Drain focus mechanic in SotA must be deleted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I really think that the drain focus mechanic in both PVP and PVE should be removed from the game as soon as possible.
    It's pretty annoying for everyone except kiters, in sota almost every action is based on focus,we don' have such things like rage or energy, our actions are limited by focus, even jumping and this only leaves room to builds based of kiting and passive damage.

If you think about it, even simple actions like defense skills are focus-based, imagine a tank struggling with a group of zombies, you won't even be able to taunt them and keep them away from your mates without focus.

I totally understand when it comes to dosing the focus for the success of the fight, but that this is reset to zero by mobs and poisons in a matter of seconds without the possibility of regenerating it, well it lets pass the desire to play.

I really hope you can consider the option to remove that mechanic or replace it with something else.

@Chris

2. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

It's pretty annoying even when kiting. When my group goes to Tartarus or Depair and the Turbo Zombies show up i have no chance of retaining even a little bit of Focus. Even with all possible Speed Buffs i am without Focus in seconds. I am the Tank of my group btw.
    Despair is even worse. The neverending respawn of the Zombies results in having no Focus ever. We only succeed there because we operate very well together.

Engel, Chatele, tolgator and 2 others like this.
  3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I have to agree, its a bit much, its ok for me with my fire mage build and a ton of move rate to keep away from the zombies, but not enough move rate, your outta focus ,and melee people, well forget about it, this is why they dont go there.

4. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Tamers seem to do fine against these zombies as long as their pets maintain aggro, which doesn't seem to be a problem in even these 10+ scenes.

Mac2 likes this.
  5. Feldon Grimshaw

Feldon Grimshaw Avatar

Exactly. No melee fighter, no matter how skilled has a snowball's chance in Tartarus or Despair.

Mac2 and Botocks like this.
  6. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

For PvP - That's the point, removing it would be dumb and cripple bludgeon even more then it already is. (Yes I know bludgeon 'can' do amazing things but if you were to rank them on a tier list compared to other builds like other games do they would be a solid D tier overall and maybe a C in a group setting) Removing focus drain from trying to break out of stuns/knockdown would plummet them to F tier.
    For PvE - Yeah the Mob v Player drain is a bit (and by that I mean obscenely) overpowered.

7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

I really think you misunderstood, i'm talking about aether corpion poisons focus drain ( It works exactly like the zombie one, fast autoattack means 0 focus in matter of seconds) and zombies focus drain, not the focus cost of jumping.

Engel and Mac2 like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Ya a good pet and using is wisely is a way to get around it.

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It’s a pretty unfun mechanic. I like challenging content, but it sucks when you can barely even use any of your skills.

Engel, Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  10. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Yea, I kind of agree, melee is already getting kind of screwed over by the fact that they have to take hits to even attack, wrecking their focus over it doesn't seem fair.

But I think focus in general needs some kind of rework, because it's bizarre how warriors and archers are always out of focus, but anyone playing a half way serious mage just has their focus nailed to the end of the bar permanently. I'd infinitely prefer some kind of mechanic where you have to manage your focus with actions that utilize and actions that replenish it.

Boris Mondragon and Floors like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Like confusion?

Gravidy likes this.
  12. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Nah, not really. Confusion can be pretty annoying sometimes, but it can also be pretty good when it's not overdone. There's been lots of times I got confused by a troll stomp or something, had no counter up, and had to get under control to avoid dying. I try to avoid that, but I'd be lying if I said it was never fun and/or challenging. Getting endlessly spammed with confusion or running into confusion mist plants everywhere you step, otoh, isn't really ever fun.

Focus drains are still different though, because you just don't even really get to play your guy if you play something that has to eat those. It's not totally impossible, but it's super duper slow and tedius and not fun or worth it.

Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  13. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

I think Despite is used to by party zone for groups, if it so, just bring good Air mage with 10+ seconds aoe stuns to solve focus drain issues for party(almost anything will die in 10 sec under RoF+fireballs and MS)

14. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

Not everyone is super high level and can kill a swarm of 10-15 Zombies and 10 ghosts in a few seconds. And if you don't kill them fast enough then only a couple seconds is needed to completely drain you of focus. Then you (i as a Tank) can't Taunt anymore. Maybe an Air Mage gets aggro, is without Focus in a few seconds. No more stuns. Next without Focus are Fire mages and so on...

I understand what you are saying. But when there is a Mob attack that i can not counter it is simply not fun. A Focus Drain Debuff i can remove with Purify would be ok. That would add some depth to fight mechanics and encourage teamplay even more.

Gravidy, Antrax Artek and Jason_M like this.
  15. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

Confusion can be countered with smelling salts. Focus drain has no counter.

I think that the rub here might be more fundamental than just this particular mechanic in this specific application: any mechanic can be fun if there is a way to counter it or to cleverly defeat it.

But a mechanic that cannot be countered, avoided, or defeated isn't fun.

Perhaps the zombie effect could be curable (like the Obsidian curses).

EDIT:
    Exactly :):cool::cool:

With that said, I believe the overpowered, uncounterable nature of these zombies is to prevent people from solo-farming these areas. This is probably true except for very high level sorcerers and tamers.

I think it's good that there exists a dungeon (despair) that requires a genuinely crack team of adventurers to even survive. I think that's great. However, in my expeditions there, it seemed like you were pretty much boned in the first area unless you had a zombie-sponge pet or a turbo-charged fire mage.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Antrax Artek, Dhanas and Botocks like this.
  16. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

I think you are right with this. But it is a fact that it is simply not fun as a tank. My group (mostly the same people) consists of 4 higher level players (100+) and 4 a little lower players (90+). We survive Despair because we play together and adapt to the zombies.

But when we go to Despair and hit the first mobs that's the point from where i exist mostly without focus. There are very few places where you can stop and regenerate Although nearly useless to regenerate because 10 meters deeper into the dungeon comes the next wave of neverending Zombies.

Repeating myself in saying: a counterable debuff would be fine :)

Btw. the Super High Level Players like Mac solo Despair nevertheless

Antrax Artek likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Focus potions, harp of invigoration....

Sentinel2 and King Robert like this.
  18. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

Pointless to use a Focus Potion. It is drained again immediately. Harp of Invigoration helps to fire off a Taunt every 10 seconds or so. Of course only if i press my Taunt Button rapidly to catch the millisecond when i have enough Focus for it.

Antrax Artek likes this.
  19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Using Shield of Air, imbued focus potions save my butt when I get in over my head.

20. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Isnt focus is based on the hit u get?.. having high dr and being tank you shouldnt be drained that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.