Enlightenment, Air's Embrace and Strength of Earth should be in Focus, Subterfuge and Tactics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aetrion, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you including me in your unsubstantiated accusation as attacking your character ?
    If so, please point to a post where I did so..........;)

P.S. If you are going to accuse someone of attacking your character, then at least do them (and us) the courtesy of providing the links to the relevant posts.

I'm not saying that no one has, but I didn't notice it in this thread..........

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

What are you even arguing for here?

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Just that not every mage is sun spec or every archer is air spec.

Jaesun, Adam Crow and FrostII like this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Didn't mean to attack your character if that is directed towards me and I appreciate your thoughts, I just don't agree with the timing of this. I have nothing against you personally yet you seem to take my disagreement very personal. I really hope there are no hard feelings and I hope you continue to voice your ideas and opinions!

As you should, and I will continue to voice mine as well. I find the combat very satisfying and there are tons of fun builds. Like mac said the so called cookie cutter builds you're basing your argument on aren't as clear as you think. Ive been a fire/sun mage for a long time now and I love it. Ive tried moon spec, life spec, death spec, air with ranged, melee builds you name it. For me personally i enjoy fire/sun. But i had fun with many of the different setups and i really don't think the combat system is setup up so badly like you are perceiving it. May i ask how many of these different builds you have tried? And have you pvped much? These are valid questions. I feel the change you are advocating would make pvp even worse for balance issues.

FrostII likes this.
  5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The exception doesn't disprove the rule. I don't use ankhs for healing, but that doesn't mean that ankhs don't give you the best healing, it just means I hate cheesy artifacts.

There is a very clear and simple rationale behind what I'm suggesting:

1. Maximizing the amount of viable combinations of skill trees makes character building more open and enjoyable.
    2. In order to do that they need to be balanced against each other.
    3. When some combinations are more powerful together than the sum of their parts this is an irreconcilable balance problem, since you can't buff other trees to keep pace without making them too powerful when that combination isn't in play.
    4. This problem can be avoided by moving all skills that buff other skill trees to universal trees that are specifically designed to be part of every build.

This is a simple matter of creating a solid foundation to balance skill trees on. Yea, it kind of works the way it is, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be better to go forward with a more solid foundation that doesn't have to constantly try to work around an inherent balance problem that could very easily be eliminated.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You make it sound as if there are only a couple non sun spec mages yet there are many. You make it sound like there is only a couple non air spec archers yet there are many.

Adam Crow and Barugon like this.
  7. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

Great idea. That would allow non-mage specialties to have resistances, but still have some basic buffs that would last longer than ten minutes.

Aetrion likes this.
  8. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Yup, that's another positive side effect of this.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm changing my mind @Aetrion. Because it works for the most experiened, and has made the game super easy for them (in their own words), we should never change anything again. No more balance passes, new skills, or tweaks! This is solid and now an award winning combat system! No more brainstorming allowed.

It's won awards, right?

Aetrion likes this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I think it would make it WAY easier and less diverse if the str buff was in the tactics tree. Pretty much every weapon user would be tactics and their weapon spec. Not too much different then now as tactic spec is pretty much already a given for a physical build. This just seems to make the already awesome tactics spec tree even more awesome. I'm not against the idea other then this part, subterfuge and focus spec is hardly chosen and moving those stat buffs to them would give them more value. Just giving the tactic tree the str buff just seems unbalancing.

Adam Crow and Barugon like this.
  11. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Same amount of awards as your sarcasm

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  12. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

There are potions for all three buffs. May it is better to improve them. (Lasts for up to an hour, Large/Major versions of them that adds more then 15 str/dex/int. , .....)

Xee and Violette Dyonisys like this.
  13. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

I would not want to see the changes the OP is mentioning. well it does have some logic to it, Id say that change is too late and would break to many builds at this time. it would be better to look at other ways to boost and improve based on existing, and or expand the skills out further. just my vote :)

Dhanas and Adam Crow like this.
  14. Sway

Sway Avatar

no. I simply disagree.

15. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Could be a good idea, depending on details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.