Very interesting video of lord British

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is just after Tabula Rasa and in the beginning of Portalarium. It explains where control points and cover came from. :) Not a fan of CPs as end game content. Cover isn’t so bad allows me to game the AI.

Thank you for Ultima Online!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

The other RG failed game? :p

Girlsname and arcdevil like this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I found it interesting they had to beg / throw a fit to get UO approved, also interesting RG talks about walking away from a dead game vrs letting launch for the sake of the employee. Listening to RG you really get the feel for his intellect, he is a smart dude.

SOTA pop is low but I blame lack of advertising as well as deeper game systems to get people to stick.

1. I see and talk to gamers a couple every week in my job, I’ve never ever had one of them who ever heard of shroud of the avatar. I’ve made this attempted conversation since 2013.

2. char development and the xp grind both adventuring and crafting is the only real sticky for me. I’m not really into deco or dance parties I know some people love that kind of stuff. What I’m missing is finding cool gear as loot a reward for killing harder and harder mobs better and better loot. Shroud doesn’t have that as a core draw also missing real party/raid content. And finally missing battle ground objective style pvp.

Rada Torment, K1000 and Chatele like this.
  4. eli

eli Avatar

This is a really good point. I think in the history of MMO development, there have been things added which became such good and reliable targets of player attention, that if these features are missing, chunks of your core audience will get bored.

Maybe a game missing these would have done well in 2000 and not today. Maybe we need games with "all of the above" or maybe to make a game unique and different, you can't remove archetypical MMO game mechanics unless you've absolutely provided a better one that caters to the playstyle you are omitting.

For instance, another MMO I played recently didn't have "battleground" style PvP, but the open-world pvp was pretty isolated and semi-rapidly repeatable (like UO's) and I got the same type of satisfaction.

Rada Torment and Brass Knuckles like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.