OMFG! (heritage items)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I bought the magic fishing statue 2-pack before I realized that I couldn't give them to my other avatar Rodan, the governor of my town. Aaaaa! Totally angry now.

2. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

LOL, let me get this straight . . . . so now people are expected to buy items from the coto store that are character bound and can't be traded or sold for any value to someone else? Genius! That is the intended fix for the OP reseller market I think I heard them say.

As a side note, 3k crowns for TWO statues, you have to admit, that was a bargain either way.

Spinok, Barugon and Sulaene Moon like this.
  3. Venusada

Venusada Avatar

Does your character have access to the town abilities? That character should be able to place the statue as long as you have decor ability.

Jaesun, Sean Silverfoot and Alley Oop like this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

As said above, you can place them in the PoT as a Stewart. Do it all the time.

Bowen Bloodgood and Jaesun like this.
  5. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Also, once it is placed, the town owner can move it around however he wants.

Cypher Black

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, I made Barugon a steward, placed the statue then removed him from the access list (I have it this way so that I don't accidentally move stuff). I'm still really pissed though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Mishikal, Vladamir Begemot and Spoon like this.
  7. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

I've had people buy such items to donate to my towns to only find they've wasted their money for items they can't really use on their own.

There are a number of heritage items I'd like to use a contest or guild activity rewards. Not an option. As more and more non-traceable items are created, I just can't support the idea any more.

They said on stream heritage items are a way to -rerelease items without competing with the aftermarket trades and to reduce the items that can be traded when a player exits the game. However, they are killing player gifting/contest and in-game gold market for these item as well. Trade-able does not always equal RMT.

I understand the need to re-release existing content. Even is it was "exclusive" content in the past. Excluding items with stat modifiers (e.g. prosperity tools) , I think the "Vault" items was a reasonable way of doing this. Personally, I would like to see date stamped named items with the date updated or removed.

For me, account bound deco items have significantly less value. If I get tired of it, or it no longer fit with a new theme I'm going for, I have no choice but to store it or destroy it. I can't sell it on my vendor. I can't gift it to someone. I can't donate it. I can't include it contest giveaway. Just store or delete.

I go out of my way to avoid the heritage items even if it means going without something I would otherwise buy.

8. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Cant deco because only one in a town, so even in your own home access denied!

Dungeon water change possibly?

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

How many things are heritage? I was under the impression it was only expired items that were unavailable otherwise. That is, these were things that only reappeared in the store as heritage items, and would never have been back otherwise. Is that not the case?

10. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Not sure what the real issue is, so you can't trade it or resell it, but you can still place it with the right permissions. No one is really losing anything, you still have the item you paid for. If you want to donate something to someone just give them the cotos to buy it. Either way I do see the benefit to Portalarium and it's working out for them so kudos to them.

Edit: it's obvious that they are slowly getting around having resellers in the game which they have come to realize have hurt Portalarium profiting over time. Everyone should just imagine that most of all the items they buy now can't be traded.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Xee likes this.
  11. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

And that could very possibly be the final deathknoll for this game. More than have of the barely 600-700 players of this game are only still playing because they are 'invested' and hope to one day break even. It certainly isn't because this game is overloaded with fun and excitement.

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I don't buy heritage items myself. Too much trouble.

13. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

While that might have been true in the past but if anyone is buying things in the game these days hoping to have an investment is just blind. Luckily those who bought stuff in the past can still try their luck, it’s only affecting items bought recently.

14. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

If you have alt accounts that serve different purposes (like Barugon keeping his governor account and his regular account separate, or my characters that are based in different regions), it's immensely frustrating not to be able to trade items between them. Yes, you can still place things, but it flies in the face of the whole organizational purpose of having one account to manage town stuff and one for personal stuff. It makes things needlessly difficult, to have stuff that belongs to one project scattered across multiple accounts instead of consolidated in the account that administers that project.

How is it working out for them? Ever since the first Heritage item was released, we've been hearing reports of people buying them then getting upset when they realized it wasn't tradable. Ever since the first new (not re-released) item was released as Heritage, people have been complaining and saying they're not buying things they otherwise might have. They haven't released stats on Crown shop sales, but that doesn't sound like working out to me.

I'm pretty sure @that_shawn_guy is right. They might, MAYBE make more money in the short term this way, though I won't believe it until I see the stats. But if so, it'll be at the cost of the in-game-gold aftermarket, which is one of the things that makes this game appealing for free players. And it's not like that market was huge anyway -- I get way more Crown shop items from contests than I see on vendors. And guess what? Those Crown shop items given away as prizes were still purchased by someone. Last month I spent almost 2000 crowns on prizes to give away, and I'm not even one of the high rollers. If those items had been Heritage, that's three people who wouldn't have gotten prizes and 2000 crowns from me that Port would never have received.

Rentier likes this.
  15. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Nope. That's how they described Vault items; expired items brought back to life at a premium price. Heritage items were originally described somewhat similarly, but at a lower price because they were nontradable. I think many of us assumed based on the "Heritage" title that these would also be re-released items, but no, that's not what they're doing. Some of them are re-releases, yes, like the prosperity tools. But many are brand-new decorations.

The poor Crown shop labeling, so that people are buying without realizing they're not tradable, is really a separate problem. That aside, I think things like the specimen vats are a perfect candidate for Heritage items. They're distinctive pieces that serve an anchor function in whatever space they're in. People are unlikely to buy them unless they either have money to blow and just want to support the game OR they really really want a specimen vat.

But things like the Obsidian dias and plinth.... those are foundational items. You're not going to buy them for their own sake, you're going to buy them because you're aiming for a particular type of space that creates a particular ambiance. And you're not going to know whether those items create the ambience you want until you can get in there, place them, move them around, test things out. If you do that and they don't work as well as you'd hoped, if they're normal items, you just store them until you have another potential use, no great loss, or you trade them away. But if they don't work and they're Heritage items, you're gonna get hit with immediate buyer's remorse, which is going to make you less likely to buy Crown shop items in the future. Making foundational tools for decoration into Heritage items runs completely counter to their expressed desire to allow us more customization.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Another problem that really didn't need solving IMO, like a lot of the changes being made. And the solutions worse than the problems.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I haven't bought any heritage items except for this, which was a mistake.

Mishikal and Spoon like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The real solution to competing with overloaded players is not to kneecap the players, it is to increase the total market. IE, find out what will increase new player retention, percentage point by percentage point, and do it.

edit:Why NEW players? Those are people who have nothing and to them the entire store is open for business. Plus we need more population, obviously.

Heritage should be labeled No Trade, as the title. Not Heritage. That's just misleading and wrong.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  19. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I've purchased quite a few heritage items and I don't have any issues with their non-tradeable nature. I can't think of a single other game that had premium currency items that could be traded between players.

Alleine Dragonfyre and CarlNZ like this.
  20. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

Its not that simple, as overloaded players are competition with the store for sales. Pricing items in the store beneath those overloaded player's sale price gives new players an incentive to purchase from the store rather than from other players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.