MassivelyOP Postcast and SOTA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oplek

oplek Avatar

2. Rekih

Rekih Avatar

"A weekly discussion of MMORPG adventures, news, and opinions by industry vets Bree and Justin."

Industry vets.. lol

It's funny how easy is to say this by everyone these days in this industry.

Jaesun and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

4. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Countdown has begun as to when this post will be deleted.

Evadrepus and arcdevil like this.
  5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

She sounds very upset ...

People need to get past stuff like ..why isnt Richard ingame..when was he last online or where is my book ... if theres one thing this forum has tons it is drama .... just when you think things calmed down a bit posts start popping up and i dont mean posts that offer suggestions on how to improve the game ..but posts that go like ...its gonna fail ..its dead ...

Some forum players try so hard to create a doomsday image .... just like the people in the podcast posted.

6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm not so sure it's this exactly. Maybe with some, but not all.

Speaking only for myself, the podcast spoke to many of my issues with the game currently. However, I am excited for Chris and hope his hard work and stewardship can fix the game for the better moving forward.

7. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Thats not really true though is it ? They already stated in the podcast that everytime they write something about shroud people start showing up complaining ..and we all know who googles news about shroud everyday ..so they dont miss the opportunity to cause some damage .... so when all your info comes from the reddit hoard because port wont answer your question ...youre bias as a reporter is gone ...

Witcheypoo, Mac2, Astirian and 2 others like this.
  8. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

As I still play Sota and want all the best for the game, there is one thing that makes me mad.
    There is silence about the main question for almost all players of Sota: what steps developers make to increase population in Sota.

9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

10. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Waiting for answers on that front also ...hope Chris will shed some light on the matter when he makes his announced forum post.

Brass Knuckles and Spinok like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

She was talking about the commentors on their site. Reddit uses it as a platform to amplify the mini scandals she's talking about.

And since ONLY the redditors show up to comment, yeah it paints a pretty ugly picture and makes every story, even the good ones, a downer. Same handful up people showing up to post "Where's my book" when the post is about Pumpkinhead, or something.

My takeaways:

1) Catnip needs to air all the dirty laundry so reddit trolls don't have any more ammo, just pull off the band aids.

2) People who like Shroud need to represent on MOP. It's pretty sad when the only posts are coordinated attacks from reddit.

3) MOP WANTS Shroud to succeed, as do most people. They are right, no one is doing the Evil Laugh that Shroud is having trouble.

(Except reddit, they literally celebrated saying "We killed Portalarium" when the news broke. Yes, they ARE like that, they WANT the game to die, and we just let them own the internet.)

12. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Dealing With Trolls
    If a troll tries to provoke you, just ignore them. They’re not worth your time or emotional distress. Try not to take anything personally and remind yourself that their bad behavior does not change who you are.

Remember that a person who seems like a troll is actually the one suffering in some way and is trying to distract themselves and make themselves feel better by taking it out on you. If you can, try to have a good laugh and think about how sad it is that people actually feel the need to insult complete strangers on the internet.

If you're feeling strong enough, you might even consider responding to them with kindness by complimenting something about them (such as their profile picture, their username, etc). This is the last thing they'll expect from you, and while you'll have to risk being trolled again, there's always a chance that your unexpected kindness could move them in a way that changes their behavior for the better.

...That last line, i used it as a weapon often against troll. Compliment them, make em realise they are the only one going crazy there, continue being nice and being his friend, he gonna stop by himself. But some people are jerks to a point that nothing is gonna work. Its always better to not feed the troll, or at least recognize what level troll you are fighting with. The most depressed they will be, the least chance you gonna have. You need alot of self control for this. And posting stuff about trolls on this forum, is gonna also be a weapon for them on reddit. Keep your secrets private, all the time, cause they do.

Thats another thing you can do, try to know their secrets. If they are hiding under another name in another server, they clearly have something to hide. T alk with them until you know, and be the troll. ;)

13. Copperhead2

Copperhead2 Avatar

It isn't dirty laundry, its called good communication. I sent the law firm an email one week ago about the Seedvest info and what is being done, the response I got from the firm was; they couldn't find my husbands name and they can only talk to Seedvest to verify. This was even after we informed them we could provide the certificate of shares... A week later now, nothing from the law firm or CN about what the Seedvesters should expect. @Chris , you should have some info on this and this would have been resolved prior to the sale of all assets from Port and telling the community you can't really say anything I believe there is no legal argument as why you can not, as CN is not publicly traded. Are the Series B Preferred Stock DOA, it should be since an LLC can not issue stock, so what the game plan??

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  14. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I dont think anyone here is called chris, if its a question for him why dont you ask him in private?

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  15. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

All I have to say is that when everybody else is crazy and you're the sane one perhaps it's time to rethink a few things.

Also like another had said, if you feel that passionately about supporting the game, go do it. Now. Because all you're doing with non activity and keeping your mouth shut is letting other people talk for you.

People that don't know anything about the game will only listen to what other people have to say on other sites that are guides for games like this. Letting stuff go unanswered or unchallenged just lets them think that is the way it is.

They're not going to come here for clarification.

Ps. Until I see more people besides myself and another handful of people that are doing that, I'm not going to put myself out there anymore. Do it yourselves.

On that note I'm also tired of being the only one that post screenshots and videos and information about this game on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram. That activity is extremely valuable for getting the word out about the game in a positive way. But until I see people do it along with me, I'm not doing it anymore either.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Yep.

I'm done with it too until others start showing up. It's sad that a handful of people can dominate the conversation, it says something bad about the Courage of the Shroud community that they just let the game get **** all over without saying anything about it.

And there is plenty that can be said in favor of the game, despite its flaws. But all I hear is crickets.

17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Honestly, there is so much drama generated both here and on reddit by people that want to talk sota 24/7 that alot of us got disgusted by it and left. And it is refreshing that its not like this in universe chat in game, thankfully its alot better.

This is just a game. Its supposed to be a fun escape from the humdrum of every day life and when it becomes another source of anxiety and about fighting people who want to fight each other, mostly over really dumb **** like opinions on a game, honestly whats the point.

I know some of you mean well but I think you should chillax and take a break from both the forums and the game for a bit and come back refreshed and positive later on.

The last thing that the game needs are ambassadors that post giant I quit posts that reverberate around the sota community, then threaten to sell their towns and then change their mind all in the space of a few months trying to “bring more people” into a game thats in its late stages and could only possibly grow by positive word of mouth organically, not by battling trolls online, not by marketing, none of that is appropriate at this stage. The game is not ever gonna be the next UO or WoW, and possibly wont be anything other than what it is now.

Should just enjoy it for what it is.

18. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Going to agree with Lord Trady here - just enjoy the game for what it is. Doing the mental gymnastics to try and get “more players or the mainstream” is folly at this point. Trust me, don’t become a bitter old sod like me and just enjoy. But don’t try to “save or reinvent” the game. Not happening.

Cyin and arcdevil like this.
  19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Sota has a lot to offer - those of us who have stuck around this long know it.
    The problem is a lot of people never even get to the point where they get to the good stuff, because there's a lot of obstacles you have to kind of grit your teeth through to get there.
    Those of us who were around in the pre-persistence days did a lot of teethgrinding, but it was early access, it was alpha, so it was all understandable.
    The game has come a very long way, and has a great breadth of systems that many other games do not.
    The problem is that nothing ever seems to get finished, broken things don't seem to get fixed, and the story and lore, however deep and rich they may be, are obscured by the clunky, often non-functional dialogue system, non-functional journal system, unfit-for-purpose recipe book, etc. We don't need new features, we need to streamline the features we've got, and stop punching players in the face: (Want to be a crafter? Go grind the mines for a month first and grind up a million gold to pay for all the recipes you'll need. No, you can't level crafting by crafting. No, crafting doesn't pay for itself, you'll need to fight things to fund it. ) You need to be able to make meaningful progress in a play session. You need to be able to set, and achieve, goals. The fundamental core issue with the game from my perspective is the over reliance on randomness, in absolutely every system. Some days I don't log on because I just know, when staring at login screen, that even if I play for hours any progress I make is just a drop in the bucket. Or I know I have to do the chore of staring at refining bars for several hours so that the RNG can then screw me trying to craft. Or that I'll kill stuff and constantly be disappointed by the loot and wonder what's the point. These sorts of systems worked fine 20 years ago when gamers only had a couple choices on what to play but with hundreds of games out there competing for players' attention you can't just keep punching people in the face and expect them to stick around. Players will invest time, players will grind, for as long as they're seeing a return on their efforts. Once they aren't, well....

All that said, I have spent more hours here than any other game in a decade. And even though there's a lot of stuff that's broken, or half formed, or that I don't agree with, I still think this game is a diamond in the rough. I'm hoping that the change in management/ownership/whatever will bring in a change in priorities. I don't think the game is beyond saving, or even beyond appealing to a wider market. But we need to change this mindset of playing this game is like playing the lotto - the winners think its great, everyone else think it sucks. Stop with the random - let players work toward goals. Let crafting stand on its own, for funding itself, acquiring its recipes, etc. Let PvP stand on its own, create meaningful pvp zones with pvp objectives that award on-par experience to pve grinding. In my recent wanderings to other games, some with higher budgets, some with lower budgets than this one, I have to think that the main reason for success is that they let players play how they want to play. Want to lvl up only doing Pvp? There's a way. Want to lvl up just being an artisan? Can do that too. Want to just be a market/trader? Covered. Sota has all the systems in place to do the same but just stubbornly refuses to take the last steps.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Don't tell me to relax or what to say. Take a break? Dude, I just got back. Hello.

WHY IS EVERYONE OBSESSED WITH REDDIT? It's not Reddit I'm talking about. This thread isn't even about Reddit.

It's PC Gamer, MMORPG.com, Massively, Steam etc. Stop making excuses and answer curious people's questions. Share why you love the game. If someone says something blatantly untrue, answer it with facts. If they're mean, ignore them. The higher ground ALWAYS wins on forums.

People will sit for hours on end decorating a house so I think most of us have a few minutes to posts screenshots. Post your shots on the release galleries here AND social media. Hint: social media will matter more in the long run. No one is gonna attack you for that ffs.

I'm sick of the whining on this forum. If you don't like the public image the game has, go change it. Yes, it's your responsibility. You talk about word of mouth? THERE IS NONE. It starts with YOU.

Here's how to start:

Shroud Facebook Group to post on and contribute to: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shroud/

Shroud's Twitter hashtag is #ShroudofAvatar. It's so little used it's literally got moss on it. Go post something there using it. https://twitter.com/search?q=shroudofavatar&src=typed_query Post your image or video and slap the hashtags #ShroudofAvatar and #MMORPG on that sweet post. Done.

Play SoTA on Steam and post your screenshots on Steam. Contribute to the SoTA forums on Steam. There are a LOT of players there asking questions that no one is answering. @Vladamir Begemot and @Xee and a few others just cannot do it all. Literally the ONLY exposure this game gets directly to other players is on Steam right now. IT IS HUGE and people here ignore it and proudly proclaim "I use the launcher." Well, congrats, but you're not helping get the game get out there to the millions of Steam users by doing so. Also, the launcher kinda sucks (sorry).

It's not hard and it will do wonders for visibility and community. Social Media sways entire elections and makes people superstars. I think it might help get the word out on our game. Just maybe.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.