Catnip Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MightyUnclean

MightyUnclean Avatar

As an original paid backer of the game, I thought I might chime in on the official announcement thread. Nope, guess I didn't spent enough $$ to earn that privilege. Either that, or I didn't talk enough on the official forums? It says this at the bottom of the thread:

(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

2. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I don't think most people would do that for a "video game" that is for entertainment purposes and can be gone tomorrow in the blink of an eye.

Now I HAVE done that in the bond market where I WAS guaranteed a dividend and return on my principal, but no I wouldn't take that chance on a video game.

arcdevil likes this.
  3. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

See above post

Pointing out the fact that any/all Investment Advisors would have told you not to use a video game as an investment outlet.

Edit: not trying to argue or win any argument with you guys. I respect most of what you post, just trying to show another side, right, wrong or indifferent.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Titania Xylia and arcdevil like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Well if that's the case for all the anti-RMT crowd, sounds like Chris may have bet on the wrong horse if he's counting on you guys.

@Humbert_Humbert how about you? You can come back now since RMT drove you away. Are you ready to support again?

6. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Just keep your subscription going and we'll all be winners!

Boris Mondragon and arcdevil like this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'd probably better put my money in the bond market. It's you guys turn.

8. A'chelata

A'chelata Avatar

That is something completely different from the forums. The forums has always been a buyer beware/trust thing. I will say however, I made several thousand dollars worth of purchases (have made zero sales, for all you rmt haters out there and in addition to what I've spent directly to port.) and never had a single issue. Most of the people early on in those days were all honest good people who were sincerely trying to be honest participants in the rmt market as they got items they personally didn't need or want or as there were items they wanted multiples of and bought from other players like I did.

The rmt hasn't hurt this game any more than any of the other major issues that have hurt this game. The lack of population has always been the glaring magnifier that has exacerbated every molehill into a mountain.

That has always been my contention, decisions that are inclusive not exclusive, build up, not down, but that's neither here or there at this point.

Good luck to Chris, Good luck to SotA, Peace to the community, let's ride this ever surprising circus train on down the track some more.

9. Synergy Blaize

Synergy Blaize Avatar

Richard has virtually done nothing and had zero interest in Shroud, for all of this year.
    He has been gone a long time already.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

And I just woke up realizing that I was bouncing back and forth between threads and stated that RMT is bad out of context and was cheered. Then, lying in bed I realized that some of you thought I meant all RMT, including us. :O While I would love to get rid of all of it, we have to pay for the team somehow. :( I was of course talking about player RMT.

Sorry, while I do agree with the statement that RMT hurts the game it is sadly a necessary evil. One evil we can address though is how much we have to charge for things. That we've had to do because we made all items tradeable AND permanent. Having items enter the marketplace and NEVER leave means they need stupid high prices. It also means as a free to play game, we open players up to scam opportunities.

Sorry for the confusion and yeah, maybe having two threads on the same topic wasn't a great idea. :/

Floors, Rentier, Jaesun and 10 others like this.
  11. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

I think 99% of people associate RMT with players. The game selling stuff is microtransactions, which everybody expects with a free to play game, so don't sweat it.

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, yes and no.

All items being tradeable gives everything intrinsic value, so yes selling those items means they have to have realistic prices. (I'm not saying what you are currently charging are realistic. You have to realize that most games that rely on microtransactions get the most money from players who only spend $1-5 per purchase.)

All items being permanent... well, really, thats how things work in this game currently. Hell, you can't even get actual gear to wear out eventually, since you can repair it for pennies and make it last forever. So this is where things need to change.

Ideally, everything you buy will be basically two pieces; the base item (equivalent to a craftable) and a visual that can be applied to it (the eternal pattern). The item when you purchase it is low-stat, can't be improved, can't be traded; this is basically your cash store items that you have now. But salvage them, and you get a pattern that can be traded and applied to craftable items that CAN be traded/looted/degraded. Then, pump up item deterioration so those turn over. Also, this means EVERYTHING; there needs to be some way to get durability on decoration items and such as well, even if its just leaving them sit and applying "dust" to their appearance when they degrade; want a nice house, make craftables and apply patterns, rotating them out when they deteriorate.

This means everything in the store has value, but craftables have MORE value when working with the store, instead of against it. There is a steady influx, because patterns make craftables look better. Win-Win. And we do away with things like 1001 variations of mannequins, when they can all just be a pattern applied to the single craftable version to make it look nice.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Bedawyn and Lars vonDrachental like this.
  13. CICI

CICI Avatar

A lot of people try and make money on twitch playing video games =) and selling (RMT) your old in game assets is nothing more then like selling your used games back in the day =)

no trade needs to be 100 cotos per deco lol like an dollar store.... and with the free POT row deed/POT village deed via quest it ez to sell 100$ worth of deco

You can make a ui coto market and make COTO trade for gold via that market only! (no trade COTO's) but only trade via coto market hub

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  14. Ragnarr Lodbrok

Ragnarr Lodbrok Avatar

Thank you for clearing that up for everyone like myself. Being misinformed IS a trend in these forums the more and more I read. Thank you @Chris for all your time spent. I appreciate it. And thank you goes to your family for their time as well, sacrifices on both sides is very honorable. And on second note for the bashers reading, I'm not a ass kisser, yes I read your mind just a about 2 seconds ago. I like to give a family man credit where credit is due.

15. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

[QUOTE="

@Humbert_Humbert how about you? You can come back now since RMT drove you away. Are you ready to support again?[/QUOTE]

How’s taming? How’s grouping? How are the new dungeons? I’ll at least give the game a try again. RMT wasn’t my only issue. The game was quite the grind.

Jaesun and arcdevil like this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Please no more character bound items. Let us at least sell stuff for gold. Making things bound isn't the solution.

Bedawyn and Boris Mondragon like this.
  17. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

No.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I disagree.

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  19. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Stuff in the game needs to be accessible to the majority of the player base based on this genre's demographics. That really cannot include $100 - $1000 items. This madness needs to end.

How will inequity be addressed in the future?

Cirsee, Bow Vale, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  20. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

If you can't see that many of the issues, or the view of the game outside of your bubble, is not partly down to the perception that the game is one big collect em up for well off players who want to amass an in game collection of rares and such to sell for real money well, maybe players like that moving their money elsewhere is a good thing.

This game needs to become a game, not a place where a small community of veteran players with money to burn want presents to sell for real money. Or where they build immersion killing towns with hundreds of glowing decos. This game can be financially viable just from being a good game if it sends out the right message to new players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.