Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Black Arrow/Scarlet's Book Quest

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Bedawyn, Oct 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

10/10/2019 17:10
    Title: Black Arrow/Scarlet's Book Quest
    Reproduction Rate: 1/1
    Blocker? Yes, for the Scarlet's Book Quest
    Details:

I recently completed -- or thought I had -- the Black Arrow quest for one of my characters. Since I've done it with several different characters and there are no real rewards for completing it, memory alone is not going to help me keep track of whether it's done or not. So I usually complete it all in one sitting, so that there's no ambiguity -- it's either done or not. However, I do sometimes leave the "inform Simone and Tanya afterwards" tasks for another day.

Today, I logged in and found the first task of the quest sitting at the top of my task list, and in my journal. The related NPCs -- Samuel Redstone, Tanya, and Rolf -- all have nameplates and dimmed keywords showing that I've already spoken to them, and I already have the Notice of Recall in my inventory. (Note that this is one of those annoying "Quest Items" that is never turned in anywhere and stays in your inventory forever -- please fix that!) This would indicate that I HAVE already completed the quest; it SHOULD either be finished completely or on the "inform the moms" stage. The generic "Investigate" task should be gone, and my other characters have never had a problem with the task remaining in the list after completion.

Both Tanya and Simone are still giving me the "Have you found anything yet?" responses, and Simone won't let me start the Scarlet's book quest. Rolf and Cugel both give responses as if I were early in the quest with no knowledge of the killer (if that were true, I wouldn't have the recall notice and Rolf's keywords wouldn't be dimmed). No clue what to do from here so I can pick up Simone's second quest.

Steps to Reproduce: ??

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz (4) System RAM: 8089
    GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 GPU RAM: 2150
    SotA.Win.64.1049.Date.10.08.19
    Area: Ardoris
    Area Display Name: Ardoris
    Loc: (-80.8, 54.4, -351.0)
    Debug: QXJkb3Jpc3x8KC04MC44LCA1NC40MDQsIC0zNTEuMDE4KXwoMCwgMC4xNTIsIDAsIDAuOTg4KXw3MzcuOTIxOHw3LjM5MjY4fDEuMjU=

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

Thanks for the report! Issue #65896

It sounds like you haven't completed the black arrow quest, and probably picked up it up a long while ago--meaning you don't have the extra task descriptions and compass markers that I added a couple of months ago. But speaking of compass markers, have you tried following them without regard for the tasks that are active on your list? I try to keep grandfathered players in mind when I update compass markers and it's possible your compass markers can help you get back on the right track.

3. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

No, this particular character online only picked the quest up maybe a week or two before I posted that. I don't remember noticing any compass markers -- I HATE the compass markers overall and do my best to avoid looking at them, since they're often full of spoilers or else immersion-breaking -- but I'll check them when I get in-game. The problem right now is that I've already spoken with all the relevant NPCs, and none of them are giving me anything I can do. And since I know what order the quest is supposed to go in, I wouldn't have spoken to Rolf until I was ready to finish it.

[Mind you, while I'm grouching about compass markers in general, this particular quest is a great example of how compass markers SHOULD be used. You've got specific locations in a complex-to-navigate city, and the locations are ones that you've probably already passed or that the latest task-giver or nearest wandering guard could give you directions to, so having compass markers help you find that location is great. It's the "look here for?" (as if I didn't have a brain to decide for myself where to search) or the ones that give away clues in the compass text itself that make me pull my hair out. ]

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Hmmmm. Just a possibility that you might have said the keywords but if you didnt read that one note yet when you accuse rolf of it he does not admit to it. try going into the tower again and getting that note and then talk to rolf again with a few keywords then accuse.

Bedawyn likes this.
  5. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

I'm doing a super-quick review of some of that quest's data and see that the "An Official Notice of Recall" item can be destroyed by players who want to dispose of it. Have you tried doing that? If you've tried to destroy it but can't, then that's a bug. (You can go back and collect a new one at any time without restriction, if that matters). Alternately, if you own a lot, you'll be able to put this "no trade" item on your lot as a decoration.

Thanks! I noticed there weren't any compass markers (or maybe just one?) when I had to fix something else with the quest a few months ago, so gave the whole thing a mini-overhaul which included compass markers. I'm a big fan of the multiple "Search here for <something>?" compass markers, and 99% of the time if you see those in a quest it's going to be one I made or updated. It's important to hint where a player has to go but I hated pointing people directly to secret or hidden items, so I started adding those "Search here" markers.

Jaesun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.