Catnip Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Rather than fill (pollute) the announcement thread with a discussionm I though maybe it would be better to start a separate thread.

So.... whattaya all think? Can it still be an Ultima successor without RG at the helm?

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What's wrong with discussion about the announcement in the announcement thread? I think that if they didn't want discussion there then they would lock the thread.

3. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

In the 6+ years Was it ever a successor? Considering since I have been here I haven’t seen Richard contribute anything new to the story or experience that would make me say it was a successor and now his company is officially doesn’t own the game I doubt it will continue to be.

Rat2, Xandra7, arcdevil and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The "be" in "still be" is future subjunctive, not present indicative.

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Nothing, but let's just say my impressions are not favorable, and therefore more likely to be "moderated" in the announcement thread.

arcdevil likes this.
  6. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Thank you. English isn’t my first language.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't hate the language, but it's a bit dumb that we use about five different forms of one of the most commonly used words/concepts in language in all the tenses and moods of the word, and rely on inference and maybe an occasional modifier to tell the difference.

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Sorry I’m dumb in English. Will not reply anymore to your posts.

9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Oh, neither of my comments was intended as an insult. The first was an explanation, the second was pointing out how English isn't always the most precise language, even for native speakers. The way you interpreted my post is probably how most native speakers would read it.

Mac2 likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Yes, sota is THE Ultima successor. Richard was involved with the original story and game design of episode 1.

11. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

That word, WAS, is my worry about today's announcement (already asked in the other thread if LB and Starr are employees of the new company- will see if there is a response).

arcdevil likes this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Atos said on the stream LB and darkstarr are still on the payroll and darkstarr will still be yelling at him :). I actually LOVE this news, I think chris will be able to get a lot more done without being delayed or even shut down on some ideas. Now, the others will have to run their ideas by him for confirmation and not the other way around. I am on at many different hours and I get to see atos start working on stuff REALLY early in the morning till late at night. Now that he wont have to wait for confirmations as much, he will be able to get even more done with his time.

Ya I think English sucks actually. To many words to mean the same thing, to many meanings behind the same word and now days the words are starting to have a few meanings and 2 of them are completely opposite. Like the word literally now has the meaning of figuratively.... WTF. Too many people saying I literally **** my pants LOL

13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Actually, I didn't say that they were still on the payroll. I said they will still be involved. I know, semantics, but in this case, it matters to legal people. Richard hasn't taken a dime from the company for years. He has always done this out of love for the game and the community. Just clarifying before that get's misquoted! Also, I'm just moderating the main thread largely due to people spreading misinformation.

Rentier, Cage Storm, Jaesun and 25 others like this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Lots of languages have similar issues. What tends to happen is that languages form without official "rules." Eventually rules become a thing, but by that point the most commonly used words tend to be all over the place, so only later words follow the rules well. Almost every language I've had any experience with has a whole bunch of "irregulars," and they are nearly always words like "do" and "be" and "have."

Anyway. Personally, I'm less than ecstatic about this change. I've not been happy with how the game has been going for the last few months. I think Chris will make a good game, but if the last few months are any indication, it likely won't be one I want to play. I haven't spent nearly as much on Shroud as some have, but easily a few month's salary, and I feel incresingly like it was not a good investment. We'll see how things shake out, I guess.

K1000 likes this.
  15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Two things are that will change from today’s announcement. Communication won’t get any better and RMT will be on the way out. Chris hates both.

*runs from the grammar police*

arcdevil and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

ohhh well that earns some respect I’ve harbored I’ll feelings lately about lb and lack of real participation. Learning he never took a dime and did what he did because of his love for the game / people makes me feel bad.

Sorry lord British my baaaaad.

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

He's not a fan of archers, either. :(

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

S'alright. I even expect saltier discussions to be removed from the announcement; it's not the place for that. It seemed poor form to air grievances in that thread.

19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Half true! I'm not a fan of RMT because it drives players away. I am a fan of communication as well BUT yes, we suck at it. I largely communicate through streams and dialog with players. Agree I need to do better.

I am a fan of archers. I'm not a fan of one playstyle being OP. You are correct though, my changes negatively impacted them far more than I expected in real world situations.

I think one thing that we'll do that will help with this kind of over nerf is exposing more stats and information to the hard core players so they can see what is truly going on. I'm hoping to do that before the end of the year. Also, I'm always open to feedback. What I'm sure of is archers were OP but agree that the pendulum swung too far. The stuff that negatively impacted them the most was the "fix" to creatures and their damage absorption being half what it should be. That wasn't a direct archer nerf but definitely hit them harder than others.

20. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

This I’ll pay for. Get them out and make deco and cotos no trade. It ruins this game. Love ya!!

smack, rebbieforever, Katu and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.