1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Sword of Midras Printed Copy Reward Replacement

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

This is a lovely idea, I wish they would do it, but two problems.

1) This would require Chris to coordinate signing of books and shipping them out. I have no doubt he never wants to do that again, especially because most people who likely want the actual book over a dungeon room don't play his game any longer - i.e., not much benefit for him other than a warm fuzzy that obligations were fulfilled. The world does not run on warm fuzzies though.

2) This would cost money that Catnip Games either does not wish to spend or does not have to spend on an old commitment.

And so it won't happen.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Well, I wouldn't expect there would be 100 player, may be approxm. 50?
    For the money: they could do a special COTO sale (10,000 for $65/$70) and the amount would be in very fast ;)

Anyway, you're right. But as we know: hope dies last ...

AlmostGivenUp likes this.
  3. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Another thought - They could have also just come out and said, hey, we couldn't get to an agreement with the publisher to reprint the book; they are making us pay full price for the paperbacks, and to buy those plus ship them it will cost X (insert amount here - yes, probably a decent number more that $10,000). We are going to stick to our commitment, but would like to try to offset some of that cost by offering for sale these (insert all of the digital items they are now making) - can the community help us out?

Then you don't miss fulfilling a physical reward, you have a plan to offset some of the cost, you generate a hell of a lot more goodwill with players and the press, and your existing players still will get new shiny things in game to play around with (and a lot more of them too, since anyone could purchase them).

Cirsee, Cordelayne and Bedawyn like this.
  4. evillego6

evillego6 Avatar

I believe the number of accounts that were supposed to get the novel is in the thousands. It reached nearly 1,000 during the Kickstarter alone and didn't expire for another two years after that so any upgrades or additional pledges at those levels were added to that number. I was told by someone that the number is close to 4,000 accounts.

StarLord likes this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Perhaps. However you forgot their alts ;D

StarLord and Paladin Michael like this.
  6. Tazar

Tazar Avatar

I hope this is the case, but given the other "pledge rewards" that have ended up in the vault, such as Prosperity tools, I remain a little doubtful.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  7. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

There is an old Dallas post of pledge numbers from when these expired from pledges in May 2015 - you are right, the number is just over 4,000.

Cordelayne likes this.
  8. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I am confused as my pledge has Artisan tools and I bought Prosperity tools from the store on the website

9. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Prosperity Tools were not exclusive pledge rewards. I also bought them in Shop. Artisan tools were pledge rewards - and were never in shop ...

10. Phoenix007

Phoenix007 Avatar

Personally I like this. Physical material take too much of place for me.

11. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

I got my copy on Audible. Voice acting was very nice. It made me think how wonderful it would have been if the quests would have been narrated in this game.

12. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

Tracy Hickman commented on the issue on Twitter:
    "This is news to me. The sad truth is that not only have I no control over this issue but do not even have a copy of the book of my own"

Duke Olahorand and MrBlight like this.
  13. Birko

Birko Avatar

I'm happy with this. I have a hard cover copy of Sword of Midras and signed it myself.
    I got to role-play Lord British.

14. AvatarGG

:(:(:( 5 years delay, quite exteme indeed.

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Michael Lanzer

Michael Lanzer Avatar

I can live with this. I am a bit disappointed, however, with the books intended to be a trilogy I am hoping to get a nice box set of the three instead of just the one. I can handle a digital copy of the book. Might actually inspire me to set roots down and make a dungeon when I replace my old machine and can actually run the game again. Now just get Lord British and Tracey locked back into a dungeon with 99 typewriters. Wait that's not how that saying goes. Anyway, thanks @DarkStarr and @Lord British for addressing this finally.

16. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Thank you for asking the question while at DragonCon!

17. ephialtes

ephialtes Avatar

Derium
    I'm rather not pleased with the "we are too poor" excuse being used over the signed copy of The Sword of Midras. Is there a way I can just arrange to purchase a signed copy of any of your books from you? An autographed book from you was something I really wanted.

Tracy Hickman
    I do not have a copy of the book of my own as it is. Let me give this some thought.

https://twitter.com/trhickman/status/1183234728771518465

Eldrik Elderberry likes this.
  18. Eldrik Elderberry

Eldrik Elderberry Avatar

Maybe Portalarium should do another Kickstarter to come up with funds to get backers the signed novel;)

19. Floors

Floors Avatar

Ya gotta ask yourself this question, why would anyone badger and get so mad over an 8 dollar new, 2 dollar "used, good condition" hardcover book ? The solution to the problem is right there. The truth is none of you really want that book. You're not gonna read that book. You just want to badger a failed company about it when they took all the steps they could to keep a game afloat with less than 500 players.

The behavior of so called fans here is more disturbing to me than the actions of the company. Someone asked, why doesn't the company follow the virtues ? Ask yourselves the same question in that magic mirror. Humility, Sacrifice, and Compassion. For those that follow the virtues in words and deeds I salute you.

20. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Probably shouldn't speak for others. I fully intended to read the book, I also wanted a signed copy of it. I badger because that was what they offered in exchange for money, they got the money, I got some junk in game asset I never asked for and I'll never even look at. So if one wants to talk virtues, the lecture should be directed towards port. Taking money for something, spending it on other things instead of setting aside the portion needed to fulfill their obligations? If negligence were a virtue they'd be set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.