It's time to drop the cloth/leather pattern restriction (maybe all)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladamir Begemot, Oct 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It just annoys us.

It just costs Catnip sales.

It really annoys us.

At a minimum, drop the cloth/leather restriction.

If you're feeling crazy, drop the chain/plate difference. If you're feeling really generous just open it up so we can look how we want.

2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

All for it. There are way too many restrictions on what items can be changed to others. It's silly that you can't change a set of "cloth boots" that are clearly leather to a set of "leather boots" that also look like leather. The epic cloth armor gloves are literally made of metal, yet they can't be changed into leather gloves that look like they are made of cloth. Argh!

Another big one is removing the restriction on back items. Those items are purely cosmetic, it really shouldn't matter if you're wearing a backpack, wings, quiver or cloak to be allowed to show whatever you want in that slot.

And yea, this does cost revenue, because half the items on the store that look cool just aren't the right type for me to actually use, so I don't buy them.

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Agreed on the backslot. Neat idea, but unnecessary.

Free the patterns!

4. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

Okay and while we're at it, lets reshape weapons willy nilly as well - I'd love to wield a two-handed sword in each hand! Not!

I am against this.

5. amarious

amarious Avatar

110%!!

6. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Allowing a change between commonly used materials for an item of apparel is hardly the same as allowing weapon sizes to be changed. If vests were to be allowed to be changed into long coats than it would be a similar absurdity to what you suggested and thus questionable.

Anything beyond appropriate material changes for the item in question would be a bit much if the game is trying to maintain some sense of verisimilitude.

amarious likes this.
  7. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

That isn't equivalent. There are items you need to be able to see gauge the fighting style of your opponent, namely weapon type and armor type. Allowing patterns to be interchangeable between different types of heavy and light armor doesn't negate that capability, but being able to change patterns between weapon types would.

amarious likes this.
  8. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

9. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

I think I understand both sides.

What if I want to use a special armor part/weapon (because of stats), but I want to have it look like another one.
    I really like the look of Fortified cloth more than Augmented Cloth, but because of stats I sometimes combined those.
    And really: this looks not very good ;)

If someone prefers Augmented Leather, but the look of Fortified Leather - why not?
    Another one: If I like the look of Copper plate, but for stats I prefer Meteoric Iron. So why not having Copper (or maybe Obsidian black) style with an Iron Plate?

The whole thing is: Stats are depending on used material, more than on ability of crafters.

I think it should work only within the possibilites of material.
    Example: Wearing Cloth Armor shouldn't look like Chain / Plate Armor.
    Using a Pole shouldn't show a Sword, but a crafted shortsword could be changed in a dagger, just for look.
    Using a Bow shouldn't show a Crossbow.

Bone Armor can be reshaped for looking like Leather. Why not providing pattern for the look of Plate Armor???
    [--> I also think it would be good to have an own Skill for Bone Armor / Bone Weapons --> Bonesteel ;) @Chris?]

I would like to see to have the visuals of another Armor / Weapon if it is inside the same Armor class / Weapon class...

Dying helps, but will not change the look of Armor/Weapon ...

I think there are huge possibilities while having some basic rules.

Xandra7 and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

What if crafted gear has a chance of making a pattern when salvaged? Thus, if someone likes the look of augmented cloth, then that would provide an option for crafted versions that people don't want. It would also provide a reason to salvage old /worn gear. Pretty sure, generating patterns from crafted gear has been suggested before. I'd be all for that.

11. Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin

Mylady ‘Gin Gin Darlin Avatar

I like better how other games manage this. They have a number of interchangeable costume slots that show over the normal gear.
    Silly example - a Tank wearing heavy plate or chainmail base gear, but can have a costume that shows them wearing a ball gown.

There are pros and cons. A pro would be that you can salvage a piece of gear into a character bound costume piece and apply it onto a costume slot. A con would be that you could appear in PvP looking like a peasant and actually be a very powerful geared ganker.

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Definitely not in favor.

Curt and Bow Vale like this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hmm.

The only time the visuals matter would be in PvP where we gauge equipment related bonuses based on what they wear.

Where if not flagged for PvP I only see benefits to allow other patterns than type specific.

So if it were up to me I’d say use any pattern of the slot.
    But if flagged PvP then other players also flagged PvP see the item “under” the pattern.

(This would also reduce the usefulness of spying in PvE for PvP).

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm only for it because I really dislike all nearly all the leather armor sets in the game. If the elite elven archer set didn't exist, I might not have even started playing. Still waiting for that obsidian leather to start dropping in game. (It's only been about 15 releases since we were told that was going to happen...) The assassin set looks good too. I'm not really a fan of a lot of the heavy armors, etiher. The cloth stuff has some cool variety, though.

Jaesun and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

That said, I worry about SotA moving a little to close to other MMO styled games. My only other online experience is with ESO, where you can wear whatever you want and make it look like whatever you want. Convenient, sure, but if we remove too many of the things that makes SotA different than other MMOs, it gets harder to make the case for playing a game with a small team and less money behind it.

Jaesun and Dhanas like this.
  16. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

so, it's like wearing an epic cloth armor set in the outside but it's actually an epic plate armor set in the inside... okay... kinda weird though...

17. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, technically, there's no "epic cloth pattern" to apply to anything. But that would be the idea; you could pattern your epic plate with any pattern.

Alternatively, it'd be nice to just have a lot armor patterns to choose from, and keep the restriction in place. Though, obviously that's significantly more work and much less likely.

18. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I should be shooting fish at you because my arrows need patterns that look like trout.

19. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

20. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Well, lifting the restrictions on mixing cloth and leather or chain and plate patterns wouldn't make it so you can't tell if someone is wearing light or heavy armor. With the backslots it's also mostly cosmetic.

Also if you *really* want to check someone's gear you can hit examine on them and look.

Dhanas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.