Recently started playing and really enjoying the game

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Coswald_Dirthmire, Oct 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Been playing for a couple of weeks now and having a lot of fun. I've already decided to work on a grandmaster for carpentry and have been slowly building my level with hopes of crafting a 4 story greenhouse row home to live in. (If anyone wants some free rose bouquets let me know... I have hundreds!)

If anyone has tips for wood gathering I'd be grateful, or if someone wants anything crafted I'll pay for the carpentry hammers and put in the time if you've got the materials and I'm at a sufficient level and can afford the recipe. (I'm a new player so I can leave you some collateral for the materials or something just to make things risk free)

I really enjoy the player driven nature of this game and so far everyone I've run into has been kind and helpful. Buying items from the players that crafted them or dropping things you made to community chests, and communicating through bulletin boards and player-written books, is great.

2. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings Coswald_Dirthmire
    Welcome to the world. Please add me as a friend and let me know if you have any questions. I will tell you an easy way to raise some of the crafting skills is to salvage items. For instance salvaging the bows, hammers, staffs would all go to raiding your skill and will provide you with some low level items for later. Message me and I will show you what I mean. I have some bows and stuff that need salvaging.

Coswald_Dirthmire and Jaesun like this.
  3. Coswald_Dirthmire

Thanks for the kind welcome. I found out how much of a boost salvaging can be and have been running through the Soltown (and now Solania) catacombs ever since, gathering up bows and wands and what not. I've added you as a friend and I can afford about 50x Carpentry Hammers right now, so bring on the bows!

Adam Crow and Jaesun like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Welcome!

You get the most crafting XP from the first few times you craft an item. So you can build your pool quickly by building a few of a lot of different recipes. For instance, the signs will get you 15,000 XP if you get an exceptional on the first crafting of it. There are a lot of different signs, so that is a huge chunk of XP.

That can cost a lot of money if you buy all the recipes though. So try to get with an experienced crafter who will teach you a bunch of different recipes. Pax et Fortitudo has a crafting class this coming Sunday at 6pm central, and if you come I can teach you a bunch of recipes during the lecture on "How to Price your Goods".

And each of the 3 Outskirts holds somethig like 150 -250,000 crafting XP from completing the quests.

Alright, have fun!

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome to the game @Coswald_Dirthmire. Maybe you don't know yet but other players can share recipes with you that are teachable.

Right now I am away from home and the game but hopefully I'll be returning soon and I would be happy to share all those recipes with you. The way to share recipes is to open up your recipe book with the b key and then open up a trade with someone else. Then you drag the icon of the recipe to the trade window of the person you're trading with and they show in the window. Then when the person accepts those recipes automatically go into that person's recipe book. It usually takes 15 to 20 minutes to do the trade since there are a lot of tradable recipes. When I return I would be happy to share. So no need to buy a lot of recipes when you can just get them from another player.

Also if you don't know the teleport to Zone scroll is our best fast travel. As you discover areas they appear on your teleport to Zone scroll which can be placed on your non-combat bar. If unencumbered you can click on that and see all the areas you have discovered and use the control key to see what is in each area. Also you will be able to discover mines to return to at any time.

Sometimes I just go into encounters and kill off what is there and then get all the resources the encounter area holds. Sometimes I repeat that a few times or more.

I am majoria in the game and I should be returning in a few days and I'd be happy to assist in anyway or answer questions. The town I manage with the governor Baldrith is called Wizards rest. It is located and hidden Vale behind the NPC town called Owls Head. If you get a chance to visit check out the bulletin board and you will find tips on game things. Such as instructions on how to collect your 500 a day gold and experience from the oracle. Even how to send mail and if you explore the School of Rock there are tips for syncing songs and a room full of instruments that we have in the game.

Don't forget to check out the Rooftop which is where I like to play songs in a group which is called syncing. We have a very nice music system in this game and it's a fun Pastime to do here and there. My School of Rock is open for anyone to explore. Don't forget to point at signs to read since on the walls on the Walk of Fame area there are fun facts and trivia to read.

Just have an instrument equipped and visit the Listening Room to hear some of the songs that can be played alone or in a group or sit at the piano or other instruments that has music around them and you can click on those to play many songs.

I actually have about a thousand different songs. Many of them in my portfolio of songs require groups of up to eight people to get all the different parts played. So it is fun to hear how the song evolves When you play all the parts.

Have a great time. There is a lot to see in this game. The devs are still adding and creating the world so there will be even more to come.

Also in Wizards rest all Lots are claimable with a lot deed. You receive that free deed from finishing an outskirt area. Best wishes and again have fun.

Edited

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Adam Crow and Coswald_Dirthmire like this.
  6. Coswald_Dirthmire

Thanks to the guidance here and in-game I feel like I'm already in a position to start putting back into the community. I have a row-house in Mediolanum for now, just south of Owl's Head (loc 75.4, 38.0, 324.2) and I've just set a public cache chest out on the lawn with some of the things I've been crafting, plus a few copies of a short book of limericks I wrote. Man, that printing press is really satisfying. I've tried to emulate some of the public exchanges I've seen throughout the game and I think I've got the permissions and everything right but let me know if you try it and I've messed something up.

There's a couple Wooden Storage Chests in there, and some signs as Vladamir Begemot suggested for an XP boost, which was a fantastic tip. No joke about the stacking cost of recipes, though. I'm going to try and make it to that seminar and I'll see about swapping some recipes instead of buying as well (Thank you majoria70!). I've also been scouring the wiki but there's a ton to learn so I'm still a bit daunted by that, but it's at least saved me a few bucks over buying re-teachables.

Also, I had no idea what the Teleport to Zone scroll did! I assumed a "zone" was like the Hidden Vale, Drachvald, Longfall and so on and stupidly I never even checked to confirm it, just assumed you'd get dumped at a central point in the region and have to walk the rest of the way. To add more egg to my face I've been thinking "I really wish there was a better way to get across the map. Like at least let me bind to multiple places or something!" and now I have the solution. The hunt is on for black pearls to craft up as many of these as possible, but you better believe I'll spend the gold on getting some from a merchant if I need to. In the time I'll save over walking the scrolls will pay for themselves in resources gathered.

I have some time to actively play now, rather than set a 20x craft and poke at something else for a bit, so I'm going to go on a resource collection binge and burn up those Zone scrolls then craft some more. I'll probably unwind afterwards by checking out Wizard's Rest and looking into the music aspect of the game. Seen some really cool pieces on offer and some of the new recipes I've been trying (loving that boost from the first few craftings) are instruments, since they use few 'primary' carpentry resources. I need every last piece of wood I get, but I've got plenty of hides laying around to turn into lute strings!

Edit: Everything else on the lot is acting normal, but for some reason the community chest and note are taking a long time to load or something before I can access them. Does anyone else have that problem?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Adam Crow and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oddly, the best place to get black pearl is desert scenes, as they drop from sand elementals. If you're able to do tier 5 scenes, Oracle Colossus is probably the best spot.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Coswald_Dirthmire and Ostvel like this.
  8. Coswald_Dirthmire

Hah, never would have guessed to go to the desert for pearls. I do alright on tier 5s these days, but I am rubbish against ghosts (training Purify right now to unlock Banish Undead. Is that a good path?) so Oracle Colossus isn't really doable right now. Had some luck in Wyrmsands though, and I've been saving all the pearls dropped by mages so I might make it through without buying any outright. If not, meh. It's well worth the price; it's been a lot more fun since I started using the Zone scrolls.

Adam Crow likes this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Banish undead is a great skill for sure. You sound like you're progressing quickly in the game. Feel free to add me to your friends list and I can try and help with recipes and advice. Glad you are enjoying the game!

Hint: on some beaches you will find harvestable oysters that also drop black pearls. And when you harvest them at night you can get multiple pearls at a time. During the day you just get 1 pearl.

10. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Wyrmsands is probably next best. I'd say run past the ghosts in Oracle Colossus, but that stupid puzzle means you have to deal with them. Once you get past the barrier, you can pretty much avoid the ghosts, they're not really in the areas that have elementals. (It's also a good place to farm sulfurous ash, since it's a mix of sand and fire elementals.)

Beaches are not great places to harvest pearl. You can, but usually about half the nodes at any given time are in the "empty" state, and since they suck when the sun is up, half the time you're only going to get one pearl per node on the ones you can actually harvest. If you find one and it's night time, then great; but I wouldn't go specifically searching beaches for pearl. Elementals drop 1-5 every (or nearly every) time, and give decent-ish gold too.

Sadly, pearl is one of the hardest regs to gather. If you get high enough level, there are good places to get ash, scales, and rotting flesh. But pearl is pretty scarce.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.