If this game had no overworld..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DavidDC, Sep 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

I preferred EQ zones... but that game was server heavy.

Running across the continent was AWESOME. Especially if you ever did the gnome level 1 run, to join friends on the west coast where leveling was better/easier but your class could only start in certain cities.

While I love the concept, I think it would have to be done with a new game, where people are not so attached to the current system.

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Today we spoke about how exploring and adventuring is fundamentally the base of a mmorpg and i came up with a quote that i got from another game developpement team, which is a german proverb: The journey is the reward. And that actually really fit with this proposal actually.

So i searched google "the journey is the reward" and here is what the first result got me:

Over the last year there is one quote I have found myself using more often with more people: “The journey is the reward.”

1. The journey is unexpected

When you set out to reach a goal you have a sense of what you want the reward to be. Whatever the goal, you become dead set on dedicating your life to the pursuit and have a clear vision for what you want to achieve when you get to the end of your journey. And while you may think this destination is the top prize, the reward is also in how you got there. The payoffs during the journey may seem smaller, but they multiply over time. If you are making progress towards your reward the chances are you are winning and achieving something every day. These moments and results may happen at spontaneous moments in time: You never know what tomorrow holds. If it gives you something to feel great about, don’t underestimate that win. Embrace it and enjoy it, because you never know when the next one will come.

2. The journey is memorable.
    Even if you achieve your goal and obtain your reward, chances are you will remember the moments that got you there more than you will remember the actual reward itself -- especially if you are working with a great set of teammates. The memories you make really are the reward. The journey provides you with the Kodak moments that will endure and stand the test of time.

3. The journey is guaranteed.
    When you start a business or set out to build your career, it pays to focus on a big goal. You need your North Star. You need to think about the end game, so you can create something tangible to make your vision a reality. But no matter how well you plan and execute, nothing is guaranteed. Success and the reward you working towards may never happen.

But the journey itself and what you will get out of it IS guaranteed. Everyday you have a chance to get better, to learn something new, to meet new people, to solve problems in different ways. In a world where nothing is guaranteed, living in and appreciating the present can sometimes be the greatest reward of all.

Toshi2 and Rizarium like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.