Drain focus mechanic in SotA must be deleted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would think that, as a tank, having skills and armor that lower damage would be top priority.

2. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

@Barugon @devilcult Have you been tanking in Despair? If not, please go there and try it. Tell me if i am totally wrong. I am open for suggestions to improve my gameplay.

Edit: I have DR a little bit under 120/max 89%. Dont know if that is high or low.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That mechanism was added to some of the zombies to increase the difficulty of Despair. Seems to be working as intended.

4. Botocks

Botocks Avatar

I am aware of that.

It's annoying and not fun nevertheless. And because we drift off of the original statement of the thread, i'll finish writing here. Thanks for the discussion!

5. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

i was asking a question, hence the ?
    if its not working like that then it should, if you get 1 damage, instead of draining 30 focus, that should drain 1

Girlsname likes this.
  6. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Sounds like the*air mage meta!

xD

Damn if that’s the case those.....

Heavy armor gonna be oP with a shield+pole

7. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I am fighting alot of time against those undead - and it's awful to get out of "focus fuel" so fast :(
    Someone remember Bard's Tale 1? In Mangar's tower Vampires could drain a whole level! THAT was annoying ...

What about something like this, @Chris:

- let's regenerate focus faster in general
    - let's have a minimum focus which can't be drained (how should I hold any weapon with no focus and focus on enemies? ;))
    - let's have a skill in life tree against "undead focus attacks"
    - let's have a skill in focus tree against "focus attacks" in general --> another one besides Follow Through and Tranquility
    - Death resistance could prevent life draining, too ...

It's taking so much fun. For sure we want difficult and challenging game parts/enemies.
    But even we have so many high skills, we have no chance to prevent such things ...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Antrax Artek and Botocks like this.
  8. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

The focus drain isn't a mechanic, its a complete barrier to even attempting melee in those scenes.
    Its also a kick in the face to the "classless" system. You can build your character any way you want! (but if you are not a fire mage or an archer don't go here...)

9. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, I have to agree with many sentiments above, that this "mechanic" doesn't so much make things more difficult as it makes them irritating.

10. Jason_M

Jason_M Avatar

I'm a big fan of focus potions, but they only buy a few seconds in the horde - or a couple of you plan to actually use some focus for fighting the zombies.

I've heard that and it might be true. I've never tried wading into them naked. Regardless, a dozen DOTs, even if they are single digits, will wear 800 focus down in a hurry. That's been my experience at least.

Unlike the OP, I'm not asking to sack the whole thing, baby and all, but to give some manner of countering the focus drain. If their purpose is to keep high-faluting sorcers from farming the place, then a slightly more complex mechanism that allows other people to play ball might be appropriate.

Botocks likes this.
  11. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

Yeah!

Make Cure Plague Potions good again!

•ducks•

Paladin Michael likes this.
  12. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Or you could make the zombies spit venom so that the archers and mages can enjoy the focus regen from range.

Gravidy, Dhanas and Antrax Artek like this.
  13. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

That's exactly one of the main problem of the game atm, all new (and old) rewarding zones are setted up for the benefit of a specific build, kiters dot based.

Even if they drain 1 point of focus per hit, when you get 50 hits per second you're still losing 50 focus per second. This clears your focus regeneration and makes it unnecessary to use focus potions regardless of your DR or damage received, as long as you are not a fire wizard that runs around :p

Yes i would love to see it. If this were to happen I am sure that some pedantic posts in this thread would not exist. Many fail to see beyond their own benefit.

PS: Rumors say that even in new Ulfheim there will be our very nice turbo-zombies friends.

golruul, Dhanas and Botocks like this.
  14. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

/Agreed
    The focus drain is not fun at all.

Botocks, Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My issue with the focus -draining thing is it makes only one style of gameplay - the "kiting style" - acceptable. There's no counter to it. If your focus is gone, not only is your ability to fight back compromised but heals, defensive buffs, etc. all done. If the idea is to make this 'group content' - and your healers /other dps stay back - how long is someone going to be able to keep aggro with no focus? We don't have the sort of group-tactics skills that would make this mechanic viable - we have no way to prevent the focus drain or interrupt it, no way to increase our own regen to counter it, and 'tanking' the amount of damage that these turbo zombie hordes dish out is not really viable even if you could manage to hold the aggro. Most damage mitigation in sota is about getting yourself out of the way of things rather than gearing up to take the hits. The focus drain on top of that is simply not necessary.

16. DavidDC

I see you all talk about how you cant solo this, but the place was meant to be for group right? If the tank could actually tank and get everyone attention, who care if he cant heal or attack? Hes group will do it for him.
    Make tank good and able to taunt (Focusless skill)

17. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

That's wrong, i see everyone talking about how is boring, frustrating and nosense doing it in party and how is easy for a dot based kiter class even in solo.

18. DavidDC

I dont think a dot kiter class can solo this anyway. Zombie run too fast.
    Maybe an auto attack archer could but even there he will get overwhelm by the amount of mob there is.

Solution: Get tank good / be a group / take less mobs at a time.

I wouldnt mind reducing the focus hit a bit if the three solution above doesnt work. But removing it completly is a waste of time more than anything for the dev that actually made this and all. Lets just use it more wisely.
    I'm pretty sure they can reduce the focus drain by something a bit less significant for people.

Btw arent you the guy that suggest that bludgeon would have drain focus? ;p
    That was Antrax idea everyone!!! lol ;p

19. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Fire mages do tartarus zombies room all the day in solo and attenuate in 10 or less minutes.
    Get good tank, good group and everyone will be out of mana in a matter of seconds.
    Reducing the focus hit doesn't fix anything since even -1 focus multiplied for 50 zombies is still -50 focus per second.
    I'm not the one who suggested drain focus on bludgeon, that's atos and it was not added to bludgeon, all i suggested is the slow speed on ground pound which in the way it was implemented is totally useless.

Sounds like you're clearly defending something you can do in solo kiting as fire mage completely ignoring the needs of the entire community.

I'm not surprised that all people who support the drain focus thing are fire mages.
    Try again man ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Chatele and Botocks like this.
  20. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

The only tank you can get in that zombie room is essentially a fire mage. Anything with melee can't use taunt (no focus) so the only real way to "tank" are by using ring of fire and meteor due to the number of hits they cause grabbing agro. And if you are doing those to "tank" you are basically soloing it at that point.

Botocks, Dhanas and Antrax Artek like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.