LUA and Inky

Discussion in 'Lua Discussions' started by Proteus Tempest, Nov 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I want the Obsidians themed one!

Astirian likes this.
  2. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The obvious answer here is Players. Players know what they want and how they want it, and will work towards that goal. Devs have an idea of what players might need but have many more things on their plates, thus less time to give to the UI. It isn't anything against the Devs, it is simply a normal fact about gaming in general IMO.

Jaesun, Joe Zhudarak and Mishikal like this.
  3. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Do we have coders and artists in our Tiny player base? I Hope so

Astirian likes this.
  4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Coders for sure, and I'd say highly likely on the artists side.

5. Helverian

Helverian Avatar

Thanks for the answers. I am now in a discord chat which is for games that already got Lua integrated. I primary wanted a chat or forum for lua with sota and ink(y) with sota.

I am coder and i have tested lua long ago but i do not needed it for anything.

Now i see a big chance for sota.

Lua:
    UI > great but dont mind me.

Chat Log extending > i see allianz chat coded via lua. Lua script read the guild chat and every log entry with example tag -al- would be send to an server via rest api and from there to mobil phones from alliance member to discord chat via chat bot and also back to all members feom the alliance in sota with a tag like #al#. And many many things more. Looking for Group sending to discord or other mobil app and so on.

Inky:

Yesterday i tried inky the editor for ink for npc story dialog. Will be great if we can put every own vendor or (human) npc own story
    But i also see it could be difficult. How to save the state of a chat or how to change the journal. Like @Paladin Michael mentioned

Paladin Michael likes this.
  6. Curt

Curt Avatar

So where to find information about inky?
    searching the word inky gives way to many misses

7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  8. Helverian

Helverian Avatar

Yes to search in internet for inky stuff search for 'ink inky script'
    Because inky and also ink are common words.
    Ink is the programming language/script. Inky is the preferred tool for ink. And 'script' for not finding inky or ink stuff to paint or write with.

9. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Reporting for duty Joe! I've made a bunch of mobile games, mix of different languages and SDKs (2 in Lua +1 unreleased), a mix of my own art, modified asset art and also had a dedicated artist for one project.

I'd post a link but it seems self-serving.

Looking forward to bringing some of my experience to the SotA community!

10. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

Nice!!

Astirian likes this.
  11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I'm no artist, but I know my way around a block of code.

I'm looking forward to what lua opens to me. Clearing the clutter off onto a second screen will be a godsend.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    craftymethod and Cordelayne like this.
  12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

This is part of why we chose to build off of an existing, well documented, and proven open source library, Inky. Not sure what the full story is behind the stuff Neverwinter was doing is but it has been problematic since day 1.

I'm betting the Players! :p

I know it seems tiny but still around 10k active players who login at least monthly. Also, remember that part of the reason this is being added is because I want that number to go up. Hoping this will be yet another news worthy item to nudge that in the right direction while at the same time making the game better.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I watched the streams about LUA and for me I'd say I'm not getting the picture of what this would mean to us. So yes I hear there is code to write in a LUA window that makes certain things, (words?) display. I don't get what's going to happen and why I would want this. Shouldn't the game display what we need and want?

At this time it doesn't fully do that I know. Like we don't see if we are poisoned visually no green skin, no active poisoned colored letters displaying amounts of poison damage we are taking.

Anyway I just can't picture what the benefits of LUA will be. Can someone help me with some easy to understand visuals of why the average player wants this?

Paladin Michael likes this.
  14. Drake Aedus

Drake Aedus Avatar

@majoria70

It is not so much that the average player will want Lua, but that Lua will allow the interested players to develop tools and displays that other players may want to use.

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Right. And hopefully some of those UI improvement will make their way back into the base game. Hopes and prayers.

Otherwise the new players won't know about them until they've found them.

It's like mods for other games. If you play Skyrim without mods you are getting a much less robust experience than if you play it with mods. The downside is that you can spend days getting your mods set up before even starting, and sometimes that winds up being the entire experience. :p

Astirian and Drake Aedus like this.
  16. Lained

Lained Avatar

There's quite a few coders myself included.

Mishikal likes this.
  17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@majoria70 Just to get an idea of the sorts of things that Lua makes possible, I suggest browsing through the various mods for games (especially if they are games you're familiar with) that get distributed through sites like https://www.curseforge.com/

For WoW, for example, there are mods to rewrite the RAID frames to make them more usable to players, or things like Deadly Boss Mods that help you anticipate boss attacks and what defenses to use, or things like Auctioneer that rewrite the auction house API and add various information (disenchant info, etc) to the tooltip. There are modules to replace the default quest journal (We could really use the ability to do that...), etc. Depending on what SOTA makes available, there's a profound opportunity to allow players massive control over the appearance and function of the game that offer a significantly improved experience to all players.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  18. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Interesting stuff.

What would it take for a non programmer to learn to use this stuff?

19. fooBrew

fooBrew Avatar

Using your own example, someone could provide a Lua script which would cause a small icon to appear on your screen which indicates that you're poisoned. It could also have a number displayed underneath which shows the amount of damage your taking from it or even a countdown to when the poison will expire, etc, etc. Pretty much anything you can think of could be changed with the interface limited only by what the devs allow us.

Instead of asking the devs to change or improve some aspect of the client interface, you could just post a request here asking someone to consider implementing it in Lua.

20. fooBrew

fooBrew Avatar

Lua is a very simple language so you should be able to pick it up with a little time and effort. I'd suggest starting with the Lua Tutorial. Also have a look at existing scripts others have posted here once more exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.