Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes- Part 3

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara...Apsari?...) --"I have been tasked by Mingo TheBard," said Gerta, "to tell you of Krisskar the Mage after I and Minogame dropped off Mingo, Lyra, Princess BlueBell, and Hamster at the Isle of Feinantz. I shall do so, but in a less interactive style than used by Master Mingo, please forgive me.
    --"First let me explain some things. 'Apsara' is the same kind of word as 'human'. Just as there are humanoids who are mostly human, there are varieties within the Apsara. I do have the family name of the family which adopted me, which, for the moment, I shall not reveal. You could not pronounce it correctly anyway. When I first came into contact with humans at age 10, it was difficult for me to contain my anger at the insult of being called by my first name instead of my family name. We order our names with the family name first, and use family name, along with a suffix to indicate Miss, Mr., compatriot, ruler or other honorifics...after the name. Only close close family members or friends, and sometimes superiors, may call us by what you would say is our "first name". If we left this place, and one of my ....servants....heard you call me "Keeada" which sounds like "Gerta" if you use a soft "r".......they would be obliged to kill you for the insult."
    --"Let's stay in here," FireAngel advised wisely.
    --"Emiko and Tomoko," Gerta indicated the two ladies at the sides of the stage, "Have been trained in the ways and customs of humans and are quite forgiving of your barbarian manners, well, barbarian to us anyway, don't be insulted. They will not kill you, no matter what you say or do.... in this room anyway....while I am here....I'm pretty sure.
    --I could not resist, I had to ask. "Where did Emiko learn to say 'Ya'll'?" The others in the room, feeling quite apprehensive, thought I was nuts to ask such a question.
    --Gerta laughed, and then shortly after Emiko laughed a little. The tension broke in the room. "Explain Emiko," ordered Gerta gently.
    --Emiko, in a noticeable South Georgia accent which I will not try to type literally here explained, "There is a kind of technological magic that allows communication between the zones. You sit at a magical display with a small camera focused on your face. This magic allows you to see and speak with another person vast distances away, but at the same moment in Master Time." Then Emiko grinned. "I learned to speak this language first from Gerta and then by magic communication from someone I know as Bryan.The.Bard."
    --Gerta grinned knowingly at me and raised her eyebrows up and down a few times, obviously suppressing a chuckle.
    --"You bards are known throughout the Metaverse for many skills," CatherineRose commented softly.
    --"If I may continue, I think you are wondering more of the Apsara, and the mark on Lyra's sea chart which matched the tattoo on Krisskar's forearm."
    --Ordinarly there would have been much more chatter and commentary, but somehow we in the audience felt a little...subdued. It turns out it was a wise decision to be a bit less jovial than usual......

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  2. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady listened, quietly picked up the tension, and made a rod out of it, and set it in the corner for possible curtain use. Noting Catherine's glance, she whispered, "Better than a headache."

3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara...Apsari?...) --Beyond the wall at the rear of a stage, a loud argument could be heard. The voices spoke not in our language, indeed, not in any human sounding language. Not quite animalistic growls, hisses and barks issued between two....beings. Gerta's two ladies in waiting immediately posted themselves between Gerta and the black, gauzy curtain, Facing the back of the stage.
    --It seemed that their arms grew longer, but perhaps it was just because they assumed a crouched position. From their hands blades extended....I think they were blades...I was glad at that moment I could not see their faces.
    --With a deep sigh Gerta said to us, almost apologetically. "Excuse me a moment while I straighten out two idiots." then she turned, said something to her two guards and followed them through a gap in the black screen. Soon we heard what was obviously Gerta's voice raised in anger, speaking in some kind of tongue unknown to human kind. It seemed that a brief protest was made by one of the two unknown beings, but was cut short by Gerta. Ominous silence followed.
    --We could hear the sound of the sliding door/panel closing and the three returned, the two ladies (guards?) resuming their kneeling position but now directly behind Gerga and facing each other. "I regret the interruption," Gerta said with a smile. "Two of my less intelligent underlings failed to remember my orders and began a political discussion about some stupid issue upon which they disagree."
    --I raised my hand. It seemed the proper thing to do instead of just blurting out a question. "Yes, master bard?" Gerta acknowledged me with a nod.
    --"Um, obviously Gerta-sama, you are a person of authority here. Just what kind of position do you hold?"
    --"Gerta-sama, I like that, it is even acceptable to my guards here." Gerta said and her guards seemed to be a bit less tense. "As I said, I was adopted. My older sister was 11 and I was 5 when I came here. She became my childhood playmate, my mentor, and my sister. Later it was she who danced and sang aboard the good ship PossumRose and made off with Krisskar, whom she wed."
    --"As sister of the Princess and heir, I am also accorded the standing of a princess, with a small 'p' you might say. Our mother is currently the head of our branch of the family. To give you a better understanding I must tell you an abbreviated history of the Apsara."
    --"But first," Gerta-sama said with a tavern wench smile, "Would anyone like something to drink?"

4. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I looked around suspiciously, knowing what kind of concoctions show up at gatherings like this, hoping for a peat whiskey, or any whiskey (and even whisky would be acceptable)

5. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady passes Bov Four Roses and a separate glass of ice and slice of lemon.

6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara.) --Libations, both alcoholic (if over 18) and non were served to the patrons, also drinks. The two serving lady/guards were once again gracious and smiling human women. I could not help but remember the words Gerta spoke earlier about them ** They will not kill you, no matter what you say or do.... in this room anyway....while I am here....I'm pretty sure.** and I just could not erase from my mind the fierce stance they took in defense of their mistress, nor the blades, or maybe claws that extended from their hands.
    --Another sliding door opened to the left at the front of the stage. Two more servants brought to Gerta a cushion, a small table placed at her elbow and a pot of tea. One of these servants, who seemed almost identical to Tomoko and Emiko, poured tea for Gerta, who sat upon daintily on the side of one hip with her feet tucked back and sipped tea while observing us. She had moved slightly to one side of the stage, away from the black mesh screen.
    --As things settled down, The two ladies took standing positions at Gerta's side of the stage. "The Apsara," Gerta resumed speaking, "are not human. They exist in the realm of Air and Water you might say, although that is imprecise. Consider the air elementals and water elementals of Novia for example, they are actually a cousin species to the Apsara, but more wild and less civilized. Apsara babies are always female, thus husbands are sought from all over the Metaverse. This has introduced a wide variation in physical attributes and abilities of succeeding generations.
    --"There were 34 original "Laukika" or worldly Apsara. My mother and sister descend from this tree. Most can do what you would call "shape shifting" to some extent, although usually is is just the ability to look like some particular type of human, or humanoid form. Most have some kind of ability that you would call "magic" bearing in mind that savages might consider a simple match to be magic. Some branches have taken to the sea, and are the mermaids you know of, although if any are in Novia, they have not yet been revealed."
    --"Maybe in a future patch," I whispered to FireAngel.
    --"All the Apsara are skilled in Dance and Song," Gerta nodded to me, "However they generally reserve these skills for catching a husband. I read the logs in the Fire Lotus Tavern, and I recall Mingo had his ears plugged to prevent hearing my sister's song, and he only saw a tiny bit of the beginning of her dance. The dance of the Apsara has been copied by human women, as best they can, and is performed in many areas of old Earth.
    --"Look now upon a "magic" projection showing a nice interpretations of the Dance of the Apsara....."
    --The stage lights slowly died and the two globes of lights at the side of the stage dimmed. It was then that I noticed that Gerta's servant women had a red glow emanating from their eyes. Once again we saw a kind of magical projection, and it seemed to be the same one seen long ago...but alas the link in that log had deteriorated.....

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

8. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Fireangel puzzled. When the dance came toward a close, she leaned near Mingo's ear, careful of his tickling whiskers. "I haven't experienced the patches in a long time. Most people descend from a tree eventually. Apsara do seem interesting, with shape-shifting and sea branches. Who suspected this in Gerta? My dancing -- pardon me. What's next, dear Mingo?" She said, taking a sip of Port.

9. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I take a sip of the Four Roses, involuntarily comparing it to the Connemara Peat I drank before, before pushing that thought away and gratefully enjoying one of the better Bourbons, still somewhat surprised at what things make it over to this part of the Metaverse, and turn my attention back to the projection, comparing those to the Selkie...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  10. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara.)--"ah my friend," I explain. "that projection was an unknown human woman on old Earth, not Gerta. It seems some Old Earthers have had knowledge of the Apsara for some time."
    --Raising my hand once again, I ask Keeada-sama, "What happened when Krisskar disappeared from the boat PossumRose?"
    --"Oh yes," Gerta continues. "My sister, Kushinada-Hime, brought him here, to the land of the Apsara, the Luakika Apsara, where they wed and spent a most wonderful honeymoon month!"
    --I was perplexed, as it had not taken us a month to get to the Isle of Feinantz, where we once again linked up with Krisskar; a much befuddled Krisskar, who, if his face would have allowed it, would have displayed a silly grin to match his far away look. "A month?" I asked incredulously.
    --"Oh...yes....hmmmm" Gerta pondered her answer. "Some beings in the Metaverse," she nodded and smiled at TimeLord, " have the ability to pilot a magic, or technologically complex device...kind of like an elevator. "Tardis?" TimeLord inquired. "Somthing like that....this is my version, where you are now.
    --"Think of an elevator with two doors. This elevator serves two buildings. You can enter from one building and travel to another .... floor ... and exit into the adjacent building. Now consider that you can relocate your elevator to ANY building. When you enter, you are on the "ground" floor. You can descend and go back in time and exit to either your own zone, or the adjacent zone."
    --"I am one of the few who can pilot such a device. After a month I ferried Krisskar back to the Isle of Feinantz, not only in physical location, but in time. For him a blissful month had past; for you, only a few hours. I could always do this, but TimeLord's gift of a sonic screwdriver has made things much easier for me."
    --"by the way," Gerta added an explanatory note. " 'hime' or sometimes 'o hime" is the proper suffix for 'princess'. actually it would be more correct if you call me Keeada-Hime, but I am not picky. I like the human world and have adapted to many customs. Gerta-sama is fine."
    --"Another question, if you will allow, can you go FORWARD, or up, in time?" I inquired.
    --"Oh that is quite easy!" Gerta smiled. "To go forward in time, you just wait..."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  11. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady giggled, and her petite pale hand shot up to cover her mouth.

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

(ABOVE TABLE AND OUT OF CHARACTER)

I am loving these posts, lurking and reading! So much fun! :D

13. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

I sigh and shake my head over all the forced formality, thinking back to the much more friendly and free customs at Sídh ar Feimhim. I then wondered by what rights they'd presume to be allowed to attack anyone over a perceived slight without knowing the rank and stature of the 'offender'...
    By these standards Mingo, and many of the others present, including even Gerta, Keeada-sama, whichever, should have been killed many times over already, but the Fianna would only laugh at such a suggestion...

I take a large gulp of the Four Roses and cough violently as some of it hits my windpipe.

14. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

The lady jumps, and pats Bov firmly on the back. "It's good, but don't inhale it!"

Time Lord, Mingo, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara.)--I am not sure my compatriots realize the danger we are in. Keeada (Gerta) is human, but the others of this Zone are not. I am not knowledgeable about the Laukika branch of the Apsara .....race?.....but they seem to have a very old culture, with inherent tendencies toward violence. As for my own "cultural norms" I begin to feel very much like the character in an old play who protested to Caesar: "Caesar! This is not meet!" To which Caesar's friend exclaimed "What!!!!". "Forgive him," Caesar said, "For he thinks the traditions and culture of his little island are the very Laws of the Universe." ....or something like that. These Apsara, who raised Gerta, are not human, I should not expect their cultural norms to match mine. I want to go back to Novia. As much as I have unanswered questions, I feel a portent of doom.

--From the side room a servant lady brings a message to Gerta, then retreats. Gerta stands and reads the message to us. "Portalarium has been sold."

16. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

gets a note from her waterelemental: "Portalarium itself is not sold but the operational side..." and thinks so Portalarium has sold the rights to operate SotA

17. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

"I knew that, but I was surprised when I learned," Fireangel said as she rummaged in her pack for something. With a flourish, she pulled out a little toy and waved it near the floor. A cat came around the corner and snatched the object from her hand. It became more playful, swatting, and rolling on the toy alternatively. "You've heard of Catnip," the lady said aloud. "Remember Dippy Bird? He seems quite satisfied with Catnip. I've heard he's in charge. It couldn't be all bad." She watched the cat play. "But where has Lord British gone? That is a bit sad. Some others who built Novia to what it is are gone too, and that is concerning. One never knows the future. Make the most of what you have, my friends."

18. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"So Atos is now officially in charge, huh? I consider that a positive thing in general, although it may be a challenge for some people..." I remark, at the same time wondering whether these Apsara are in any way related to the Fomhóraigh

19. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the "zone" of the Apsara.)--Suddenly it seems as if Gerta is covered by the Arithmetic sign for addition. This is odd, since during her entire time in this place she has been non-plussed. "Our time here draws near its end," she pronounces. "There are two more things on my agenda. There is will be some introductions after I give you a brief explanation of the Daivika branch of the Apsara. Unlike the worldly Laukika who have physical form, mostly comprised of air and water, the daivika are more....divine? no that's not it....spiritual? not really....anywho they are incorporeal, not physical."
    --"The Daivika are the ones whose haunting voices draw sailors to their doom upon the open sea, for their voices are ethereal and inhumanly beautiful. It is not their fault that they like rocky outcrops that do not welcome ships, they harbor no ill will. Banshees are another group within the Daivika,"Gerta explains. "They like Old Earth, as there are technological "magic" devices there that you do not find in Novia.
    --"One particular Daivika Apsara, has become quite famous on Old Earth. She has found a way to perform "in person" so to speak, before thousands of fans, and has also found a way to transport her image and song to millions of followers on Old Earth. Here is a magical projection of her."

***author's note.... there is some corruption in the attached file. Please watch the first three parts....learning to fly...entering the world in minature, and performing***
    --"this Apsara is not typical of her branch of the family, but you will get some idea of them."

Time Lord, CatherineRose and Rentier like this.
  20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.