If this game had no overworld..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidDC, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

They could be a rare spawn in some location

Chatele and OzzyOsbourne like this.
  2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Either that or when you load a new scene you could get a random encounters... just like when you go to a village scene there could be a siege instead waiting for you

eli, Antrax Artek and OzzyOsbourne like this.
  3. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

That only works if you say "what if they didn't use Unity?" because that was a direct consequence of using Unity of six or so years ago. There was going to be no way unless they created their own engine, which was completely out of the question. Unity tech of ~2013 was also the reason the oldest scenes are so small, because it couldn't really handle anything much bigger back then.

The overworld map also lets them be fuzzy about where things begin and end, instead of "we can't put anything more here, it's already full!" The scene-based architecture also lets them have players be able to share the same area, yet can start a new one when there are too many people for good performance. And it also allows for private modes. (Yes, I know they've currently disabled that, but it's due to the world being too big for the population, and I'm sure it'll be back IF we get about 10x the player population.)

With modern 2019 bleeding-edge engine tech, they could do that with a seamless world by using "layers", but there's no way they're going to rebuild the game from scratch to chase game engine tech. They're already having enough trouble keeping up with Unity changes as it is.

Basically, there's more aspects than you realize that result from the overworld/scenes architecture that all work together quite well. But I'm still looking forward to what they can do with Episode 2 with the newer tech.

Echondas likes this.
  4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ummm.. RUST has no load screens from scene to scene. And uses Unity just fine. Plus the maps in RUST are ginormous!

5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

After reading all or this. This.proposal would do more to un-ultima sota. I like the hark back to the early ultima games with the overland map. UO is nice but, no thanks.

6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I would prefer both options. So that each zone is linked to each other in some way so that you could essentially do what DC is asking for in the OP. But also leave the map intact, so players who want to travel that way can as well.

Maybe as you get close to leaving a scene for another scene the loading could happen in the background so it's more seamless?

7. DavidDC

Both options would be impossible or wouldnt work like i mentionned tought. The main reason for no more overworld is really for the regional economy + the time it take to travel to a place from another (which would then reduce the amount of people that constantly farm the same place over, teleport to town to empty himself, then get back into the zones) Also it would require more time for people to farm golds/ressources etc because you cannot use a teleport scroll to go town then get back instantly, you gotta walk. which could lead to dev giving more ressources from node since you have to walk all the way in and out.

Then like i said we could add runebook, mounts would have a meaning.. etc..

Adam Crow, Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  8. DavidDC

Guess we can forget this idea anyway, atos just showed a dungeon teleport that goes directly into the dungeon from the pot... so yeah idea ruined just this morning ;p

Jaesun, Antrax Artek and Dhanas like this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

A dungeon teleport that goes directly into the dungeon from the pot... COOL!!

Thanks for the info!

10. Gix

Gix Avatar

Correction: Unity couldn't handle large scenes with the TERRAIN tool. The terrain tool is not the only way to make terrain in Unity.

All you have to do is implement a floating origin (to fix floating point precision issues) and stream terrain data like any developers would in any other engine. That's how endless runners work; nearly every single notable one is made in Unity.

It's not bleeding-edge. All the server is doing is telling your client to hide other players from view and collision, while giving your own copy of mobs and resources.

The concept of instancing has been around since 2005; phasing was introduced in 2008.

The closest thing to "bleeding-edge" there might be is World of Warcraft's cross-realms functionality and all that really is is X-amount of servers are grouped together and they transfer player-connections to the server in the group that already has a population in a given area; any overflow would transfer the players to the next server in the group.

The same way that SotA can send players in a new instance of an area if the first one is full.

It's too late to change, yes, but these things were design decisions.
    STOP. BLAMING. UNITY.

11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Problem is the devs used unity as an excuse a bunch and people took it as all of sota's issues are unity's fault.

Rada Torment and Dhanas like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I dunno peeps. Overworld kinda grew on me in all those years.

13. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

simple... you still need roads to traverse on lol, encounters can be spread out along some roads, and hills, etc

14. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Add them to the outskirts of POTS

:D

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Why not 'both' zippered scenes and the overworld map.

I tend to agree with the opening post about zippering scenes together, for all of the reasons cited.

That said, overworld does provide an 'Ultima' like feel, and the underworld actually is already zippered together, so scene to scene travel often is possible, just underground.

If the overworld map stays, I think it needs some work. I generally like its looks, but that's about all I find it useful for. Teleport scrolls killed its need for travel, mounts, etc.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Not totally. You can't use Scrolls when encumbered and a mount could carry some things. Also we were told they would make some bigger scenes in episode 2 and I want to have horse racing

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Chatele and Sentinel2 like this.
  17. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Borrowing from FF - imagine being able to breed horses (or similar - maybe wyverns or ?) and affect their stats - then race those to increase their stats by winning and leveling up - then more breeding - etc - introduce crafting and enchanting into the mix somehow .. fun times :)

Sentinel2 and majoria70 like this.
  18. eli

eli Avatar

I think this would be great, but since many clearly don't I think a compromise would be better:

PvP scenes are linked together like described, but in a semi-linear semi-graph format. The highest rewarding zones are the furthest from the edge nodes (where the overworld is accessible). So to get loot from the best PvP zones to safety, you must go through multiple other PvP zones.

To make it best, pair this change with the good loot being cursed and teleport disabled in and out of PvP zones.

devilcult and Dhanas like this.
  19. DavidDC

Thats the same feeling but id rather do it with everything than just a part of it. But yeah i do like that idea too, its like runescape wilderness. The further you go the higher the mobs and the danger.

eli and Dhanas like this.
  20. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

They can start doing it in pvp zones and if it works they can try do it for everything. Even doing it slowly is ok, starting from 1 region and then extend it to the rest.

eli and devilcult like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.