Drain focus mechanic in SotA must be deleted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Antrax Artek, Sep 20, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I mentionned many time in discord that taunt should be improved on tank and have an aoe taunt which would cost no focus. Thats why im saying to improve tank and taunt. Im not trying to defend anything i dont do tartarus nor i do despair. Im still in UT all day.

Thats why i said "Get tank good (which would imply developers to add a better taunt)" OR "Be a group" OR take less mobs at a time so they dont all come at u and drain focus instantly (pause can be taken between fights, i do it often even as a fire mage)

2. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

As a Pure mage I understand where your thoughts are, however I will tell you that at my lower adv levels 1-100 Focus was always a concern. But now days around 117 I never run out of focus almost ever with the exception of that zombie room. However using a dash/sprint or fleet with weapons put away and food you can recharge well running in a circle then continue.

As to Ranged and Melee the reason they run out of focus is that they are not investing in int, and they are always pounding out the skills rather than utilizing auto attack further. When I tested archery with my speed build I never ran out of focus ever using auto along with attacks rather then spamming. Same went for my Dagger build. if I did run out I simple auto attacked until it regen. Dragon food and other combat focus regens work wonders. Gear also becomes important.

Its all about the choices you make, you may have to sacrifice some dmg to boost your regen and of pool. Can't have it all...

3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Have you tried Passive Stance as a tank?

Barugon and Xee like this.
  4. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

this is exactly what I am talking about its all about the choices of skills you have on your bar. I know some hate to give up skills for stances and or other supporting skills but that is by design to balance things out or people would be way over powered. Like all things though the higher your levels this eventually changes once you get a larger pool at the higher adv levels then you can drop some as they are not needed. if that makes sense :)

5. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

You are correct, Tamers have had their 15 minutes. Time for a repass on the taming skill. lets make it suck again! Like they did with Archery. Death to all Taming!

l
    o
    l

Chatele likes this.
  6. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

@Xee i think @Chrystoph Reis was joking.

[​IMG]

Anyway, again it's not about focus regen, tactics or skills used. It's all about if you can damage them while kiting you're ok and you can even solo it, otherwise you lose your focus, doesn't matter what's your focus regen, if you use focus potions, if you use passive stance, aetheric feedback if you've 2-3 or 4k focus pool.
    Every hit make you lose focus, and you get few dozens of hits per second, there is no way to recover it until you continue to get hit.

BTW i launch a challenge, who can provide a video record doing zombies room of tartarus or despair without kiting them will get 100k igg prize in game.

@Chrystoph Reis it could be very hilarious seeing someone tanking zombies with -50% move rate and -100 dr :D

Barugon and Botocks like this.
  7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

About what nerf are you talking about man?
    That was yesterday on QA server.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's all about gear.

9. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

That's true but is not about expansive or cheap gear but what gear you use, people are sticked to spider silk belt, temna hood and light armor trying to get high damage, while since bows arties were release on purpose with str bonus people should point on baccanal belt, nefario hood and heavy armor to get huge damage.

The str bonus is very important, for example polearm works pretty well in light armor, while sword works better in heavy.

Same thing about specs, if they keep trying to get high damage with air spec they will continue to fail, archery spec should be the main choice.

PS: I had pretty old and crap gear during tests, atm people can reach 400-500 str with new stuff.

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

How exactly is it a "choice" to use a stance that makes absolutely no difference to the focus drain?

Botocks likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because it increases your focus regeneration.

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Having my focus regen at 60 a second instead of 50 a second doesn't help when you are losing 500 a second from being hit in melee.

Botocks likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I didn't say that it would work especially well, only why it was suggested.

14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

And that seems to be the problem. People in the thread suggesting how to get around the mechanic when they have not been there and seen it. It would be like me suggesting you use mining survey in PVP

Botocks likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

To be fair, it could be thought of as one piece in a larger strategy. I don't think there are any one-skill solutions to anything in this game.

16. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

And that is the whole point of the thread. There is no skill, tactic, strategy or secret knowledge to avoid the focus drain. If you are in Melee with them you have 0 focus which essentially to me says "don't bother with this zone for any reason"

Floors, Gravidy, Botocks and 2 others like this.
  17. Kyosa

Kyosa Avatar

Yeah i agree its unbalanced at the moment

18. Rhunen

Rhunen Avatar

If the devs didn't want to remove FP drains completely, an easy fix could be to tone them down in general and make them a small percentage of the current FP pool (Not total). This way players with with low FP totals wouldnt get drained super fast compared to players with 2k+ pools. Would also keep players from getting drained to nothing while still keeping pressure on them.

Alternatively the could make a mechanic like the stun resist for FP drains, the more you get drained the more resistant you are to future drains for a period of time.

(And yes, I have been drained to zero quickly in Despair :p It does suck indeed, no pun intended)

Dhanas likes this.
  19. Rhunen

Rhunen Avatar

On the Despair zombies, I seem to remember Atos saying in a stream awhile back that they were thinking of maybe making the FP zombies an uncommon mob and the rest be more normal zombies (Normal in the sense of no FP drains, still stupid fast I am sure).

Dhanas likes this.
  20. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

IMO -

Make zombies FP drain a, “plague” and that’ll make, Cure Plague potions resourceful...

It’s literwlly 2 birds 1 stone.

1. Making an unused item, useful.

2. Melee can, well, melee.

(Also cures plague potions have a plague immunity timer from being plagued for X/T)

Spoon, Floors, Chrystoph Reis and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.