Maps not available?

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by tolnor, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tolnor

tolnor Avatar

Hi guys, thanks in advance to the kind soul who answers :)

While adventuring i have noticed that almost 90% of the areas outside of towns dont have a map. It just says something like, "map not available".

I read somewhere about them transfering the map database to a new server or something similar but that cant be the reason still can it? i'm sure that post was awhile ago.

Do i need to buy the maps from somewhere?

Many thanks

Tolnor

2. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

No, the only maps available for purchase are obsolete and not really useful. Although -- I don't know, perhaps some of them might be helpful again now, just as a temporary measure if the real map for that scene isn't in yet, as long as the user knows to rely on it only for a general gist and not for specific details.

The switchover to the new map system was only several weeks ago, not long at all considering everything else they're working on. I could wish they'd made sure more maps would be ready to go as soon as the switchover happened, but if wishes were horses...

Lained likes this.
  4. tolnor

tolnor Avatar

thanks for the reply guys... suprised it is taking so long to just migrate a load of maps but oh well :)

Many thanks!

5. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Yeah, I'm surprised too, but if I remember correctly, they're not just migrating them, they're generating new ones. Although I'd thought the point of the new system was to make the generation quicker and easier.... oh well.

6. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The reason for the map system change was to remove the external DLL the old system one was using. Unity would keep pointing to that as the cause of all our crashing problems. Now unity can’t use that as an excuse to not fix crashing problems with their engine.

The remaining maps that are needed are still a work in progress.

7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Would it... would it have killed them to leave the old system in place while they generated the new maps?

8. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Unity would continue to ignore their crashing problems with their engine if the old system was not removed.

Elwyn likes this.
  9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

they're still on the website.

Elwyn and Jaesun like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Translation: a full ****ing web browser as a plug-in that went to the old web maps that still exist at https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/map/ .
    Which, as previously mentioned, caused Unity to toss out many bug reports because they saw some "external" code in there.

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

The website doesn't show your position, does it?

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Don't even get me started...

13. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

Speaking of the maps - what I’d love to see them do to the map system is to add fog of war until your avatar has explored a map - unless your avatar is holding a map for that region. If you hold the map, the fog of war is removed. Gives a rpg reason to spend in game gold on those maps that book vendors sell.

Sentinel2, Bedawyn and Jaesun like this.
  14. Glantor Edge

Glantor Edge Avatar

All the PVP areas maps are not available. Makes it difficult to complete quests.

15. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all
    Someone ask a question during the R78 Livestream if the old maps that are still in the game and can still be traded and bought from NPCs could be made into wall hangings. @Chris said that would be easy/great to do so if you have any you have something to look forward to. Of course this does not do anything to help us with missing usable maps in game. But would be cool from a Deco point of view.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

You do not need to go to any PvP area to finish any quests. You can go to the underworld: http://sotawiki.net/sota/Underworld

Though unfortunately most of these maps also are missing still as well....

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Interesting read. So are we saying we are X years into the game and still don't have a functioning in-game map? Or are we missing something?

18. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

We do not currently have a functioning map system for all scenes in the game.

Feeyo likes this.
  19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I think we were never supposed to have maps in the first place, per Lord British. So the system was never built into the game from the get-go. When they finally realized they needed one, they just bought the fan-made system and called it good enough. Then they finally implemented their own... and then just sorta stopped working on it after a few months.

That said, our current map system is a bit of a SotA outlier. Usually they implement 80% of a system and leave it 20% unfinished; the maps flipped that around. I wish they'd finish it, I really kind of like it. At least make sure all new scenes going forward have a working map when they go live.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  20. crummel

crummel Avatar

Am I mistaken or used to be there an add on to display the old fan base made maps in game? Can’t that be done again? The maps are available online, aren’t they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.