a while since ive heard someone speak of TracerT to find where the lag is comming from,. Brings back memory of my quake2 days on a 56k modem...

For your issue, i dont think anyone can help sadly, my gut feeling says its bad network coding . Specially if you dont see any hops dropping packets.

11. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Hmmm noticed something else, it shouldn't matter, but if you are on fiber the down and up should be the same, ie 600 down/600 up

12. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

You sounds like you are on a hybrid, is it cable or phone company

13. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Also vpns are notorious for bottlenecking

14. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

(I'm sorry for multi posting I'm doing this from my phone)

Another thing to look at with trace route is see where it drops at, if it's within the first few hops say (10 maybe) it can be a result of one of your providers locations on their Network

15. oOUnknownUserOo

oOUnknownUserOo Avatar

The upload is capped but that isn't the problem. 30 up is still fast enough.

Here is the trace. It would be nice to be able to just ping the server and then I would know exactly what the issue is.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms [INTERNAL HIDDEN]
    2 10 ms 8 ms 18 ms [MY IP HIDDEN]
    3 12 ms 12 ms 9 ms rc3no-be116-1.cg.shawcable.net [MY ISP HIDDEN]
    4 27 ms 27 ms 26 ms rc2wt-be100.wa.shawcable.net [MY ISP HIDDEN]
    5 30 ms 31 ms 29 ms rc1wt-be18-1.wa.shawcable.net [MY ISP HIDDEN]
    6 30 ms 28 ms 30 ms be4476.ccr21.sea02.atlas.cogentco.com [38.88.252.161]
    7 50 ms 49 ms 48 ms be2085.ccr21.slc01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.2.198]
    8 61 ms 59 ms 59 ms be3037.ccr21.den01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.41.146]
    9 74 ms 72 ms 72 ms be3046.ccr21.elp01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.0.45]
    10 76 ms 75 ms 75 ms be2301.ccr21.sat01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.5.173]
    11 79 ms 75 ms 75 ms be2876.rcr52.aus02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.24.205]
    12 77 ms 79 ms 79 ms te0-2-0-19.rcr51.b043596-0.aus02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.29.86]
    13 77 ms 76 ms 77 ms te0-0-1-0.nr11.b006630-0.aus02.atlas.cogentco.com [154.24.52.174]
    14 * * * TIMES OUT HERE**

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.