1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sword of Midras Printed Copy Reward Replacement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

These are pledge rewards so they will not be in Vault nor will the be marked no trade / heritage.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Sounds like the perfect alternative for a writer like myself since I already have a signed copy of the Sword of Midras o_O

Always wanted a library in my home... :D

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Would definitely be interested in this.

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Honestly, I'd agree for this. It's definitely not 100%, but at least it gives closure for those who have been impatiently waiting in limbo.

After talking with Tracy Hickman myself at DragonCon this year about Book 2, I am definitely interested to know when the final manuscript will be released to the publisher. Chris had already said they were in the process of reviewing it. Hickman said he'll be working on Book 3 as well.

5. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Staring at the Library screenshot has me dreaming of Davinci code stlye tresure hunting swinging pixes at the floor and finding secret passages :D

Chatele and Astirian like this.
  6. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Ooh, that would be nice, secret rooms and passages!

Chatele and Astirian like this.
  7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This is a dereliction of duty. The promise of this reward was set before any relationship or deal with a publisher. An in game reward is hardly a replacement for those of us that funded this game in good faith but were disappointed in the outcome or for various other reason are not playing this game. This is not a proper substitute for a physical reward and is a breach of your promise to people that funded this game.

Are you saying that the authors of this book have no right to buy the book, sign it and mail it to backers? Or are you really saying you have bankrupted the project and cannot afford the costly way you need to provide this reward?

Authors sign and give away books all the time. I find it hard to believe there is no solution.

8. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Very happy with this solution, thanks. Better than the reward the Duke's received for their replacement in game heads!

Anyone still wanting the "book" can easily buy it for $1.99, I just checked and this is the expanded hardcover version. Maybe Garriott could send you a signed sticker to paste on the book cover!

StarLord and Cordelayne like this.
  9. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This is great. I had no interest in building my own dungeon until i heard info about player made quests, and now this makes it even better!

Sorry to those of you who wanted the physical book. Especially if you don't play anymore, that's a real bummer.

I couldn't be more happy about this replacement though. In fact i probably would have just given the book to someone in game who wanted it, so this is much better from my point of view!

FrostII and Witcheypoo like this.
  10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Very happy with this decision. Keep moving forward.

Engel likes this.
  11. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I think these are nice alternatives. We do at least have a digital version of the book. I really like the library. Is it possible that library can actually hold all the in-game books on the shelves too? Is it possible we can get the dungeon room as a free point room as well (so the use of the reward doesn't count against our dungeon total points for a property)?

Thank you for letting us know @DarkStarr

12. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I like the new gifts better

Witcheypoo and Cirsee like this.
  13. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

I've forgotten what makes a kickstarter backer account.

I bought one of my accounts and then had them merged.

How can I figure this out?

@Chris
    @DarkStarr

14. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Thanks. Good replacement in my book :rolleyes:. Great for the environment too.

15. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

While I do like the replacements, and somewhat mourn to loss of the added collecter's item I paid for, I just want to note one thing:

Using June 2016 numbers, if you had paid retail copy prices for all the copies needed, you would have dropped about $53k for them from the publisher. That's 1% of the money you raked in from the pledges from Patron on up to LOTM. If you had worked something out with the publisher to acquire the ~5300 copies pre-retail, that drops to probably something like $17.6k, or about 0.33% of the total pledge dollars from the levels mentioned. The tiniest amount of foresight and planning could have headed this whole thing off at the pass for a relatively low dollar amount, all things considered.

I'm still disappointed in the overall outcome, but thank you for looking at this one harder than you did similar situations and providing something more fitting as a substitute.

Elnoth, smack, Cordelayne and 4 others like this.
  16. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

Is this only for kick starter backers or any backers that pledged at a certain level or higher? For example, my original pledge was Edelmann.

17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If you pledged at Patron or higher, either on KS or the Shroud website, before midnight on August 31st, 2015, then you would be due a copy (Patron - Developer) or a signed copy (Citizen +). You, specifically, would be in the signed copy level.

18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LIES! WHFB is alive and well! At least in my heart and mind. ;)

Not to derail the thread, but I get it. GW was going public with an IPO and their internals showed overwhelmingly that 40K was the game to be pushing. At that point, GW was still making pewter minis remember, and the cost associated with those minis relevant to the number of buyers for WHFB, was de minimis. What shocked the hell out of me was that the creation of these minis, specifically for the metal ones, was rather cost intensive. As opposed to their plastic counterparts, I learned that each pewter mini had to have a unique mold and that mold obviously couldn't be plastic. Ergo, a mold had to be made for every offering, which not surprisingly got expensive since they are not making minis on demand, rather creating an inventory for every brick and mortar GW store globally. This is a MASSIVE upfront capital intensive cost.

Therefore, as a now publicly traded company they rather effectively created efficiencies, that while beneficial to the company, were at the cost of the consumer. As you well know, you are now paying a higher price point for a plastic mini that back in the day was the same cost as a metal one. I could carry on, but I won't. I know you get my drift. :)

19. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This will probably get deleted or get me banned; however if you are as upset as I am. Selling a reward promised on Kickstarter without providing it to backers is a violation of Kickstarter terms of service. You can login and go to the project page and report the project. This is listed as a specific, selectable complaint.

In no way is any virtual good the same value as a physical, signed piece of memorabilia. I hope Port/Catnip comes to their senses to provide a real form of replacement reward for people that were critical to this game getting made. Even having Tracy print and sign his manuscript is far better than a virtual reward. A digital item is not a good faith replacement. I would hope any reasonable person, even if happy about the virtual item, can understand this.

Caladhan, arcdevil, smack and 9 others like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I would've preferred something like a bow with unique properties but it's fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.