Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

workaround for memory exhausted and computer "freeze"

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Gussak, Oct 15, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gussak

Gussak Avatar

Specs:
    - 6GB RAM
    - 9GB Swap: 6GB very fast SSD LVM with 2 Stripes Swap + 3GB SSD non stripe Swap (linux)

SotA (after playing many hours and visiting many locations) ate the whole RAM and Swap, I would have to wait about 15 to 20min to the system self recover from pseudo frozen state (was just uber slow actually, unusable tho), but it would remain almost unusable very slowed.

First I tried cgroups (linux) memory limiting SotA to 2GB, but that made loading times too slow (may be 4GB would work?).

So instead I upped the "SSD LVM with 2 Stripes Swap" from 6GB to 16GB, and it solved.
    Good loading times and no "freezings".

I guess on windows, if ppl can increase their Swap memory file, a huge lot like 10GB, it may work too. Just config that file to a fast media like a (one or more) SSD(s) preferably with LVM stripes (or something equivalent).

Ps.: @kaeshiva, as I cant reply here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...omplete-pc-freeze-lockup.155384/#post-1235751

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

What video card are you using?

3. Gussak

Gussak Avatar

geforce gt 710 (has 1GB dram)
    but I run the graphics in the fastest (minimum) settings
    and the game still looks great!

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Jaesun, it's not the gpu. as bad as the memory usage can get on the windows version, the linux version is MUCH worse. i can cross 7gb just loading as far as the resume button.

it's good that swap works for the OP, but the faq says min 8, recommend 12, and that's low. when i had 16 i used to run a cron job to check it and warn me when it got past 13 so i could restart it gracefully.

Gussak and Jaesun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.