Full Plate vs Full Chainmail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Oct 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And some things are just not problems in the first place.

Bow Vale and Barugon like this.
  2. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

Just because you're used to it doesn't mean it isn't a problem. You're the one who pointed out that this particular type of spell single handedly makes the armor restriction on half the magic trees necessary. Maybe that should tell you something.

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, I pointed out the problem with your idea of just increasing cast time instead of having fizzle.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Look, the shoe that fits one pinches another, there is no recipe for life that suits all. I dont go to mcdonalds and ask them to switch all their grills to flame broilers and change to different fries cuz I dont like it despite others that do like it, I just go to burger king.

Bow Vale and Boris Mondragon like this.
  5. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

This would be a good argument if this game had a large playerbase, but of course wasn't for everyone. But when a game has a very small playerbase it tends to get trapped in a bubble where it doesn't receive the criticism it needs to grow, because the people who see the issues that make lots of people go somewhere else just aren't around anymore. This game has definitive strengths, but ability design is not one of them.

6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You need to do a poll and see if a majority feel the same way as you if you really want to say the ideas you have are going to be the ones that keep or bring new players in, making the assumption that everyone thinks the same way you do and that your ideas are better then the people who have been making games for years.......

7. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

The problem is that the majority of people in a small game is always comprised of the people who don't see the problems that made it a small game to begin with.

oplek likes this.
  8. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

So... no fizzle anymore regardless of plate or weapons and the game will be good to go. People can just wear light armor for the pretty colors and plate for everything else.

Boris Mondragon and Mac2 like this.
  9. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

OR OR, and bear with me here, they dont agree its a problem like YOU think it is. If you really think this is why people left, you missed out on a TON of other reasons. I have not ever seen a single post saying im leaving the game cuz of fizzle.

LOL

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Top reasons I saw players leave. #1 death decay. When death decay was a thing, we lost casual players who would exp then lost it all and at the end of the day not have gained any.

#2. Things there were suppose to be exclusive coming back into the add on store. Many people thought of those things in this game like an investment and when they lost that exclusivity were pretty pissed off.

#3. specializations. This game was said that you do do everything if you so wanted. Specializations went against that.

#4. the quest system. the bugs on some of the quests caused people much frustration, and still do.

#5. right now, just the mention of the no trade item thing is pissing some people off, and it has not even happened yet.

There are many more reasons, but one I have never seen was because of fizzle.

11. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

That reads more like an excuse to avoid putting your idea to a publicly recorded vote than anything else.

Many fantasy MMORPGs limit the use of armour and magic together. Unlike some that have outright prohibition, SotA allows you to mitigate the fizzle chance of spells through various means, allowing a character to better mix these abilities at the opportunity cost of foregoing more developed ability in one area alone. I think this is an excellent approach and highly doubt many players feel it a major factor in diminishing the game's appeal.

Alley Oop and Mac2 like this.
  12. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

Yes, that is a bit limited. But I think that is fitting for the level of focus suggested in specialization. I don't think it reasonable for someone to concurrently be an expert at everything.

13. Sketch_

Sketch_ Avatar

im convinced the developers involved with this title know more about game design and balance than any of us would ever want to know, and its for this same reason that many of us fail to grasp the game's subtleties. In fact, the game systems are probably so outright simple and forthcoming that our eager "weekend-warrior" game design population champs at the bit to tweak it here and there, when really a bigger badder fish - a higher order of design has already gracefully done all the hard work for us and all we have to do is relax and enjoy ourselves

Nick likes this.
  14. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

It's not an excuse, it's just common sense. If a restaurant is going out of business because not enough people go to eat there, do you think the tiny number regulars who love the food can tell you what's wrong with it?

15. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

They can tell what they think is wrong with it. Just because someone likes something doesn't mean they confuse it with perfection. Nor does a small customer base suggest what is offered is lacking. Not everything has wide appeal. Some choose to cater to a niche market and simply will not have the same draw regardless of inherent value.

When the customer base is truly insufficient, like here I expect, there must be an attempt to gain more. What need be done and how is all that is left to determine, and that will be a matter of some debate as opinions on this are far from uniform.

Jaesun and Mac2 like this.
  16. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

There is nothing wrong with catering to a niche market, but suggesting that Shroud's niche is it's bad ability design and therefore it can't be called out is simply nonsense.

17. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Iirc there is some kind of an armor type bonus on defensive stance, so maybe plate gets more benefit from it than chain aside from just having higher base DR.

Imo chain is generally a little better than plate (some pieces more than others), but there's some good reasons to wear full plate other than just not using any magic. Earth and life are still easy to use in full plate, and even death is accessible with spec.

18. Nick

Nick Avatar

So, not much benefit in using plate since the difference is so small.
    Guess Plate needs more love, or Chain needs more....and knowing he who cannot not be named.... :p

Perhaps there might be a chain/plate mastery coming up to differentiate things in the far future. Having that will make more sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.