SotACon Austin 2020 - Ideas, plans, and coordination starts now!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Greetings fellow Avatars,

A crowd of SotA players (and more) will be planning the SotA Convention for 2020 in Austin. Ideas are already floating around in the past 24 hours.

Who is this crowd? Anyone who wants to get involved!

I, Winfield, have volunteered to be a central coordinator for SotACon 2020 to encourage MANY people to express their ideas and get involved in SotACon 2020 in Austin. I will help keep lots of things in motion throughout the year so everyone can contribute, have fun, and bring the SotACon "experience" to all people in fun and meaningful ways... oh, and not just to people attending in Austin! Read on!

CASTLETON: There is already a buzz about physically hosting the SotACon Austin 2020 at Lord British's property in his Castleton Village! Lord British already talked about this idea over Teamspeak today at the weekly Ordinis Mortis' town meeting. Thanks @Lord British and @Minerva !!

VIRTUAL: This is not just about Austin in 2020! Preliminary brainstorming has already discovered ideas to make this a highly VIRTUALLY CONNECTED event around the world in a live fashion. Physical hubs, twitch streams, go-pro cameras, in-game activity, etc. are possible! This means ... even if you can't fly to Austin, you can "be in Austin" with modern information communications and technology. Huzzah!

MANY EVENTS IN 2020: More brainstorming among players also revealed a desire to have several in-Austin, in-game, and perhaps in-other-states/countries events to culminate at the SotACon Austin 2020 event! Some of these may be to "test" virtual connections and interaction. Some may generate interest and ideas in game for more virtual interaction at the "avatar level", e.g, SotA or player quests. Some may be to try a mini-King's Dinner at Castleton with a few people before the big event. Some may take advantage of Lord British's annual visits to Europe. In other words, SotACon Austin 2020 is destined to be a year-long interactive, highly positive planning and engagement series of activities for MANY players--very inclusive!

Radio, Streamers, Community Portals, Guilds, and Towns are all needed to bring awareness to this event; and to help plan it! So think about what you can do to bring the kind of experience you want at SotACon Austin 2020 in Austin or wherever you live!

Ambitious ideas? You bet!

Do-able? You bet! Why not?! After all, we are all The Avatar!!

Planning meetings, discord servers, twitch streams about SotACon 2020, etc. will come by November 15, 2019. For now, let's brainstorm for 30 days here, with your friends, reach people, identify yourselves or others to get involved, and anything else you desire.

Dates in 2020 are not set yet; events are not defined; but the experience will likely center around being World-Wide, at Castleton in Austin with a mix of Role-play/storytelling/quests, bring in more than just SotA interests (e.g., DnD paper gaming), SotA Dev discussions, and a whole lot of community building and camaraderie locally and virtually!

Please reply here with ideas, questions, buzz, enthusiasm, Huzzahs, and whatever else? Reach me privately here on Conversations if desired too.

What do you all think?

/Bow
    Winfield of PaxLair

Mhtic, Elgarion, Cordelayne and 32 others like this.
  2. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Glad you are already working on it @Winfield

I will be happy to help in any way possible, it was a pleasure to meet you in person...looking forward to SOTA CON 2020!

3. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

Count me in. Not sure what I can do. But, I'm more than happy to do it.

Mhtic, Elgarion, Rinaldi and 6 others like this.
  4. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Seems like I stumbled into a conversation of sorts. Maybe I'll take a bit to think and then do more than wave to fellow Avatars

Elgarion, Merrik, Lady Addy and 8 others like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If i know the exact date i could be able to physically attend.

I practiced being social and going to a big city this past summer \o/

Numa, Elgarion, NANOC and 14 others like this.
  6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

For the Horde!

7. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

This will be completely different! Looking forward to working together with the community to put together a truly awesome experience!

Elgarion, Curse2, Winfield and 6 others like this.
  8. Sagewise

Sagewise Avatar

Enjoyed attending SOTA Con on Sat and spending the day with like minds. It was great to put faces to in game characters I have met. I am so happy @Winfield has volunteered to take on this very important and multi faceted position. I am looking forward to watching the SOTA community grow in numbers. Let's Go! Huzzah! Sage o7 :)

9. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I am so excited about this journey. We have an amazing community and I look forward to making more memories together! As the guild leader to a number of people who live outside of the USA I am excited about ways to help them be more connected. And thank you @Winfield and @Lord British for joining us today and sharing the vision of what is to come.

@Arkah EMPstrike I hope to see you there!

Mhtic, Elgarion, Lady Addy and 7 others like this.
  10. Duke Ezekiel Cooper

Duke Ezekiel Cooper Avatar

The BMC will be there with enthusiasm.
    If you need help with international media and avertisement, we have members world wide as well, that will help get this event plugged in.

11. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

Count me in!!

12. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Better start planning to get good audio recordings! XD

//Looks fun meeting up!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Elgarion, Ravalox, Curse2 and 5 others like this.
  13. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

14. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

@Winfield I plan on being present as well.

Please let me know how I can help.

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I am interested in the future developments of this project.

16. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

@Minerva , indeed!

In fact, @Lord British specifically mentioned in his ideas that "stone soup" should be on the menu for lunch or even the King's Dinner! I fondly remember HoBLotH 3 where we brought our own quests to Castleton. You brought the soup; I brought Fishing with Winfield. Some of that and more for SotACon is all possible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mhtic, Cordelayne, Elgarion and 12 others like this.
  17. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

SotACon 2020!

Here are some ideas, I think would be especially nice for SotACon 2020!

First a personal favor... my family anchors our activities in France, around my wife’s family, in July and August, so before July or after August would make my own attendance much easier.

For me, a core Friday-Sunday event sounds wonderful, with an outline something like this:

Imagine a mix of HoBLotH and SotACon...

Guests arrive Friday at their leisure, Friday evening is held in Castleton as an RP event. Invite Iolo out to play his loot, while in character stories are told of past and future exploits, by both known characters of Britannia’s history, as well as community members who may wish to join in.

Stone Soup seems a must, even a royal decree, since Minerva has inspired such passion in princess Kinga. Perhaps all guests could be encouraged to bring an ingredient each to add to the soup.

Evening games and activities center around camaraderie, food, drinks, and RP.

Worth noting, perhaps we can open Castleton to camping and cabin use, as an adjunct to hotels with better showers.

Saturday: SotA talks. Perhaps also at Castleton.
    Pre show LARP quests perhaps?
    Saturday evening Baron’s Men performance, and late night Castleton revelry.

Sunday: RP fighting at the castle and ship, breakfast feast, fishing.
    Sunday lunchtime goodbyes and trips home.

- Lord British

Mhtic, Elgarion, Rhiannon and 27 others like this.
  18. Lord British

Oh, and we need time for a court, perhaps Sunday AM, for any ONBE’s or awards for the best stories, costumes, encampments, quest winners, etc.

19. Lord British

And biggest fish.

Elgarion, Rhiannon, Elrond and 14 others like this.
  20. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

I'll pitch in where I can too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.