OMFG! (heritage items)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Well there you go. It's working out for them. In the six years this game has been in persistence and this is the first time they are starting to make money off of it you should be happy rather then blasting them because people are losing their "investment". Other people's investment might be the reason this game has failed to bring in the big crowds, have people thought about that? No they only thing about their investment and not what's good for the company but as long as they get their free deco and cotos they can sell for more they are happy. In the mean time the company loses their office, staff, and ability to turn this game into something meaningful.

Sorry, was a little tipsy when writing this and died a easy death in game. LOL

2. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

awesome, now you learned and can move on. So what was the reason for this post? That you are angry because you bought something??????

3. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

No, slow development, questionable game design, grind fest with little fun is why this game has failed to bring in the big crowds.

Other people's 'investment' is what made the actual development of the game possible, the end result of the professional designers and decision makers is what is reflected by the current population levels.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, just to be real about this: ever since they started retooling the game after launch and started fundamentally changing some basic design choices, player numbers have been continuing to go down, and and as long as they still had monthly fundraising stats on the front page, they were going down as well. I keep hoping they'll realize the things they're doing to save the game are actually backfiring and having the opposite effect that they intended.

Spoon and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  5. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Not arguing with you here, but people PAST KS investment aren't doing ANYTHING NOW. It's the current people coming in that is giving this game life.

Everyone is so quick to dismiss gloom and doom and now those same people are spouting it. Just keep buying and let those at them helm keep developing. Everyone loves the monthly releases then come back to bash the small stuff. Don't sweet the small stuff and just keep playing and everything will work out. Someone quoted that they lost 9% over 30 days, that's not really a lot of people over 30 days. LOL

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

More likely it is actual gameplay oriented things. Character movement, quest system, lack of finished sound design, a clunky UI, the things mentioned in just about every review.

But back to Heritage items, here are some of the new benefits.
    • No more pesky "return policy"! That being the ability to give/sell it to someone who needs it if you have buyers remorse. If you regret the purchase, keep regretting!
    • No more gifting of items to your friends!
    • Staring at it forever clogging your already clogged inventory.
    • Or deleting it, forever solidifying it in your mind as a bad purchase and psychologically making you less likely to purchase other thngs in the future.
    Bad feels are the bane of sales, and Heritage has bad feels written all over it.

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  7. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

Not trying to argue with you either, :p , just discussing.

Actually, lots of people past kickstarter are indeed the ones who have continued to fund the majority of the game's development. I guarantee you that current new people coming in are not the majority in purchases.

The real problem is not the funding, never has been. Their initial funding need estimations were way below the amounts that they ended up taking in the 3 years before persistence.

If you look at the numbers, even being conservative, they had over 50,000 people back this game at one level or another. Many of them backed at moderate levels, and a surprising level backed in the multiples of thousands of dollars, and an even more surprising number of them backed in the tens of thousands.

Where did all those people and that willingness to throw money at the game's development go?

It's a long story, and even people like myself that have been here since the beginning don't have the whole story, but the biggest common denominator is that the game simply never has been fun and exciting to play. It's a huge grindfest, filled with penalties, because if you remember, the whole design concept from Richard is that choices have consequences, and lots of questionable design choices that many players simply don't find fun to participate in. Why spend 20 minutes with 4 people to kill a boss for literally nothing worthwile, 80% of the time? and many many many other examples.

It's not the funding, it's the game. Funding was here, game's design and developer choices drove away the customers.

Will they recover? Will it be successful in the end? who knows, but one thing for sure, beyond far exceeding their initial funding expectations, it's been pretty down hill ever since. As a matter of fact, if you look at the number trends over time as many of us have and do, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hill left to descend.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Senash Kasigal and Sulaene Moon like this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Forget the last month. For what those stats are worth, its a loss of 70% of the playerbase in a little over a year.

Its not doom & gloom, just reality. We shouldn't either engage in doom & gloom or wishful thinking, which is the opposite -- just look at things as they stand. Part of the situation is I'm also not interested in playing anymore, and a lot of good people I know have left for the same reasons I'm not interested in playing. I'm not fretting and worrying about how the game is going to die, I'm just being honest about what I'm seeing. I don't know what long term plans the devs have, and for all I know they have things up their sleeve, but the decisions they've made have had consequences -- and that's just reality.

I honestly don't think if the game in its current state were pitched at Kickstarter that it would have finished the Kickstarter campaign.

Grumpy Krabnevir likes this.
  9. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Please provide the source of this information?

Thank you

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

11. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Jaesun and Sulaene Moon like this.
  12. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Considering it has been six long years since the Kickstarter, if it's taken you this long to realize that the game isn't what was pitched then you've really been wasting your time. The OP was about a mistake they made when they purchased something that wasn't what they thought. No one is to blame but the buyer. No one forced people to buy or play, either you like it or you don't. People who do will stay and those that don't will go. Fact of all games.

13. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Yes, but we have Chris from a long time ago saying steam is about 1/3 the playerbase and Chris from quite recently saying steam is 1/3 the playerbase. So if the ratio has stayed the same, the decline will be parallel for launcher players as well.

Gregg247 and Hornpipe like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

@that_shawn_guy

Well, you're welcome. :)

It doesn't represent all players, but its as good as a cross-section as any, and no reason to doubt it for trend purposes. The numbers go up at expected times -- so for example, when Chris was doing the Mount Midir contest where there was a big prize, the numbers went up, and then they went down again the following day.

Also follows other observations that leave me no reason to doubt it.

15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

All of a sudden everyone NOW uses steam?

I've searched the forums looking for quest help and I've seen the same people now quoting Steam who have dismissed it in the past, the same people who loved the work Portalarium had been doing, all of a sudden people aren't happy because you can't trade/sell the items YOU buy that no one is forcing you to buy.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  16. redfish

redfish Avatar

So is your suggestion to me that I start a separate thread?

And, yes, you sound like you're agreeing with me. I'm saying more and more people have quit because decisions they've made specifically in the last year (not in the last six years) are having the opposite effect they intended.

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  18. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

You can do what you want but after six years and 11k posts it's entirely up to you, but know that people are enjoying the game not matter what Steam or Kickstarters show.

19. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

There's also this: https://shroudoftheavatar.net/how-many-people-play-shroud-of-the-avatar

i'm not saying it represents 70%, but it does show trends from actual api data, keep in mind, many of the 'anonymous' players are alts of people who have multiple accounts like myself.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, and the 'new' players are often alts of people who create someone to kill for their skulls and bones, or to create a new coat of arms, etc ;>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.