Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Launcher does not work

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Dr. Hirnbrand, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Hirnbrand

Dr. Hirnbrand Avatar

1. Title

The game launcher/updater does not work.

2. Reproduction rate

100%

3. Detailed Description

The Game Launcher does not work. When started, the Launcher window appears, but stays empty. The window area is filled with a single color (pink?).
    I tried to reinstall using the free installer and the installer from my account page (...-1.2.0).

- The SotAInstaller.exe starts to work normally, shows a progress bar for downloading a new patch client. After finishing the download and patching, it restarts. As the window appears again it is all pink.
    - The SotAInstaller-1.2.0.exe never shows any activity, and appears as an empty window filled with a single color (pink?)

Before I reinstalled the client, I was able to get into the game by starting the game client directly from the installation directory.

Drivers are up-to-date. I have not tried any BETA drivers.

As a backup I will try to install and play the game via Steam.

4. Steps to Reproduce

Start the launcher

5. Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X
    GPU: Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
    RAM: 32GB
    DISKS: 250GB SSD, 2TB Harddisk

Specs from the launcher log (which also contains a lot of error messages):
    Code:
    Direct3D:
        Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
        Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (ID=0x731f)
        Vendor:   ATI
        VRAM:     3072 MB
        Driver:   26.20.13025.10004

SystemInfo, graphicsDeviceName=AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, graphicsMemorySize=3072, graphicsDeviceType=Direct3D11, operatingSystem=Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit, processorCount=16, processorType=AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor , systemMemorySize=32679

2. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

Has it ever worked for you? 120 is an old patcher, they have done a number of updates since then, what antivirus do you use, often some of them take offense to the p2p nature

Jaesun likes this.
  3. Dr. Hirnbrand

Dr. Hirnbrand Avatar

Thank you for the reply.

It worked for some time before. But then the launcher turned "pink". I could start the client by blindly clicking on the pink area where I guessed the "play" button would be.
    I could not repair that solid color window, so I tried a clean reinstall.

Although the launcher window does not show anything, the client does download the client 0 -> 105x archive, but no game gets installed. There are files in the download folder, some are quite large.

The only Antivirus installed is the default Windows Security Essentials (?) thingy, never had any problems with that. The firewall asked for confirmation to give network access to the launcher, which I granted.
    I have not checked if the torrent client uses uPNP to open a port on the router, though.

The downloads I got from the obvious locations on the website, the free to play download and the account page. I now have found a third location embedded in the player guide of release 70.
    I am going to try that one later.

It seems that the free-to-play launcher is initially working, it proceeds to download a new patch client. But turns pink when switching over to the new launcher.

However, installing and playing via Steam worked, so I probably just use that in the future.

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

the reason it turned pink was it updated and somehow it didnt quite like it it may have still been working you just couldnt tell..

5. Dr. Hirnbrand

Dr. Hirnbrand Avatar

Yeah, a pink screen is quite the opposite of being informative about progress.

It works ok if I replace the graphics card with an old radeon R9 390X. So I guess I have to wait until a new version of the GPU drivers are available.
    The game itself seems to work without issues on the newer card though. Very confusing, since the launcher does not seem to do much high-end 3d graphics.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Jaesun likes this.
  6. Dr. Hirnbrand

Dr. Hirnbrand Avatar

I just received an update to AMD driver release 19.10.2,
    and the issue with the pink launcher window appears to be fixed.
    It shows again the downloads of patches and a progress bar.

Jaesun, liz_the_wiz and Alley Oop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.