Tired of all the talk of how the negative is only from outside the community

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drilikath, Oct 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VesperMadeMeChangeIt

VesperMadeMeChangeIt Avatar

To be honest, I agree with both sides.

I'm a firm supporter of the game and lucky to get to talk to a dev on occasion. Mostly List because he attends a lot of in game events. But there are others that can pick up their phones and text and call them and get their voices heard much easier and they definitely have a larger influence. Also at SOTA-CON, people got to get involved and volunteer for different community things that are coming up. I'd love for some of those opportunities and discussions to have included as many as possible, not just the select few who can travel to Austin or pay huge amounts to the game.

2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Because it is negative......

3. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

I am not the one who did it, All I did was state what happened. Try and figure out a way to move past it. Personal attacks where not from me to others, and I should not be attacked for saying what is going on around here.

Bankchick likes this.
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Trust me dude... If there WERE a dev backside I would kiss, it CERTAINLY wouldn't belong to Chris. As a matter of fact, I do believe I enjoy the pleasure of being blocked by him on FB... don't know why, just know that I am.

And you are 100% correct. If there is something wrong, you should be able to bug report it, and it get taken care of as you say. Yet, there are things that have been bug reported, posted about, discussed, and dragged back in and beaten beyond death again and again, and they are STILL. HERE. You know the list... quests, journal, terrible attempts at camera control in storyline conversations, the need for a complete crafting system overhaul instead of slapping more layers of wet newspaper on it like a 3 year old attempting paper mache... and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm in for a few figures myself, but nothing as crazy as you, the people I run with in game, or some others in this discussion, and am going nowhere soon, but the (until recently) complete lack of communication and feedback letting us know they are listening to anything except during Chris' (bad idea only as a sole source of communication) livestreams.

I'll even say this: I'm completely against Chris having his hands in this at all, as half the things I hate about the game are his brain-babies, but it is what it is. He owns the show now, and it's success or failure is squarely on his shoulders. In his defense, he seems to have taken a round turn and started injecting some energy in the project that has been lacking for some time, so I am more than willing to stick around and see if they apply that energy in a way that ultimately helps the project, rather than just listening to a select few and ignoring the rest as has been fairly apparent for some time.

5. HannahAlpenglow

HannahAlpenglow Avatar

Chris said : If anyone has any ideas on ways to get the media to print that second story instead of the first, LET ME KNOW. :p Also, if you are associated with any website and want an exclusive interview, scoops on stuff coming up, call me, I'm all yours!!

If you hadn't got on the soapbox and called out the press, you probably would have just gotten a nice little update about the plan for Bards. And then MOP wouldn't have pulled their archives to show how many of those "second stories" they actually do for you. Oof.

MrBlight, Spoon, Kirthag and 9 others like this.
  6. KnightFalz

KnightFalz Avatar

I'd be interested in knowing what those certain things are that SotA does better than other MMORPGs.

The game is niche in that at least at one time it was meant to appeal to those wishing for an experience similar to the MMORPGs of yesteryear instead of what is generally provided today, and those curious about such games and the style of play they had. However, some changes to the game have moved away from that, so at this point it may just refer to the amount of players it drew in comparison to other games.

MrBlight likes this.
  7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No I don't think you should have been banned, fro the messages I saw. Yeah, you were pretty livid over the archery change, but unless I missed some messages that really put you over the top, that's not right. @Chris

Astirian, Geaux, Xandra7 and 3 others like this.
  8. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

One thing is sure is having a 5+ page thread, if i was a dev, and seeing this occasionally every weeks, i wouldnt even take the time to read it, even less get any constructive message out of it.
    If you want your voice to be heard, maybe you shouldnt do it while bitching, but by making a post that he will see, simple post, not 50 paragraph to explain how to completly change the whole game.. That wont help.

Its easy to point out errors but correcting them is harder. One big error this community does is ranting everyday, not being patient enough, and not letting the chance to the runner.
    The company got sold and big changes were made not as far as 2-3 weeks ago. Did you guys really think the game would have changed as a whole in 3 weeks? This game took years to make. Give it AT LEAST a year or two to change for the good.

But for now, any ranting, complaints or whatever is pretty useless. We could argue all day that its the same team and they didnt do it right before why would they do it right after?
    Simple, alot changed in the past 2-3 weeks, but there is 2 importants thing to remember :

We're getting more developpers on the team.
    Alot more money will be invested in the game rather than paying extra stuff worth nothing (as mentionned as why the company changed hands)

And just my personal tought about ranting and all. When you get your child at grocery and he start crying and yelling, what do people think about it? Wow that kid is hell, poor parent... yep, that.

9. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Ouch!

The unfortunate aspect of this is that MOP used to be a huge proponent of Shroud. In full transparency, I haven't read all of their SotA related articles (boy did they cover the game a lot), but the ones I have were very supportive of the game and Portalarium; until very recently it seems. That being the case, I would think @Chris would make every effort to show how things are changing for the better. I for one am super happy that he is posting updates on the forums again. That is a huge plus for me.

While I get where Chris is going with this statement, "It is a great story but a tough sell to get a website to write about in a positive way. Negative speculation or explosive success? Sure, they’ll print that all day long but month after month moderate success and perseverance, meh, no one will click on that.”, it's clear that MOP gave more positive than negative coverage, to date. Also, I'd be shocked if any other media outlet covered the game as much as they had/have.

At the end of the day, the game has to stand on it's own two legs. I'm not so sure that it really does that yet. The game isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't great either, it's OK. It has some strong components (housing, sandbox play, etc.) and some weak ones (quest/story, UI, bugs, etc.). In my very humble opinion, this is the major reason for the bad press I have read on the game.

10. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Blue, Killer and Humpback are those who @Chris listens to. He says their songs are what guide his decisions on all things SOTA.

Astirian, Alley Oop, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  11. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

MOP does a great job, what we need is for OTHER websites to cover the game as well.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Ouch and yet again so much of the Devs and the games problems are self inflicted. Just like this.

13. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

You obviously felt the need to come in here and tell me how I should go about getting them to do something. You are part of the problem. I am not going to sit back and wait and watch all this Heritage BS come to be. If that is the goal of the game a bunch of F2P BS no trade deco, I dont want it. I can pull subs that is fine. I can leave the game, that is cool too. Obviously "we" cant do anything right by "you".

What is also the difference between 50 different post, and 50 different threads about the same thing? Lazy people have to scroll/look through?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  14. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Nearly all the problems being pointed out as serious issues have existed and been reported since *before* persistence even began. They were pointed out even more so *after* persistence began. And yet they all still exist (questing issues, journal issues, crafting book issues, etc...). I.e., they've had continuous, solid feedback for 6+ years about the root problems in the game. You're saying that suddenly they're going to magically wake up to the fact that they need to fix what's been broken for half a decade and we just need to give them more time to fix it? When they've shown rather zero inclination to fix these things for such a long time? How long are we supposed to wait, exactly? Even Chris says the sale to Catnip games was an administrative move to cut costs, with no staff loss. The proposed plan moving forward doesn't seem to really address the long standing issues, either. So I'm curious what makes you think any of the things that have been broken and discussed and pointed out for years are now going to be a priority when they don't show up on the new list of priorities...

Astirian, MrBlight, Jaesun and 4 others like this.
  15. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Thank you For your input. If people read Reddit and dig deep I do not care what you are looking for you will find it. Who killed JFK etc etc etc. It is not about them, it is about the people here, Im sick of being told every single post I ever make is wrong. Maybe I am not great with words. Maybe I have issues typing and other things. None of that matters it seems. I just keep being told that I do it wrong.

16. DavidDC

Yep. I think selling the games asset to catnip give them the right to do whatever they want and not having a bunch of bakers asking stuff or blocking others cause of certain backers things etc etc.

17. DavidDC

If you think RMT games are popular and is what make game work, i suggest you go around and check those big RMT games how much they are filled up with players. (Very empty, more than this), Biggest names is entropia universe/second life.

18. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I really wish they would come out and give us some idea what their plan is with Heritage items. I'd like to know if it's the new norm and what will be Heritage or not going forward.

19. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That addresses exactly zero of the questions I asked. The issues that drive away players are well known, has really zero to do with backers at all, and haven't been addressed for over half a decade and don't really appear on the forward looking statements.

20. CICI

CICI Avatar

Entropia Universe was a fun game =) ton of players @devilcult
    is a fun game***

Mishikal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.