1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Some New Crossbows!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Hey folks!

Just a quick update to show you some new crossbows I've been recently working on. One is already in the game (the Ornate Norgard Crossbow) and another I just recently completed, which is being added even as I type (the Ornate Shogun Crossbow)... There is a third I'm in the midst of as well (the Ornate Kobold Crossbow), which I'm hoping will show off visual elements of their culture once I have a chance to refine the aspects and details I'm drawing from the Kobold Culture's "visual lore" represented in our game already...

So first up is the Ornate Norgard Crossbow, already in the game and hopefully being enjoyed by you fine folks! Having already created many of the "Norgard-themed" decorative artifacts in the game (everything from the drinking horn to the carved fire-pit hearth, to the Viking-style throne used for the Lord Marshal stuff, and of course the Norgard Bow itself), I had a great deal of reference material and textures I wanted to re-use so as to keep consistency with the visual theme... When I think of things like this, I always want them to feel like they have the kind of details I always loved when looking at the treasures of the Sutton Hoo dig. Though there's a LOT of detail in this image, hopefully you enjoy the richness of it.

[​IMG]

The next crossbow I finished just today; the Ornate Shogun Bow. Though that's the name it's going by, my desire for this piece was to evoke a blend of a variety of elements from my own youth when my family was in Bangkok, South Korea, and Okinawa. That's what I like to think of as the visual "template" for many of the decorations, artifacts, and architecture of New Britannia's Perennial Coast region, and Ardoris in particular. Luckily I was also able to draw many of the texture maps from items already created (specifically the Shogun Bow, but also some of the general patterns and ornamentation found throughout that region of our game), and then bring those together to help create the specific stock of the crossbow itself. Of course, Fletcher's grinning "oni/demon" head had to feature prominently at the front, and the rest of the bow, though quite fanciful, drew its inspiration from a mix of Japanese and Korean design choices, which I attempted to carry out into the rest of the crossbow's look-and-feel. The almost "rifle-like" shape of the stock was inspired by a crude crossbow from Thailand I had as a child, and on that particular weapon I had, where the "oni" face is now, was a stylized Thai Dragon head. I wish I still had that crossbow... :(. Though it's not dripping with as much ornamentation as its Norgard cousin, I tried to make up for it with lavish colors and evocative design.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned here, and I'll also upload the eventual image of the finished Ornate Kobold Crossbow. Until then, have a happy Autumn season!

Enjoy!

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Nice visual! I like it :)

Scottie likes this.
  3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

These are lovely! As a crossbow user, I'm particularly happyy to see them... and will look forward to the Kobold version!

Scottie likes this.
  4. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Now if the Shogun one can also fire three bolts at a time like one other crossbow that is already in the game that I borrowed from another Fitzowen and use a lot , @Scottie ...

Scottie likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unfortunately, the Fitzowen crossbow is a one-time thing... AND they nerfed the poison damage big time.

6. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

These look fantastic Scottie!

Scottie likes this.
  7. Scottie

Thanks so much!

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Scottie

Thank you kindly!

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Scottie

Excellent! I really appreciate that!

Cordelayne likes this.
  10. Doctorface

Doctorface Avatar

Now make one that's also a bear! or a potato! Love them!

Scottie likes this.
  11. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Nice work on the Crossbows and everything else you do!

@Devs, please have @Scottie make new 2-Handed Bludgeon weapons. They would be great and much needed!

Vodalian, Cordelayne and Scottie like this.
  12. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Fantastic work! Very well done. :)

Scottie and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Yes, these are very nice! I never tire of @Scottie 's great work! :D

Scottie and Astirian like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It does make me wish my mad 3D skillz0rz were in the art side of things instead of manufacturing.

Scottie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.