COTO Trade taxes, an idea I can support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I heard mention that this is part of the plan, and want to say that it is a much better idea than no trade, with some simple comparisons why.

No trade is to State Owned Property as COTO trade fees is to Free Market with taxes.

The latter is much more interesting.

No trade is to "game" as COTO trade fee is to "world".

One is a rigid boring experience, the other is dynamic and surprising.

I will make a prediction that any effort put toward clamping down will be regretted later by the Developers, as they suddenly have money rolling in hand over fist when they start getting a small piece of the many player transactions that take place. So then they will roll back a whole bunch of these changes in order to make as much tradeable as possible, and that will have been wasted dev money (our money).

So bring on the taxes, someones got to build the roads. And put the authoritarian property control behind us.

----

Edit: Literally everything will go tradeable that they haven't locked themselves out of, even Mojito. It makes more sense to get 10% of millions of transactions than no percent of none.

Stop locking now, you'll regret it later.

// Millions? Yes, the player economy is ~100,000 transactions a day according to Chris. Even if only 1/10th of that is taxed crown items, that's 3 million transactions a year.

Aetrion and Nick like this.
  2. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Taking piece of the action to trade premium items is probably a good revenue idea; better than item binding for sure.

But slow your roll on how many of these occur daily; that 100,000 transactions per day is items traded, not 100,000 different trades.

That stack of 10,000 reagents I traded to my alt? Yup, that’s a big chunk of activity in his shroud math. Lest you think there are actually 70 distinct trades or transactions happening every single minute of every day.

And as you point out, a small fraction of trades are likely taxable premium items instead of say, wood, stone or reagents- none that stuff better be taxed or player trades go bye bye. But again, the concept sure is better than the account bound nonsense.

arcdevil likes this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

100,000 transactions. If it was items then we'd have 10 trades a day.

4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

They're already adding flags to the items to determine if they are quest, heritage, and other types. It would be a simple thing to add a check for one of these flags, and apply COTO taxes on just that type of trade. Slightly more difficult to update merchant code to not only perform these checks, but include them in the price displayed.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

To provide some additional clarification, what we discussed over lunch at SotACon (so DLMB) was allowing items to be sold on player vendors for COTOs, which would open up the opportunity to sell Heritage and other No-Trade Items on player vendors with a hypothetical 10% COTO tax placed on those transactions. Both of these ideas had support from both the players and Chris, so I'm hopeful.

Xee, Jaesun, Elwyn and 1 other person like this.
  6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

And it is one that actually sounds great! Runescape actually did something like that, where they started selling "Bonds", which allows a player to renew their subscription for 14 days each. These can be traded, as long as the player pays a 10% or so tax to open it up for trade. It is an idea that allows for many things, and the fact that it allows the item to become tradeable is great.

K1000 likes this.
  7. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Just have to agree to disagree at least on the number Chris says- gonna call shenanigans on Chris’ shroud math, or he is leaving some metric out of that that is more than just player to player/vendor transactions.

1.15 vendor trades or player trades every second of the day. Is there still a mode people can be invisible in? Because there aren’t enough players in game to support that volume.

If he is calling every game action a “transaction “ (every time you loot a corpse, that’s a transaction), okay sure. But 100,000 player or vendor trades, nah.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    arcdevil likes this.
  8. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

Very interesting !!!

9. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

That was my recollection as well...

10. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

This makes sense to me. The really big issue with people trading premium items is that it takes away revenue from Portalarium when people just sell the same premium items among each other over and over. Having a small "sales tax" would get COTOs out of the game and thereby increase sales hopefully.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That is a much better idea then what i was thinking, simply unlocking them for a certain amount of cotos. This will give revenue each time the item is traded, I like it!

12. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I guess my question is ‘Does that lead to a surcharge on the purchase and selling of COTO?’ on the vendor as an item?

13. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'm fine with the idea of trade taxes, but I worry about selling things for COTOs on vendors, especially but not only if it's the same vendor that sells things for gold. Sounds like a source of potential confusion for new customers and new sellers, and unneeded extra complexity for veteran ones. I'd rather see a "Player Exchange" type shop on the website or as a subsection of the Crown Shop, or even in-game NPC-run shops that bought and resold items for crowns, than mixing the player vendors together.

Jaesun and Vladamir Begemot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.