1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodydragon

bloodydragon Avatar

Guess I said something that a 25+ year fan of SP Ultima and UO fan would never say. Whatever. Looking forward to many many many more dance parties! Cheers

2. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

@Chris

You have spoken in the past about the dev's stating that they feel there is no "style" in the graphics AND

There was speculation about expanded lands instead of an overworld map which would cost 6 million or so.

With this change in ownership will Catnip make any large changes to the game as the above mentioned?

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I honestly don't know what to say...I am at a loss for words.

Upon reflection of the past year, it's not as if this is all that shocking. @Chris has been doing a majority of the heavy lifting for awhile now. Despite my oft criticism of the game's development focus, I have always respected how hard Chris works and his genuine concern with balancing the skill system. Even if those balances really came across like nerfs. ;)

Still, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that this news makes me feel slightly melancholy; like a child the day after Christmas. While I am excited for Chris and congratulate him on this new endeavor, part of me will miss LB and DS, but such is life. Hopefully their continued involvement doesn't decrease as time inexorably moves on.

Congratulations again Chris, I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Episode 2 and a potential quest/story overhaul. Maybe even the introduction of skill caps!? ;)

Now if I can make one final request, can we PLEASE bring back the old "boozy" telethons just one last time!? To remember the "old days" with @Lord British, @DarkStarr and the rest of the gang? I miss how fun and hilarious those events were. We need to have just one more to celebrate this occasion. Cheers!

#FreeHongKong

4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Off topic! Now CHINA will block you from the internet! :D

Bodhbh Dearg, amarious and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

More so a reference to Chris' comments during the recent livestream. :)

6. OzzyOsbourne

OzzyOsbourne Avatar

You cant, its the basis for mages....
    Also you would need to mega nerf health regen (based on max hp) and that would affect everyone. (bludgeon gets the most health)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Boris Mondragon and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  7. RoStudios

RoStudios Avatar

SPOILER!....Of Topic...LMAO. Touché! We had a cat that slept in our herb pots, so this made me laugh so loud.

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

We're gona be RICH I tells ya..

@Chris congrats you old dog :)

9. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Who is the creative lead on this project?

10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Arghlol

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I Support this.

This too.

12. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

13. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I only half listened but I think Chris said that he own this company name since a long time...I think he was talking about his studying and creating this company therafter and that he chose this name as he was a cat lover until he met his wife who is a dog lover. I think he also mentioned that he owns the fitting .com or .org domain but never created a website as he will continue to use shroudoftheavatar.com.
    The website you mention is a different company and is in no relation to the Catnip Games company who now owns SotA...I think he even mentioned in the stream that there are some similar sounding companies who made some xbox porting.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Witcheypoo and Feeyo like this.
  14. Superbitsandbob

Superbitsandbob Avatar

Watching the stream and reading the announcement, it doesn't seem as though anything has changed really. Initially I was like "new money!" for more development, but it's just the same. The person who was doing the work anyway will continue to do the work with the same resources.

15. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

But with lower expenses…I think in the stream he was not going into details but I think he said the old company had to pay ten thousands of dollars a year just for being that type of company without getting any benefit and as I understood the change of ownership reduced the expenses of SotA without changing staff or anything else. So to say SotA needs lesser money each month to continue business as usual....and this of course could also mean they are able to hire more people without surpassing the old budget.

16. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

So they have to cut the expenses. In a way, it's good because that's an optimized way to spend money (as long as it's right and they still have to be clear about that, I think).
    But how HAVING to reduce costs is supposed to be a good news anyway ?
    How having the same team working on the same product with almost the exact same organization can be changing anything here about the game ?
    How having Catnip being totally free from any Kickstarter promise is good for the game ?
    Apart from getting ride of the Seedinvestors, who bought Portalarium shares (and not Catnip shares or Shroud of the Avatar assets), I absolutely don't see the point yet.
    Sorry, I'm probably dumb, but I'm not convinced with this. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I'm still curious. As for now, to me, this is not a good news, even if @Chris showed to be a very dedicated person (but he was already in charge for a long time anyway).

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Congrats Chris! Even though it seems not much has changed, Ive always been happy with his goals for the game as they seem to line up with what I'm hoping for. So in addition to cutting costs for the project without changing much of anything, I can say there is one more positive change. I will definitely be spending more on the game to show my support! :D

Boris Mondragon and Witcheypoo like this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

We will see what will come from it. For the moment I will take him by his word. I have no reason not to.
    Ping me in a year and let's see what I will have to say then *shrugs*.

Astirian and Hornpipe like this.
  19. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Am intrigued how costs are cut if nothing has changed but hopefully this is a positive move in some way.

Good luck Chris ,I look forward to many positive changes that will tempt me back to try the game again...

20. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

The whole SOTA Project is shrinking every year, but I've played very good games, made by small dev. teams.
    So no big issue here about the changes, even if my intuition is concerned....

I'll be back as soon as we have:

1.) Meaningfull PVP
    2.) Endgame Content (example see 1.)

In the meantime, I wish the whole SOTA Team all the best !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.