Recap From SotaCon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

As I understand it, the entire workforce was technically outsourced through a third party, via a company that actually served as the teams employer. As a former CEO I have met with and been pitched by these types of firms, and they simply never made financial sense for my business model. The typical roll up was 22-30% to salaries, so a HUGE SG&A hit to a company where salaries are such a high % of operational costs.

Now they will be employed by Catnip, roughly a potential $250K reduction for every $1M previously hitting the income statement as salaries.

Also, it was clearly stated that Lord British has taken no compensation in a year or more. So when evaluating who is in and out, please consider this factor; folks that likely have an ownership stake in the outcome, may not be earning a salary, but may be significantly vested in the outcome due to the potential growth of their equity.

2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

This was asked, and the answer they gave was "very little." They also said they've, effectively, been running under these changes internally since February. The biggest change will be Chris should have more time to deal with game development, because he's not spending so much on the paperwork for this change.

3. slandrew

slandrew Avatar

Interesting...I had not heard that before. Admittedly I have never had a reddit account though, so I don't have much exposure.

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I'm not a lawyer, but why couldn't RG just restructure Port or change salary workers to contractors to save the money rather then sell their only IP?

5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Whaaaaa? YOU LIE.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

People who hate the game moderate both the Shroud subreddits, so the subs have become rather insular, boring poop flinging troll cave circle jerks.

The mod on the main sub actually cheated a Shroud player out of $100 recently, publicly in the subreddit.

They coordinate their attacks on articles about Shroud out on the internet, and keep berating people until they are the only ones posting.

Then they post in the subreddit "We killed Portalarium!" (or maybe it was "We killed Shroud!") when the game was moved to Catnip.

They were literally linking to @Chris Facebook page and talking about it the other day.

They doxxed me, and whenever they get bored (it's a circle jerk now, so it's a boring place, they have to dredge up drama from outside) you can expect a post about me there.

Yes, there are bad people out there, and a handful of them are posting in those two subreddits.

Actually a lot of reddit is pretty good, most subreddits have moderation that isn't about silencing people who disagree with you.

7. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

I am not really certain how to explain it further. It makes sense to me.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  8. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

As my great great great grandmother once told me, "never believe everything you read on the internet"

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's not even the point. A portion of the time they are posting the truth. But they might be blowing it up to be a super drama, or off topic beating MOP over the head with it every post so MOP gets tired of the negativity (not just Port obfuscating). Or beating other commentators to death so they can dominate all online discussion of the game.

Which then makes every online place about the game seem like it's 100% bad, while really it is just an effective, coordinated censorship effort. Good people USED to post in those spots, and eventually every one of them said "I can't take the constant attacks, I'm done posting here." So now they own them all.

Which obviously drives away people that might have tried the game and liked it.

Of course the subreddits they 100% own because the mods only moderate people who like the game. You can post someones real name, call the devs all sorts of names, abuse people that don't even post there (proof: just check todays posts on RAW,) but as long as you're posting hate you won't get moderated.

Prison Bound and Sulaene Moon like this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

The subreddits are full of haters, but none of them started on reddit, they all started here. Very few games have as virulent of a set of detractors as SOTA, you don't get that unless you burn folks real hard, probably for a lot of money and then booting them when you're done with them.

11. amarious

amarious Avatar

Now if we could taxidermy people, THAT would be cool.

12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That doesn't excuse doxxing, stalking, body shaming, sex preference shaming, name calling, etc. All stuff against their own rules, ironically.

Fortunately they've made the place so toxic it has become an irrelevant echo chamber. Unfortunately they use it to launch brigades on every single news item about Shroud, positive or negative, making it seem like the entire world hates then game, rather than 10 people.

13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

There are far more than the 10 on reddit preaching the bad news, as it were, heck I'm not on the subreddits and I'll dissuade anyone from signing up if the topic comes up.

And if you think there is ever positive news about SOTA, well maybe this place is as much of an echo chamber as RAW.

14. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I’m not familiar with Reddit it or other social networking sites, but if what you say is true then it might be good not to mention it at all. Just your above posts alone almost drives me to check out and read for myself what others write about the game and people who play it. But I don’t like to play into reading fake news stories or troll posts.

When I found this game I found it on Steam, not any other site and the reviews there were mixed at the time. I just googled SotA and there really isn’t much news about the game except player videos that surface it also doesn’t look like there is positive or negative views one way or the other. This is definitely going off topic of the OP.

slandrew likes this.
  15. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Astirian, Tiina Onir, Jaesun and 6 others like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Rentier likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Looks like an older version of my 4th grade after school computer science class, where instead of programming BASIC we distributed cracked copies of Ultima IV and spent the hours after school playing that and other games of the time (like Alien) on Apple IIe's.

Which is to say, my kind of folks. Revenge of the Nerds ! Hope you snuck some silver serpent venom into flasks like what happened at HobLoth too, although this looks a bit tamer.

18. slandrew

slandrew Avatar

Yeah, that's my bad - I directed people to PMs. Sorry.

19. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

What do you think happened to Berek :eek::eek: ;);)

amarious and Astirian like this.
  20. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

And don't forget, it was rewarding, with the whole trade pack system. Yes, I was a "potato" in Archeage. ;)

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.