What changes would get you to play Shroud again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by City Slicker, Nov 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

@Mishikal I agree with all your items, but most importantly:
    same for me (I think I got 1 single robe, but no hood or weapon; also no dragon head) - whats the point in killing bosses?
    YES. Not being overpowered using only 2 at a given time, but still able to perform any specific role when needed (e.g. taming)

Addison, Hornpipe, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  2. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Pretty much this. I want a story rich RPG, with memorable characters, companions, side quests, exploration, etc. I really could even care less about the graphics and gameplay to a point, since those tend to be the systems that support the story to me. From a MMO standpoint, I get there will be less centralized narrative to handle the total storyline, but there are plenty of examples of companies who provide a strong backstory and updated content. In game events that are ACTUALLY based on lore and driving the narrative flow, not simply Devs showing up to hot tub parties OOC.

Ironically, player housing should not have been the driving force before actually marketing for more and consistent players. I'd want to see a detailed timeline and actual plan of what changes were being done to change direction. They've personally burned a lot of nostalgia and patience that was on credit from the KS days.

Sophi, docdoom77, Addison and 13 others like this.
  3. oplek

oplek Avatar

Sans rewards, presumably the point would be because the combat is fun. Unfortunately, for people like me, the fundamental approach to combat here is more a means to an end, than being fun itself. There's a big difference to me between sort of a "tactile" combat, like in a FPS zombie game where you get satisfaction of getting a head shot with little more than your own hand-eye coordination.... and waiting for a glyph to cool down and having some kind of relevant animation occur. Maybe even with some particle effects.

Combat like this can be fun, but it'd need to take more of a Warcaft or Dungeon Siege approach. Unfortunately, our army of companions are offline-only.

Sophi, Addison, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Admit it, you really just want to eat the voice actors.

5. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

100 points to Gryffindor!

Witcheypoo and Dinsoo like this.
  6. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

I think every game has a lifespan with each player. Most people play for a time, master what they can, exhaust the content, and move on. No one plays a game forever, even WoW or UO.

Humans are notoriously fickle and eventually lose interest with the things they love, whether it's a marriage, restaurant, TV show, or MMO. I'm sure this has been modeled by someone, showing a nice curve and a long tail on a chart. Even if you get someone back for a while they'll eventually leave. And it's okay for people to leave. New players come along and take their place; it's the circle of life.

Think of it like dating; play as long as you'd like and move on when you're no longer having fun. Or stay and work it out.

See you online.

7. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

[​IMG]

Witcheypoo and Parson Barr like this.
  8. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Hannibal? That looks like the A Team movie. Never saw it but I think Liam was in it.

Astirian likes this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

1. A true solo/selective multiplayer experience. For example, the current model for bosses is that most are "group content" until you reach an endgame level. If I don't want to play in a group, it means waiting until AL115-120ish. It took me about a year to get to 100 at the rate I play. It took another year to get to 105. And it gets slower the higher you go. So unless I'm willing to grind UT for months on end, "endgame" is still several years away. So what's the point? What is there for me to do except the same content over and over and over?
    2. Player quest tools.

10. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

It is indeed Qui-Gon Jinn! I felt the movie was a let-down but I have fond memories of the show as a kid, that theme doe!

11. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Is that the same in Offline? In offline, I feel that at the average level at which a player completes the main story-line, he or she should be able to kill the toughest "vanilla" bosses...

12. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Unfortunately, I think this ship has long since sailed my friend. At least as it relates to the story, quests and compelling game lore.

While I do hope Chris and Catnip Games finds success with the continued development of Shroud, there isn't much being done currently that excites me enough to login and play. Personally, I don't think I've logged in for about a month. I just don't see the point; which is fine. Like @Parson Barr rightfully pointed out, all games have a lifespan and for now mine is pretty much done. With games like Outer Worlds, Death Stranding and Cyberpunk 2077 releasing or already released, there are enough options to keep me busy.

If things change in the future and Episode 2 releases with a revamped story and quest system, I'll be back and playing happily. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  13. Almar

Almar Avatar

Get rid of dance parties.

Make a quest system that actually functions.

Add broader content (fishing mibs, treasure maps, challenging group content etc) not endless crap for the store.

None of this will happen though and I won't be back.

This game was a wasted opportunity, I think most of the senior dev team know that now.

14. Spungwa

Spungwa Avatar

I personally like the game. Take breaks on occasions to play other games then return.

I think though the big focus should be on sorting the questing and journal system.

I like the game because I don't care about quests, on the rare occasions I do quest, I find it nothing but frustrating. So to me that is large RPG audience lost.

On the flip side I also don't deco, a massive strength in this game. I don't dance party, also a big strength. So even though they don't interest me personally I would not call for them to be dropped. In a sandbox I like that there is entire faucets of the game I'm not interested in. This creates a more interesting and diverse community. If I like and.enjoy everything in a sandbox MMO then I think that sandbox is too narrow. A sandbox MMO should be more a virtual environment than a game. Make your own fun in that environment.

The thing I most like about the game is the flexibility of classless deck system. Combat is as much about skills, gear and deck decisions made before I even enter an adventure zone as the button mashing I do during combat. I think due to the depth and complexity, which is what I like, this is inherently not new player friendly.

I don't get the continued complaining about loot. I would only complain about loot if it was unfair. The so called rubbish loot is the same for everyone. So the bar is set the same for everyone.

I would like to see more enemy types that behaved functionally different. But I understand that is large dev task, new models, animation, AI etc. So I have always thought a quicker way to make some more interesting content would be to add or amend some scenes with special effects on the players. So each is a different type of challenge, with different scenes favouring different play styles.

Examples :
    stealthy scene with loot boxes. All mobs can 1 hit kill you.
    Windy scene, no ranged skills work including ranged magic.
    Magic obolisk scene. Stops all magic working.
    Hard melee scene, all mob run very fast and all ranged.
    Magic fountain scene. Adds 100 attunement to all magic schools.

This way you don't have to create new mobs for a new challenge, you change the environment variables on the player for existing mobs.

Regards
    Spung

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I have no clue, I've never played offline. But I suspect the enemies aren't any less tough in offline. Regardless, I'm not interested in playing offline. Single Player Online is my preferred mode, though I'm not upset about encountering others in towns.

Mishikal and Jaesun like this.
  16. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Careful, that kinda talk will get ya banned. Censorship is REAL!!!

17. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Thas sounds very cool. I think that sort of thing goes against Chris's main philosophy that all combat should be mediocre and unfulfilling though. (Unless you want to play a heavy armor wearing Fire mage, then you are golden).

18. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Perhaps you are correct. For me, I played most every day for the last 4 or 5 years. Small breaks when I had a RL occurrence, but I was pretty reliable. Had a good group of friends who were the same way. What killed it for them and then eventually for me, was the constant nerfing of skills. I don't think that a player with 3 months in should be out soloing the aether dragon and the spider queen, but its not out of the question for someone with 4 years of steady play in to have a shot. I play a game to get powerful and feel powerful with in the confines of the game. The first thing that ruined the game was Port/Chris giving 2x xp. It was like heroine to a large population of players and once they tried it, they had to have it all the time. At first Port/Chris figured, WOW, what a great way to hit our stretch goals! Then it just became a constant every weekend thing until finally it became the norm. Now you have a bunch of players who can level up pretty fast and drop bigger mobs solo. Then Chris had a bunch of high level players clamoring for more content to kill with their new skills, so the obvious choice, NERF the skills... wait? what? . To add insult to injury, Chris would come out and tell us the same bald faced lie like we were stupid children . It went something like this, I just discovered that Archery/ Meteor storm/Rend/etc. has been calculating wrong and doing way more damage then I had ever intended it to do, so we are going to correct the model and make it the way it was supposed to be.... B F'n S ! What he should have said was the truth. I screwed up by caving in to my big money donors who wanted double XP and now too many people can kill my mobs, so I need to make you all weaker so that I don't have to make new mobs, because I am terribly busy making new disco themed items to sell you in the crown store. After that I have to implement an elaborate fishing system, because some other high rollers are dropping serious moolah on me to do so. In MY OPINION, it was a pretty transparent excuse that was insulting to the collective intelligence of this community. I played an archer, so I was used to being a moderately useful but generally weak character incapable of any real end game content unless some heavy armor wearing fire mage wanted to take me along for comic relief. Then the air shield / charged shot build came along. I respeced my entire character(which cost me REAL $$$ to do) and spent the majority of my IGG and cotos to outfit my character into a truly elite killing machine (Much like the heavy armor wearing fire mages) Now I was having fun, the game was still very challenging, because an air spec archer cant just drop a bunch of fire spells and run away until the mobs melts. I would fight these epic battles where I had to kite all the baby spiders around the room in a big jagged figure 8 while also maintaining about 10 short lived buffs and doing enough damage to the queen to actually kill her after about 10 or 15 minutes. (That is if I didn't make a single misstep or get stuck on the very obstacle strewn field of battle. Of course, I could never figure out how to skin her before she disappeared afterwards because I still had to then kill off all the babies who would swarm me if I didn't run out, but I was working on a plan! Now mind you I was ADV level 121 or so and had put ALL my eggs in that basket. I had no AOE spells or even healing to speak of, but man I was having fun. I was daring to travel to PVP zones to fight the mechanical dragons and other mobs that live in those areas(I was a straight up PVE player). It was pretty cool! then some people started to winge about archery again and moan about how their fire mage was getting out dps'd by an archer, etc, etc and that caused the nerf bat to come out once again destroying the archer class and taking away all the fun I was having, essentially forcing me to play a sub par character once again. I personally was not liking the idea of going back to being comic relief after EIGHT MONTHS of actually being an elite character. So, I called it quits, cancelled my 5 subscriptions and started to look for another game to play. Am I bitter? HELLS YES! I am like raw dandelion greens up in this place ! I understand the need for balance .Yes, in certain situations, I was a god, but watch me die in the zombie rooms in Tartarus. I guess my point is that I put ALL the time and effort into a game, I want to feel like I am powerful, not like I am some middling nobody . We are supposed to be avatars after all (If there was a story line, people would know what that means). So yeah, fix that stuff and I'll come back.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Sophi, Addison, Vaiden Luro and 6 others like this.
  19. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Gageman didn't the inadvertent archery nerf get fixed this last release?

Boris Mondragon and Barugon like this.
  20. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

No Clue, I havent logged on in months. I am going to guess, NO. but perhaps someone can elaborate on what happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.