New skill: Reduce fizzle from weapon

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by spainchaud, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

I would like to see a skill that reduces the fizzle caused by holding a weapon. Each weapon tree could have its own version.

2. Toular

Toular Avatar

There is a skill to do that ... Focus tree, "Follow through".

3. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Could be added as a masterwork on weapon, or enchantment

4. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

That is different from what I am talking about. When you equip a weapon, like a bow, you fizzle chance increases. For a bow it is 13.5%. I would like to see a skill (maybe tier 6) that would reduce the fizzle for the type of weapon used in that tree.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is by design. ;)

6. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Yes, thus the reason this skill is suggested.

Basically, if I can reformulate for Spain who seems mis-understood, this is what he wants :

An Innate skill in every weapon tree that would reduce the fizzle modifier generated by weapons of that tree, i.e. Bows that have a 13.5% increased fizzle chance, by raising this skill, it would reduce BOWS impact on fizzle, by lets say 25% at lvl 80, meaning that bows would only increase fizzle chance 10.125%.

This is honestly a good idea, because you can focus on one weapon tree for this (could have a x10 exp cost too, to compliment this), and since some magic schools have a harsher modifier from equipment, i.e Death (+35%), that means that his 13.5% BASE usually becomes 18.225 for Death magic, and would now become 13.6% with this new passive. That saves a whole 5% on the death Tree which can sometimes help quite a bit. This is mainly a small bonus, but a nice one at least!

7. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The main difference between Follow Through from the focus school and this one, is that Follow Through will reduce the spells base fizzle chance, unnafected by the weapon the user is wielding (which is the affected by the "Fizzle Chance from equipment" Modifier spells have). These new innates could reduce the latter, Follow Through is a more universal innate, while this new one would be a more specialized one, for a specific weapon, while the weapon is being worn.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If weapon specialization reduced fizzle then I'd be okay with it.

Jaesun likes this.
  9. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

That could work! Makes sense too, it would be a nice bonus!

10. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

In order to make the skill more palatable to the developers, it could be tier 6 skill, under specialization. It could unlock at specialization = 80 or 100. It would probably at least a 4x skill.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That would work too. I'm all for making specialization more valuable, even if it's just to unlock another skill.

12. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

If you want to have less fizzle chance train magery. As higher the skill as less the fizzle chance. Raising attunement is also a good idea. Wearing clothes helps also. An finally use a wand or staff they also reduce fizzle chance. Standing still reduces fizzle chance and if this long enough you get a +5% bonus on spell crit. chance.
    An archer is not a mage. The fizzle chance is there to differentiate between mage and melee/archer. What you are asking for is a tank-mage. Thus type no-one wants in a game.
    Instead of death magery you can also use water magic. In the past the death-archer and air-archer where OP, that is why they increased fizzle chance for some schools and for other schools they decreased fizzle chance. (heal, water, earth...)

Dhanas, Barugon and Ravenscar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.