1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Chris, as a concerned investor, can you give any more details or information on this? What/Who is the "vlpc company" and how do I find them for information?

I've looked on the Seed Invest profile page and the FAQ on the Port website and I don't see any vlpc company listed anywhere.

Also, Seed Invest has never sent me anything pertaining to Portalarium since purchasing my shares so I'm not expecting to get contacted by them.

StarLord, Rentier, Rat2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

You are correct brother at least for now. If and when we get the “Raid” party option and you dare come out and fight then you will be the first “dead” we bring out. “Grins”.

Congrats @Chris , let the big battles continue and a special thanks for your plan to “undo” collateral damage to melee.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Black Sails Forever

3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler the firm about which you inquired is a CPA consulting firm. They will not be able to advise you about the impact of this transaction regarding your shares. I would write a letter to Port and simply ask. I suspect they will have their attorneys respond; likely they will confirm you still own shares in Port, as before. The original post says this was an asset sale; so Port still exists, it just sold a game it made for undisclosed terms.

Maybe a Mr. Wonderful style royalty structure was used. Perhaps it was just a sale of the IP. Either way, or no way, the shares you owned in Port should not change, as the value of the IP sold will be paid to Port. So the share value should be the same as before, I would think. I hope this helps.

StarLord, Elrond, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I did not suggest you going bankrupt.. I said most of the time when you hear that news it means bad. Stay fair please.

Do not remove my posts and then state something I did not state.

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thanks for trying to help, but not sure I learned much from your post.

Chris said to "talk to the vlpc company listed for specifics". I would like to do so, but I don't know who this "vlpc company" is or how to reach them.

StarLord and Rentier like this.
  6. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Feeyo In my practice asset sales are good news. It means someone, here Catip, saw value in an asset, here the SOTA game and IP, and purchased it from the owner, here Port, believing that the asset will increase in value over time. That belief can be based upon the inherent value of the IP or, I suspect, here, that @Chris believes his talents and competitive advantage will allow him to substantially increase the value of the IP. Given his talent and investment in the game, I think this is good news for players of Shroud of the Avatar. The transaction speaks to the game prospering; that is the bet made by purchasing the IP.

@Chris is experienced and has been in the game trenches for a long time. That he wants to own the game speaks, to me, that he feels it will be a great success under his ownership. I think he is right, and now his self interest is served by making the game his company owns a success. I wish him well and look forward, as a player, to enjoying the successful game he is making. Onward and upward!

7. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Daxxe Diggler try emailing tbailey@vlpc.com that is to whom the post suggested addressing questions. Sorry I was not clearer. I would do as I recommended in the first reply. But here is the email address if you prefer friend. Good luck.

8. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

9. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I strongly agree with this. The game needs much more depth and many more properly completed systems not just harder monsters to appease the top 1% who out grow content due to the lack of capped skills (another bug bear of mine)

10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Well as a pure archer, you can make it up to us by uploading the patch for rapid fire you promised us in your stream yesterday :) ty Chris

StarLord, Paladin Michael and Barugon like this.
  11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Thank you for both the email and other contact info! I will email them to try to get more details.

How did you know these were the people to contact though?

12. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

OK, I'm an idiot. I just re-read the original post by Darkstarr and see that he included that contact info in the OP.

I read the announcement on my phone the first time around and I guess I just missed that part. Anyway, thanks again @King Robert .

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Tax reporting on an LLC is cake compared to any other type of company.

14. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Definitely, I have 2 LLCs and there is very little reporting that needs to be done.

Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  15. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I agree with this, but it could be a lite version of a guided tour of actions, explorations, and events. On top of the expense of the crown shop, I do hear "Where do I get started or what do I do next?" Heck even I have those questions. So an achievement system based on a light version of guided tour through getting started, getting through the main story and some scene highlight visiting, would go a long way to help players new and possibly old. You could even bring back the old tour hat quests to help exploration. While I know Marjoria is looking at a more complex system, something a bit lighter that still allows free exploration fun, should be in the realm of reasonable. I know Project Gorgon does this per zone; so a crowd funded game can do this and in a Unity engine.

16. Mimner

Mimner Avatar

Congratulations @Chris ! While change can be scary when I have so much emotionally invested in this game, I am heartened by the direction you have been taking the game in the last six months. I'm looking forward to how the game will continue to evolve and improve with you at the helm.

On the subject of improving the game systems, I know of a post on attenuation which someone apparently put a lot of work into... ;)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...it-works-and-how-it-could-work-better.156465/

Gravidy, Dhanas, amarious and 2 others like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No I am asking and have been asking for a full blown achievement system for years and have even been told we will get it. I want the game to recognize our achievements, track them, encourage us with goals we can set for ourselves or not, and reward us for doing the unusual like for example climb every mountain, catch every type of fish, craft every item, cook every food, finish quest lines and on and on. I am specific in my requests to improve this game for all types of players. Give us crafting dailies, pvp dailies, fishing dailies, (not just for new users) and more quests in scenes that progress and change out. Reward us with titles that have buffs so we have to choose. Give us coto rewards sometimes, and when we get mounts a chance to be rewarded with a special kind of mount. Rewards should be appropriate to what type of quest it is. So I'm asking for the core systems of this game to get much needed attention. The raid system too is a core system which needs immediate attention and implementation. Everything else on top of that can be gravy.;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  18. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I would love all that too. I doubt they can quite get to that depth, but maybe they can give us a way to write some of our own with eh LUA or other scripting option Chris has mentioned. But oh quests that change the environment and change quests in the area would be so wonderful. Maybe a game base world event?

19. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I legally cannot do anything more than direct you to them. That is one of those things that sounds silly but I was STRONGLY encouraged to just direct people their way.

20. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

I appreciate this from the chair you now sit in and makes sense you can't really say anything, but it does not instill confidence as a Seed investor to be directed for an attorney for more information - I suspect what we find out may not be great news.

I emailed that address as soon as it went up yesterday and have received no response or acknowledgment of my query thus far - if and when I receive one I will update this to indicate a response received (though I will not divulge the actual answer I get back, just that someone is actually answering these emails). I just don't want this to be another black hole where VLPC or whoever never gets back to me as an investor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.