SotACon Austin 2020 - Ideas, plans, and coordination starts now!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

that would be quite the drive

Elgarion, CatherineRose and Winfield like this.
  2. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

excellent :)

3. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

looking forward to finding out when the next stacon is and if you need any help just contact me

Elgarion, NANOC, Geaux and 1 other person like this.
  4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

With the already available API and Lua on the way, I'd like to see a community developer focused panel.

5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Count me in.

Elgarion, matpsch, NANOC and 2 others like this.
  6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I'm thinking that doing an early morning internet ( say6-7 AM) panel could be set up for those in Europe, to watch, perhaps getting questions submitted early to keep it running smoothly?
    Coordinate with groups overseas at specific times to keep them included?

Elgarion, Sol Stormlin, NANOC and 5 others like this.
  7. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

Great idea, panels to help players create content would be great.

In a similar vein, given the plan to integrate Ink, I'd love to see a panel focused on interactive story-telling.

Elgarion, Geaux and Winfield like this.
  8. Lady Addy

Lady Addy Avatar

So very excited. I am very interested in trying to attend in person and help in any way possible. Awaiting the date in order to start planning.
    ❤️
    *curtesy*
    Lady Addy

9. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

There are still lots of ideas being generated for SotACon 2020!

How about some of you Home Brew people making some special edition Home Brew for main or sidebar gatherings? Who's into Home Brew? (thinking about making mead?)

Any other "crafty" people out there with likewise ideas? Honey jars? Beef Jerky? Jewelry? Flaming Arrows?

We could use homemade things as prizes for the attendees. If you can't attend, you can ship them to us!

We will most likely set up a Print My Banner thing again like we did at the King's Dinner 2018. We get your SotA heraldry ahead of time (you send to us whatever you want), then you get small, medium, or large banners made locally in Austin at cost. Those who came to the King's Dinner 2018 can bring your banners back with you! We will certainly have prestigious places for your banners in the Grand Hall (whatever that might be... possibly just a tree-to-tree line) or at your tent, cabin, or wherever you put down your "cozy chair".

Also remember, we will have Stone Soup, so everyone gets to bring some item to put in the Soup! (locally purchased/grown items are fine).

So much fun!!

10. Belladonna Rose

There was some discussion about doing a fund raiser to help revitalize the Gypsy Wagon. I myself suggested a couple tiny houses that look like that as well so folks who dont have campers, tents and such to place their heads at Castleton. So not sure if many would be intersted in doing such a thing. Atos mentioned he had tools so i guess just need local folks who can go down and help with the builds if we can raise the funds for materials. Doesnt have to be on wheels but at least elevated off the ground a bit since its down there on the lake. Not sure how often the lake floods with heavy rains. Just an idea.

11. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

@Belladonna Rose - Will add this to the ideas list. Need to talk to Richard (as @Atos mentioned), to see if it would be ok and to coordinate our efforts.

12. Belladonna Rose

Apparently my talk on discord has warranted that I am in charge of making poutine for the masses. LOL. Thats alot of taters folks. LOL

13. Winfield

Poutine (/puːˈtiːn/ poo-TEEN, Quebec French: [put͡sɪn] ([​IMG]listen)) is a dish that includes french fries and cheese curds topped with a brown gravy. It originated in the Canadian province of Quebec and emerged in the late 1950s in the Centre-du-Québec area.

[​IMG]
    Poutine made with thick beef gravy on French-fried potatoes with fresh cheese curds is a style commonly found outside Quebec.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine
    Yum! Can we put fish in that??

Nefrinia, Mhtic, Elgarion and 5 others like this.
  14. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

cheese, taters, and gravy... these are in my top 10 list of things I cannot have too much of. :)

15. Belladonna Rose

Put what you want on it. I was to try it with pulled pork.

16. Belladonna Rose

What would be fun is the Round Robin thing we did last year of Richard's D &D campaign. That was a hoot for sure.

17. Winfield

Greetings everyone! We are making progress on ideas and plans for SotACon 2020 ... more in the ideas department right now!! And that is good!

Castleton:
    7400 Coldwater Canyon Dr, Austin, TX 78730

We are working on:
    • Confirming dates in October 2020
    • Creating program and agenda concepts to run Thurs night (Icebreaker) through Sunday afternoon/night (Farewell Toasts)
    • Determining high speed internet connections and WiFi
    • Thinking on SotACon "hubs" around the world during the event
    • Researching catering for King's Dinner (Saturday)
    • Working on ticket prices / ticket type options.
    • Inventing ideas to craft LARP equipment. (live action role play with non-lethal swords, bows, and flame-strike spells)
    • Mapping the Experience at Castleton (creating a google map to show where everything is and what to do).
    • Working with The Baron's Men for Saturday night play ideas (the Fall play is Shakespeare's The Tempest !! Huzzah!)
    • Coming up with camping options (Thurs to Sunday) - cabins, tents, rental tents and equipment
    • Looking into simple, easy to rent and wear costumes and cloaks so we can all feel a bit "medieval" if desired
    • Researching hotels south of Castleton (TX-360 / TX-1 / US 290) close enough drive, share transportation, hang out, meet people
    • Thinking on renting or sharing transportation to/from Airport, hotels, etc.
    • Coming up with Sponsor ideas (to help reduce costs for attendees, add SWAG, publicize sponsors)
    • Envisioning audience attendees beyond just Shroud of the Avatar players (other games, Ultima Dragons, more)
    • Slugging through behind-the-scenes event details (insurance, legal, the dull but necessary stuff)
    • Getting more buzz going on Streams and around the community.
    • And always coming up with fishing ideas!!!! (of course)
    [​IMG]
    HoBLotH II - November 2015

We hope to have confirmed dates announced in a few weeks. The event will probably be in October 2020.

The ticket prices will take longer to announce because as you can see from the above, there are a LOT of ideas! We are brainstorming a lot into the program (keep the ideas coming!), including adding optional features on location (Castleton) and around Austin that have specific costs connected to them. So we don't want to announce ticket prices that are too high or too low ... too soon, and then have to adjust.

We are planning for anywhere from 75-150 people to physically attend the SotACon 2020. We want it to be a family friendly event. We will probably cap the event at 200 max. We will also try to have virtual attendees registered who can directly benefit with a virtual presence or sessions (these are dependent on the Internet and WiFi solutions).

Thoughts anyone? Suggestions?

/bows
    Winfield

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Nefrinia, Mhtic, Elgarion and 11 others like this.
  18. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Loved attending HOBLOTH 2 and helping Rustic Dragon with the minor things he needed help with on the Friday before before it started. Good times! :)

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I played some Amtgard back in the '90s (even driving up to Austin where quite a few Origin folks were doing it too) and the general idea of magic was was "spell balls", which were a wad of cloth scraps wrapped in a square of colored cloth to make a 5cm or so ball tied up with a rubber band to make a tail. "buffs" were strips of cloth tied around an arm or something. You had to say a bunch of silly words as the "spells" to give a time factor, especially for doing things like healing. So you'd have people shouting things like "fireball fireball fireball" at other people and throwing red balls at them. I can say that I probably got better at throwing things thanks to this.

For combat there were rules such that you had to make a reasonably good costume item out of leather or chain rings or whatever to count as armor.

One tactical oddness was that a "no hits to the head" rule meant that low ground was easier to defend.

20. Xiones

Xiones Avatar

Make Bows Great Again..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.