Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ulfheim - One one Ulfheim Dragon Tooth per party?

Discussion in 'Release 70 Feedback' started by Smegatron, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smegatron

Smegatron Bug Hunter

@Sannio - First I want to say that the new Ulfheim is BEAUTIFUL. I am really enjoying it, solo or in a party.

Last night we got a group together to get all the way to the dragon. We were in the cathedral/castle building, fighting waves of barbarians when BOOM the wall collapsed and the dragon was revealed. SO COOL!

Anyway, we managed to subdue the barbarians and defeat the dragon. Then it happened.

We rolled on skinning the dragon. The winner skinned it and got the Ulfheim Dragon Tooth. And then it disappeared. No teeth for the rest of us. This is SUPER DISAPPOINTING. The rest of us got 107 gold. Earlier in the day I killed one Marksman in a Tier 4 Siege and got about the same amount.

This feels like yet another epic SOTA boss that has disappointing loot. It does not feel worth it to come back again for so little gain. Put something at the end that has some decent value, with a chance at getting something of great value.

Suggestion: Can you put the teeth in a chest that appears after the dragon dies, and everyone can loot it? That would be rewarding for all, and would allow all party members to benefit from the kill.

Let us know!

-Smeg

2. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

As luck would have it, a few days ago I added a chance for the high chief to also drop a dragon tooth. (I guess he keeps his buddy's baby teeth in his pocket.)

3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What are these teeth good for?

4. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Daily quest from the NPC at the entrance to the scene. I got 701 gold and 20k exp I believe when I did it last.

Jaesun likes this.
  5. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Thats it?

Aldo likes this.
  6. Smegatron

Smegatron Bug Hunter

Thanks, for sharing, @Sannio... Some additional thoughts...

I don't think you are understanding my point. Another "chance" means maybe 2 of 8 players get loot. I am suggesting you reward the entire party. Or put something at the end that is more that 107 gold.

701 gold and 20k XP? That seems pretty low for the effort needed. To me it seems far less than the "substantial reward" promised by the quest giver. Tier 4 Sieges reward better than that. And this is T-10+.

I really feel that SOTA needs to re-evaluate its rewarding system. We keep getting new uber-mega-hard bosses but little XP or gold rewards. And these encounters burn out in a few weeks. Put some cheese at the end of the maze that keeps players coming back. After the Deep Ravenswood update, then Tartarus, then Despair, then the Ulfheim remake where are all the public groups going? Back to Upper Tiers. Why? Because there is a big XP reward to be had. Please add in things to help these awesome new areas compete with UT!

Thanks!

-Smeg

Dhanas likes this.
  7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Something to also consider, is the xp you are getting from the creatures in the area, while you do the dragon tooth quest.

8. Smegatron

Smegatron Bug Hunter

The XP and loot off the mobs was average. Same as other, lower tiers. Again, no incentive to attempt a higher tier zone.

9. Sannio

"Chance" probably wasn't the best choice of word. What'll happen is this: If you skin the dragon, there's a 100% chance you get the dragon tooth unless you already have one. If you loot the high chief, there's also a 100% chance you get the dragon tooth unless you already have one. (You can only have one tooth at a time.)

10. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

@Sannio I think this is an element of a large discussion players have been having that I've seen about having to kill a 'quest' creature multiple times for every person who needs the drop to get it.

I believe the player expectation/desire is that if you're in a party with 5 people and kill say Xavara the Fire Elemental - it should drop 5 quest items - but only the people who don't already have one could get one - instead of having to wait for respawns or force respawns for every person who needs it.

In this case though, since it's a boss, it's probably intended to require killing once per party member.

Jaesun likes this.
  11. Sannio

In some cases, that would be a good plan. Especially if all the effort to get to that "boss" was solo-able, or at least a relatively quick experience. But since neither is true for Ulfheim (at least for the moment), I had a different idea.

This was mostly in my head while developing Ulfheim, but if I had to say it out loud I would say this: my goal for Ulfehim's quest was to entice each player to reach and defeat the final "boss wave." A bonus reward would be given to players who achieved that goal, once per day. The proof of accomplishing that goal would be the dragon tooth. I forgot that a dragon needs to be skinned to be looted, which meant only one person gets that tooth-as-proof ... and that "breaks" the enticement concept for me. I want players to be allowed to repeat that final battle multiple times in a day but they should never feel obligated to do so. I prefer that everyone who finishes that final battle gets the tooth-as-proof so that the choice of how they spend their next big chunk of time is up to them, not some random number generator. :)

Girlsname and Echondas like this.
  12. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

To put this in a better context for you @Sannio :

A group of 4 people enter Ulfheim together. Each of the 4 people take the dragon tooth quest. And then the group of 4 people proceed through the battles to the final wave.

The group of 4 people defeat the dragon and the chief. 2 people in the group get the dragon tooth, if they don’t already have one. The other 2 people have to wait and kill the final wave battle again to get 2 more teeth for the other 2 people.

As you can see, the final wave battle doesn’t give enough items to complete the quest with a group of more than 2.

A Group of 6 people has to do the final wave 3 times to get 6 teeth for a party of 6.

Dhanas and Smegatron like this.
  13. Smegatron

Smegatron Bug Hunter

Bingo.

Thus my suggestion to put the teeth in a chest that appears after the dragon dies, and everyone can loot it (assuming they do not already have one). Better yet, make it a "dragon skull" container so that removing the tooth makes sense and is very cool!

Violette Dyonisys likes this.
  14. Smegatron

Smegatron Bug Hunter

Also, the High Chief did not drop a tooth for us. He's the guy in the last wave before the dragon breaks through, right? Maybe that change is not yet deployed?

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I believe he mentioned that will be in a later patch.

16. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I believe how the dragon tooth drop should work to accommodate everyone is that the dragon after skinning it, drops 8 teeth. The maximum number of people in a party is 8, so this would work for any size party. Also you can only have 1 tooth on you at a time so you can’t farm/exploit them.

If 8 dropped at a time, a party could then take turns and each grab a tooth.

It is entirely possible, the loot drop system currently doesn’t allow multiple quest items to drop?

17. Sannio

That update isn't in yet. Next release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.