My musings on life and death and dancing

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by Fionwyn Wyldemane, Nov 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I had a rough weekend, grieving the loss of yet another beloved cat. My life was enriched by his. My life feels emptier now that he's gone.

I've lost three cats in the last six months - first Kellen aka "Kellenator" to breast cancer. Yes, even kitties can get that disease. Next was Boomerang aka "Baby Boomer". He lived seven years longer than the vet thought he would, but the inevitability of kidney failure came calling. On Saturday, yesterday, it was Valentino aka "Teeno Beeno". He had no use for me for thirteen years, until he needed me to coax him to eat during his last few weeks. He finally accepted all the petting and butt rubs I had been waiting to give him. Even as he lay on the bed, depleted of energy from the tumor that had invaded his kidney, he touched me with his paw.

So as I sit here writing this with tears in my eyes and a sense of loss at the forefront of my mind, you may be wondering what Valentino's life and death has to do with dancing? Everything.

I DJ'd a dance party last night, just a few hours after Valentino was gone. Most people there had no idea how heart broken I was - I didn't say anything. But, in the midst of my sorrow, there was the community in their costumes giving me comfort without them even realizing it; making me smile from ear to ear; reminding me that it's healthier to celebrate life than to dwell on death.

There are people in the community who "pooh pooh" dance parties. Have no use for them. Think they are are stupid. I get it. Not your cup of tea. I am not writing to convince you differently.

I am writing to say that whatever negative view some have of dance parties in SOTA there is another side to them that doesn't get talked about: dance parties help build community and relationships with others. And they help people like me cope with grief in healthier ways. They can add joy on a day that goes to sh!t in the space of seconds. They can provide the solace of being with others even if those others haven't got a clue that you need solace.

I miss Valentino. But just as he accepted me with his little paw, so has this community accepted me with their kindness and virtual touch. So I'll continue privately musing about life and death as I grieve. But thanks to this community, I'll keep dancing too. Because it is better to dance while you can, support others when you have the chance and love before it's too late.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So sorry for your recent losses. I'm happy to hear you found solace in the community coming together. It is true no one has to go it alone with online communities with common interests to keep each other company. May your days be brighter soon Missy @Fionwyn Wyldemane.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So sorry for your losses! My animals are family and I know how tough that can be. I'm sure they were appreciative of the great home you gave them as much as you are appreciative of them. There are many more hapless paws in need of help, and I hope a lucky one (or two or three) finds you when the time is right.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

My animals are my children and were all wretched and homeless before they came to us.

I understand your pain and offer deepest sympathy and condolences. *big hugs to you, dear friend*

[​IMG]

5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I accidentally posted this in my dungeon thread :)

[​IMG]

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm sorry to hear this :(. I'm sure his life was enriched by you as well.

Cordelayne and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  7. Cianna

Cianna Avatar

I'm so sorry for your loss, Fionwyn. I know that pain and it's never easy. Sending you a hug.

8. Wakaku

Wakaku Avatar

I am sorry for your loss. the greatest joys of life bring the deepest pain. nothing lasts forever and all must come to an end. in so saying we must remember the joy and love we had and to appreciate this moment with the people and little fur babies we still have around us and with us! as they say "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" but to me what brakes your heart makes you human! I raise my cup to you and will dance to your music my lovely DJ and to the naysayers SWWGAS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.