Full Plate vs Full Chainmail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

What's the main benefit of using full plate armour? Assuming you do not use spells like @Sara Dreygon.

They seem similar. I seem to be able to take more punishment in chain though. Not sure why.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Platemail should have the highest armor out of all the available armors, but with the most weight and fizzle chance. If you're seeing a difference in protection it might be a difference in quality between the plate and chain you're using. That said, I know a ton of people ingame who sidestep the system by wearing a chainmail chest together with cloth or leather for everything else so they can use the heavy armor tree while keeping their fizzle chance low.

Cordelayne and Nick like this.
  3. Nick

Nick Avatar

While I usually mix and match, one fine day, I looked at my deck and told myself, heck, I don't need the healing glyph, am better off drinking health potions. And now I have no fizzles in my deck even if I go full plate. All these years trying to reduce fizzles.....:rolleyes:

Both chain and plate are constantan. Perhaps I move slower now in full plate.... hence i can't kill as fast and end up taking more hits.

Again, I am trying to get more info to write a book. :p

4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

yes - I imagine full plate is for the rare tactician - although something I never quite understood was why plate/heavy armor contributes to fizzle chance - I mean I "get it" .. but also It doesn't seem like the heavy armor would impair someone quite so much as most games would have one think.

5. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

Plate: Tank-Armor (our Tank is using a pure Plate-Armor if we ware raiding)
    Chain: DamageDealer (a bit more damage from the components agains a bit more avoidance from the components) and a small benfit on th fizzle chance

but its a small different ...

if you wanna use as a DD more mage-skills you should use the Bone-Armor ...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Rentier likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

So I guess its either down to bad design, or they have not had time to tweaked it properly yet. or they forgot to nerf chain.

7. tyorl999

tyorl999 Avatar

I guess the design is ok:

the tank mostly uses his taunt and kites / tank the mobs. ..so he needs a huge dmg resist and avoidance.
    so, while he is tanking he has no time to cast any mage-skill; he buffs himself before the fight is starting,
    so, a huge fizzle chance from Plate is ok

ths DD can cast a few skills while he is fighting, so a small benefit of less fizzle for the chain is ok for me.

and, thats a desing od a real Chain / plate armor: wearing a real chain armor youhave more agility then weraring a Plate-armor ...so a different between both of them would be real

Jaesun and Nick like this.
  8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Plate has higher avoidance and damage resistance then chain. Although, the highest avoidance is actually bronze bone armor except for helm, but less weapon damage and dex masterworks is its leather instead of str mws for heavy.

Sara Dreygon, Jaesun and Nick like this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

They are not completely sidestepping the system, if you wear a complete matching set you get a 10% bonus on that armors skills. Like you will get 10% more avoidance from glancing blow if you use a full set of chain/plate as compared to mixing the sets up. As well, if your just using a chain chest and the rest light armor, you miss out on some of the masterworks like glancing blow power and duration on boots and pants and the dodge power and duration on light armor pants cuz you cant use dodge with the heavy armor chest on.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The setup I like best is chain chest, boot and pants, hard leather gloves and cabalist helm.

11. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

I think fizzle chance is kind of a bad system in general, there is nothing fun about just hitting the same button over and over waiting for an ability to go off, and I'm not a huge fan of putting too many restrictions on what people can combine reasonably. It's also annoying that going over 100% success chance doesn't really do much for you. I'd prefer it if they dropped the fizzle chance as a system entirely and instead maybe modified the cast time of spells instead. If you have a very low chance of succeeding at casting a spell currently you are effectively experiencing a cast time penalty anyways, just a random and annoying one. Maybe instead they could just make it so if you're stacking all the heaviest armor in the world your spells take twice as long, or even jsut only 50% longer to cast as when you're in cloth.

Cordelayne and krakenvarados like this.
  12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Not trying to say good or bad on the idea, just that I would be able to use plate then and stack up meteor shower and ring of fire in plate with weapons on, could end up being op with those kind of spells with long durations.

Sara Dreygon, Jaesun and Dhanas like this.
  13. Gia2

Gia2 Avatar

Plate and Chainmail should reduce stealth capabilities (metallic friction sounds) get more electricity damage and... have issues while swimming :D

14. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

True, but those spells are an issue all by themselves, because they just stack huge secondary damage on top of whatever else you're doing without any input or upkeep required. You would still see more potential damage out of a cloth caster just because they could put more direct attacks on target with faster cast times, but let's be real here, the reason someone tanking enemies in the circle would be broken is simply because the circle does way too much damage for a secondary source to begin with.

15. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Its the only damage spell moon has is meteor shower, ring of fire maybe but you take away meteor shower and it just becomes a pointless tree. As well, the major gear and exp investments it takes to get some of these things to deal good damage has to be taken into consideration as well. Then the fact they are not useful vs many bosses and some mobs. I dont know, you seem to want to change some HUGE mechanics in the game, where I dont see the problems that you do with many things.

Barugon and Crendel like this.
  16. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

lol.

Fizziling makes sense to me, actually - attempt, fail (fizzle) and I suppose Follow Through is the inclusion of a sort of armor-clad mage possibility

17. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

The problem is the difference between Full plate/chain is very little resist/max and a few more points of avoidance. You gain a HUGE amount of fizzle for those extra points. Plate just does not do enough compared to chain. I am the group Tank and I move way faster/better damage in chain, while still maintaining the same Protection levels. But because I now wear full chain I have access to all skills in the game as at gm in most skills even the air tree i have a decent 80% chance of casting spells.

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Really? There's gotta be a way the math works out.. So you think plate needs a buff? I haven't messed around with heavy armor very much. I imagine its (plate) designed with people who don't plan on using magic much at all.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If you using heat stacking for spells, you do not want any fizzle. If you fizzle on something you heat stacked, you have to start the whole stacking process over again and that time lost reduces your dps a lot.

Barugon likes this.
  20. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Not every problem can be fixed by making some tiny little adjustments. If the only useful thing in the moon tree is meteor shower then the moon tree is broken and needs a significant overhaul. In terms of action economy those extreme duration damage spells are off the charts compared to every other spell in the game. The amount of time you have to spend casting them vs. the amount of damage you get out is so extreme that they are simply a no brainer in every single fight where they work at all. Just because people are used to that doesn't mean it isn't broken. People solo group content by merely just kiting enemies through rings of fire in light armor, so of course it would be a problem if they can tank them in it in heavy armor, but that's not a reason to penalize heavy armor, that's a reason to balance ring of fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.