1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Catnip Games Acquires Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waldo Ptolomy

Waldo Ptolomy Avatar

I saw Chris personally deliver boxes to at least one person at SOTACON, and a few days before he had Richard sign more of the sheets to use for some boxes that were not yet complete. I have also seen Chris ship a ton of boxes on stream. Sadly we live in a world of Porch pirates grabbing packages off our porch and delivery people dropping stuff at the wrong house. I have no idea what has contributed to your not receiving your package. It may have been lost in the shuffle, but I would suggest verifying your address and again asking Chris about your missing boxes. I received mine a long time ago.
    Regards Waldo Ptolomy

2. Lained

Lained Avatar

Chris mentioned in a recent stream that he's been through the shipping thread and noted that many that have not received their boxes have actually had them shipped so they've been lost somewhere on route. He's had to retrieve some boxes from Amazon and add the required pledge rewards including the signed ones mentioned above.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  3. dayero

dayero Avatar

I am not saying it does not happen ever, but attributing any significant number of lost packages to either phenomenom is kinda ridiculous, at least where I live. Of course I wouldn't rule it out for the US. It is a third world country after all.

StarLord, Net and Bedawyn like this.
  4. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I just went to count out of curiosity, and i onyl counted on the shipping updates thread and here but it seems like 6 people or so saying they didnt get thier boxes yet, and soem of those were before this last round was shipped so hopefully they got thiers.

One case seems to be a person who frequently is having to move like multiple times a year which seems like it would be likely it was sent to the wrong place unfortunately.

5. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, as a matter of fact MOST people (I assume >99,9%) received their boxes.

But there are a few people still waiting...
    And, unfortunately a few of them had bad luck, because they moved and the address changed. Such things happen.

I received my box with the first delivery. May be I was lucky, because they came from france and I live in Germany? I don't know.

Anyway: The last people are still waiting. And as we know, Chris himself had to wait for a few things (signed maps from Richard).
    So I assume, the last <1% of missing boxes should arrive until Christmas :)

Please, nobody should think, those people just would always complain.
    They have shown the greatest patience of us all.
    I hope that somehow this will be honored;)

From people I know, there are about 30 still waiting.
    I will be happy to hear, they received their boxes next time :)

Arkah EMPstrike, bdonham and Rinaldi like this.
  6. Fungus44

Fungus44 Avatar

Good luck with everything @Chris, running a business solo is stressful but damn good fun as I know myself

Oh and can I have my hard copy now please, that way I can stop my self imposed ban of playing SotA re log in and support the game again!

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also to note his in-game name is Atos. So send a friend request so you will see when he is online.

Also since you haven't played in a while I would be happy to help with game questions anytime. I'm Majoria in game.

vulcanjedi likes this.
  8. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

9. megadigo

megadigo Avatar

It's just me or i suspect that all our money gone with the sell... Ohh and by the way anyone interesting to
    Acquires My Operating Assets too?

10. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

That isn't what happened. Essentially, it was a legal maneuver to move the game from a Corporation to an LLC to reduce the substantial amount of overhead required to comply with the laws surrounding reporting for Corporations that was unnecessarily costing them thousands to tens of thousands each year. This is a good thing because it allows them to redirect those funds to game development.

gtesser, Gravidy, K1000 and 5 others like this.
  11. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

A bit more than that - Chris is the only managing member of Catnip Games, so Richard and Starr no longer have any ownership/director status. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but when two key people give up their official stake in the game, this all happened for a bit more than just "overhead" reasons. Otherwise, they both would have just moved their status over to the new entity too.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Pure speculation........

13. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

You can, of course, look at public info and see Chris is the only member of the new company. And, of course, just watch Chris as he struggles to say very specific things about their roles recommended to him by counsel. Nothing has changed, except my counsel tell me to state only that Richard and Starr are still involved, specifically no words other than involved. Because nothing has changed, of course.

14. Oakenhammer

Oakenhammer Avatar

Richard and Starr still have an ownership stake in Portalarium, which still exists as an entity. There is some sort of contracted relationship to Catnip Games, so Starr and LB still have a vested interest in the success of the game and the company. The same goes for the Seed Invest investors. Without actually seeing the contracts, I can only speculate about the nature of the relationship between Portalarium and Catnip, but it is probably something like Portalarium is licensing Catnip to develop and operate the game.

Given that the team heavily consulted with legal experts, this was probably the only way for the transition to occur given that simply moving the assets from one company to another can be construed suspiciously. Additionally, it is best for two entities involved in a transaction like this be viewed as completely separate, so having different owners with separate assets is a good way to go. Just as a reminder, this is all speculation on my part based on my experience owning and operating multiple businesses in Texas and having to comply with Texas business laws. In the end, any legal questions should really be directed to that email address that we were provided in the announcement.

Widsith [MGT], CICI, Gravidy and 3 others like this.
  15. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

If all this were the case portalarium wouldn't have relinquished its trademarks. It has. Port's completely handed over the game to catnip and LB and Starr no longer have any official capacity in the game. Chris had been advised not to state they still work in the game.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ultimately, the spin that you all are trying to put on it matters not.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  17. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

I personally plan to give @Chris the benefit of the doubt. Since he is a good man and we have no other option, I elect to back the good in all. Especially when I have seen @Chris do the right thing when others did not. I may be wrong (my wife has a list of when I am wrong, by date, alphabetically and by order of magnitude if anyone wants it) but I believe in the good in people. Onward and upward for us all.

18. Kirthag

Kirthag Avatar

Although operating in the state, Portalarium's incorporation was discontinued in Texas and changed to Delaware in 2012. A move which kinda made me raise a brow. I saw that as a money-saving move.

Catnip Games, LLC was registered in January of 2019 in Texas.

All public knowledge and searchable: https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/search.do

So, if the move is about reporting and saving - shouldn't CG have been formed in Delaware? Even businesses as far away as Hawaii register in Delaware for the credits and breaks in taxes. Granted, an LLC doesn't have "as much" to do as a full Corporation - but the sole proprietorship thing will be putting stress on Chris I'm sure. Still, curious he didn't register in Delaware, or even Nevada (both states being tax and report friendly for businesses).

19. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

a LLC is not a sole-proprietorship - it’s a friendly way to have the business and its assets to take any financial pain away from personal financial pain in a sole-proprietor business.

also, a full C corporation from Delaware usually has to have a state agent (which would be Texas) to legally do business and apply the C corporation privilege to the state business they conduct - like having a physical presence, etc

20. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Stryker Sparhawk a "full C corporation" is not a thing. A corporation, like and LLC, is a separate tax paying entity. A 'C' Corporation, as you describe, does not exist; all corporations are corporations. A corporation may elect to be and S or C, with the IRS, which determines its taxation. A C or S election is a federal tax election; it is not controlling of the nature of the corporation, save for how it is taxed at the federal level. C corporations are taxed; S corporations are 'pass through' entities which pay not federal income tax.

Lesni and Stryker Sparhawk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.