Taming Missing Uo's pimp factor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It's true taming has improved a lot and its much more fun to play a tamer now. but taming still has a problem. Id like to target the dev who's in charge of taming @Bzus but im not sure who that is so @DarkStarr. In uo especially but other games who do taming are not exempt there is a huge pimp factor to taming it was the case here for a bit with the destroyers being new. it’s the same old problem as we had before as people are leveling high there is no OMG u got that pet. Destroyers are easy to get and virtually no pet perma dies unless the tamer really really screws up. in ultima the coolest pets were hard to get and when they died they actually died forcing a circular economy sota does not have that because pets lasts for ever. id also like to see the rez skill level or lack of have some impact here.

Id make a challenge to a inquiring dev look up how many destroyers are in the game and look up how many spec tamers are in the game. Ill bet there are more top tier pets than the tamers actually using them. We need the pimp factor rare skinned versions like proposed are cool enough but someday everyone will have those as well we need a real solution here.

food for thought. (Post your thoughts on how to make taming cooler if you have them).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Grimbone, Spoon, Girlsname and 2 others like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Ultima online added pet ressing from a ghost. That was better than losing a pet. Sorry charlie, no dice In Support from me.

Girlsname likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Good not required your a off line player anyways you don’t effect the online economy in anyway. Also pimp factor isn’t really a thing when your the only one in the world.

4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

I beat up a pack horse that got lost in town in UO, got questioned by the local po po and said it went wild and attacked me.

We need more of that kind of thing!

Sulaene Moon and Brass Knuckles like this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Really? Boy you need to get out more. I play BOTH online and offline.

Hosted the ONLINE Welcome Quest last month which you never attended. .

And yes, I buy online stuff with igg from adventuring ONLINE.

So your credibility is now nothing.
    LoL

6. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

/Agree with OP

And add a Drop command for pets to drop their loot once tamed like in UO.

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I remember a huge long post (rant) you made about online mode and how ur going to play off line, if you have become a part time online player good for you. Some one might be willing to go threw your rants and look this convo up it’s where I drew my conclusion. Sorry about hard to keep up with people current play status.

Not sure how it’s a credibility hit ur one person and entitled to your opinion, as a off line player u have no skin in the game as a part time online player you might have some.

8. Girlsname

Girlsname Avatar

You could bond pets in UO tho...

(Which when died, they turned into a ghost, and you could Rez them)

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Right that was cool though it took work and time to do that. You could still lose them with bad luck or poor play.

It was also added much later on, but I’d be a fan of that. We still need ways to help rarity though better alternative pets would help right now the bear is king and all the rest are there for cosmetics.

Girlsname likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

LOL @Girlsname said the same thing I said about ghosts and pet ressing and you never went postal on her.

Drumming up support for the Offline mode is NOT leaving Online. Your perception is wrong, distorted, and false.

I've been a fulltime online player since 2013 with some part time offline to help drum up support and needed bug testing.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I had no problem with what you posted, in uo it was called bonding that took time and work and still had some level of risk it why I’d support it. I lost a bonded fire beetle once sucked but made me more careful.

As far as you, I say play the game you choose to play I don’t care what mode you choose to play in. And my perception was made on your own post it’s cool you changed your play style again.

Like I said my first post was from older information, welcome back what’s ur char in game maybe I’ve even seen you playing. I log in occasionally.

12. Duke Gréagóir

No time for your crap. Ignored.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

See I “like” your stuff too!

14. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

People looking for drama will find it in anything, even if none really exists.

I have no disrespect for dg and welcome any thoughts he has as a online player to this pimp your pet topic.

16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I don't think @Duke Gréagóir was trying to start any drama. At least I hope he wasn't!

That's the problem with email and texting sometimes, it's difficult to connote intent without the use of: :) :D ;) :p

Besides, we all know SotA + Forums = [​IMG] ;)

Girlsname and Brass Knuckles like this.
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You'd probably get more support if you didn't derail your own topics by arguing with people about unrelated things like which mode they play. Just a suggestion.

Brass Knuckles likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I guess I just like to talk about sota and stuff related to sota getting side tract is pretty easy for me.. ohhh crap you pulled me into another one :)

As far as support it’s not required just looking for conversation related to the topic. Pro or con anything is appreciated.

I have DG in the disagree Column already ;)

Adam Crow and Cordelayne like this.
  19. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

As a big UO tamer and now in SOTA, I have found that I struggle to maintain a bond with my pets. Because you can just swap them out on the fly pretty much there is not much of a connection. Like a lot of things in SOTA, they just feel cosmetic.

WOW has a system where the pet gains levels and skills and grows with you which creates a connection and if you want a new pet, you need to level it from whatever level the creature is so it's a bit like raising a young pet. Project Gorgon has a similar bond system where the pet gets stronger and gains bonuses the more you play with it.

There is also no interaction with the pets beyond attack, follow etc. I think the pet needs a selection of it's own glyphs that you can use, a taunt, some bleeds or DoT's, a special attack. Just something for you to click so there is some interaction there. At the moment apart from cosmetic value, it also seems pointless to use anything other than a Razorback as the other pets agro seems much lower. Also, sorry, pets need some sort of AOE taunt. Not so that 10 mobs stick to it like glue, but they need something. Hell I'd happily invest in another tree centered around pet attacks.

As an aside I am also struggling to find a tree that synergies well with a Tamer. Fire is all AOE, melee feels like it defeats the object and so the only natural option seems to be bows.

Chatele and Brass Knuckles like this.
  20. Vero

Vero Avatar

I would love to see the evoluting of Pets in SOTA. Like UO had the 'evolution pets' where they would transform into stronger/bigger mobs after 'x' amount of gathered xp.

Like starts with a egg as special loot, get a hatchling, level it up into a strong mofo <whatever pet> :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.