1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sword of Midras Printed Copy Reward Replacement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Mr. Knuckles (and one more person) - send me a message when these go live in game and I will send you mine from one of my two RF accounts. I wouldn’t be able to look at these travesties (imho), but I am also not cynical enough to just destroy them. So to a good home they will go.

2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

@DarkStarr are you deleting negative, non legal posts?

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

The response was appropriate for a host of reasons. Did you consider that practically no corporation answers legal questions on public chart boards? And why? Did you consider that the devs are not attorneys, and may not be licensed nor qualified in the state in which their business is incorporated to make legal judgements? Did you consider the ramifications if they did do that and were wrong? Would you want them to have to spend a whole bunch of money on even more attorneys to sort out legal miscommunications they blunder into (which is not good for the game)? This just scratches the surface. There are reasons attorneys exist and companies use attorneys. It has nothing to do with heavy handed forum moderation. It has everything to do with giving you appropriate advice on how to handle legitimate legal questions.

Cheers!

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm somewhat hoping it will be a mix of deco books with space for player books. Which is what I have set up now.

5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I realize this couldn't have been an easy decision for the team. The new rewards look great. Don't misunderstand me when I say I really was holding out for the printed book. Signed and all. Disappointing. But I understand. I want the project to succeed and last for decades.

That being said. I'm curious if the library will be something we can deco. Adding other books to the shelves and so on.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A nice opportunity to make a new piece of tech: Right click on bookshelf and choose "empty" or "filled". Filled has a random hodgepodge, Empty and you can do it yourself.

------

The money angle:

Hodgepodge is default, but curated collection is available on the store.Backfill to all the bookshelves. , I would bet even the crappy looking crafted one gets you some sales. (Yes I realize each bookshelf is different, sales are sales.)

So, as an example, you buy the "Main Questline Books", or the "Fairytales" collection.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

[​IMG]

8. Eldrik Elderberry

Eldrik Elderberry Avatar

Unacceptable. And what about all the people that don't play the game anymore? We've been waiting over 5 years for all of our physical rewards and listening to all kinds of excuses about why the book hasn't shipped and how the formatting wasn't up to snuff for its loyal backers. I guess we'll see what Kickstarter has to say about it.

9. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Now to do the "where's the pledge rewards sheet" shuffle. Who knows the cut off dates off the top of their head?

11. smack

smack Avatar

[​IMG]

But yeah, it is what it is. You guys seriously dropped the ball on this and the silence around it was laughably unprofessional. All the criticism you got on this here and elsewhere was entirely deserved on this issue.

So...what exactly where those disagreements with the publisher? The reward is cancelled, so can you give us all the deets? There's been too many vagueness and misinformation and lack of clarity around this. Too big to fit in the box? Price dispute? Distribution dispute? Graphic art placement dispute? Royalties, licensing fees, like really...what happened that in several years could not be resolved?

In any case, perhaps maybe I'll actually check out this dungeon library thing out...some day... But wait, windows in an underground dungeon?

Thank you, @Sir Frank.

12. Sergorn

Sergorn Avatar

Umbrae didn't threaten of any legal action, he only mentionned Kickstarter policy. But sure, just ban dissenting views, that's what your moderation do best it seems.

To say I'm dissapointed in how Portalarium has turned out would be an understatement.

You claimed to make a game about the Virtues, how about following those virtues in your business too ?

-Sergorn

ephialtes, Cordelayne, slash and 8 others like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I laughed so hard. I am a bad person.

14. Caladhan

Caladhan Avatar

I'm not playing SOTA anymore, but I would have liked to get the Book.
    So the digital rewards are worthless to me.
    Do I even need to buy a dungeon in order to use the "Sword of Midras Library"?
    That would really be not okay.:eek:

15. dayero

dayero Avatar

dungeons are craftable, but you need lots of granite. so either farm your ass off, buy some granite or rooms from players for gold or buy from the store.
    There were some room packs in recent livestream rewards, so those are abundant and probably the cheapest alternative you can get on player vendors.

16. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

To quote Gene Wilder from Willy Wonka - "You get NOTHING! You lose! Good day Sir!". (I am in the loser bucket too, btw).

17. Curt

Curt Avatar

Feels like a teacher when the student gives you a apple instead of summer homework.

May be a good idea to give information for people which locale shops sells the physical book so we can seek it out there.

slash likes this.
  18. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well,
    I bought the book along time ago.
    And I really like it, it gives a very good background for the whole story of the game - the game made more fun to me, while/after reading it, too :)
    And yes, I really hope for the second part next time.

What I don't understand is the whole problem of a re-print (watch the "Through the Moongate" kickstarter and how "expensive" it is to do it).
    Anyway:
    Why not at least buy the book and send it to those people who aren't pleased with the digitital replacement ...

@Chris, @DarkStarr, @Lord British, what is so difficult about ordering the books at least for THOSE people who won't accept the DIGITAL replacement?

If there were 100 people = $852,00 (directly sent to them by Amazon, no further costs!) - that's really not so much, I think.
    And even if you would order it to get signed by Lord British, the outsending of a package wouldn't make that big amount ...

Look for the current price at Amazon:
    Hardcover = $8,52 ...

[​IMG]
    The Sword of Midras: A Shroud of the Avatar Novel (Blade of the Avatar Book 1)
    by Tracy Hickman and Richard Garriott
    $8,52

19. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

20. enalNomad

enalNomad Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

No, and no. As pledge rewards, these will never be in the vault, nor marked Heritage / no trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.