PVP and looting people

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xee, Nov 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Chris said he's shutting it off for December and if the pvp increases that will prob stay in. So that's a start. I think that's why everyone is excited to share ideas again.

2. Restless

Restless Avatar

SOTA devs as a whole have a history of leaving things unfinsihed. Completely unfinished. I do not expect something to happen in January or even February as a result. We can look at charged shot archery as a great example. Completely OP and against game intention for a minimum of 6 months before it was corrected. The whole time 80% of the game used it and farmed arties.

If there is a test to change oracle pvp, there should be a replacement tested at the same time. This will prove out the new system instead of another useless test that will likely a year to get another look, if it ever does.

3. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The thing is, by testing to by simply removing ransom from PvP, they will actually get data on how Ransom is affecting PvP. If you implement a replacement system at the same time, how can you know if its the lack of ransom or the new system that is drawing in more pvpers?

Jaesun likes this.
  4. Restless

Restless Avatar

I completely agree, this is the ideal way. But for the reason this won't work in SOTA, please re-read my previous post.

5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I don't care if it gets implemented by March. I've been here for years. I can wait a few months if they can make pvp actually fun. Got anything constructive or helpful to add to the discussion or is your goal just to derail?

6. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

What the hell, since we are just all throwing out wacky stuff that would make PVP more fun, how about this, instead of dying from pvp, your character just gets teleported to any other random non player owned / non instanced zone. Might be Graff Island , might be Mud, who knows? its anybodies guess! Then you have to run back to the zone you were fighting in to rejoin the fray. Maybe instead of ransom, you lose 25 gold per adv level to the victorious combatant and one of your equipped items is unequipable for a 15 minute cooldown. I much sooner expect to see tameable flying dragon mounts before any of these things, but hey, if we are just spitballing here.

Bedawyn likes this.
  7. oplek

oplek Avatar

I think there's a few different breeds of PVP/PVPers.

Those who play PUBG or Fortnight don't lose big. But there's plenty of PVP activity there. I'd categorize it as being a varying blend of three things:
    1. Risk-taking - large personal gains or losses
    2. The combat mechanics are fun - you'd do the PVP just because
    3. Campaigns - the individual fights aren't as important as some larger goals being worked towards (like defending/conquering territories)
    It sounds like you're mostly #1, where I'm more 50/50 split on #2 and #3. If the combat is fun enough, I'd *pay* to do it, fully setting aside winning any loot for my efforts.

Unfortunately, SOTA doesn't really do any of the three more than a minor degree. I've made suggestions/threads in the past, and as expected, didn't go anywhere. Episode 2's continent should be all PVP, with conquerable towns/areas. Let it be SOTA's nullsec.

Adam Crow and Gageman like this.
  8. Restless

Restless Avatar

This sounds like fun, although why lose the gold? If the oracle is too much for people now - how about SOTA treats it as loot from a boss? People are much tougher and smarter than any boss in game. The 15 min cooldown is a bit much though. The goal here is to incentivize pvp, not take people out of it.

We could also avoid exploiters by having the oracle boss loot in open pvp areas only. This way nobody can sit in their basement with a friend botting it all night.

Gageman likes this.
  9. Restless

Restless Avatar

You are right, I am a risk / reward person. I also loved the exp loss after taking a nap from mobs that are so easy to outsmart / outplay. This encouraged people to use their thought process to become better players. Sota pve now, is literally a walk in the park.

I hope @Atos considers what is written in this thread, including your post. It saddens me that what could've been the best sandbox mmo pvp-enabled game is being led by those who don't even bother to use Obsidian Trials / Opalis Ruins after implemented on account of "oracles" or "skill level fairness". And lets not forget, there is already the option to accept or decline duels while unflagged.

Dhanas likes this.
  10. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Not much reason to go to most shardfalls or ruins right now. 200k xp and a handful of chips per hour? Would be nice if something was there... maybe even more PVP obsidian coins like from the Obsidian Trials or at least decent XP and loot.

11. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

I wonder whats up with those shardfall.. Since the time we keep mentioning them and they do nothing or even trigger an oppurtinity to talk about it, my sense tell me it has something related to the story that we will see later :p
    If not... my pitchfork is ready!

Boris Mondragon and Adam Crow like this.
  12. Geaux

Geaux Avatar

Right click and mark Equipment and consumables to be used in PVP in inventory
    If you use it you can lose it
    Only PVP flagged items can be used in PVP
    Only PVP flagged items can be looted
    Penalty/debuff for empty slot when flagged for PVP (to avoid nude PVPers running a muck in the countryside)

@Xee You are so correct in the detriment to PVP that currently exists to swap out gear for a PVE player, massive time sink...not FUN!

Gageman and Adam Crow like this.
  13. Gageman

Gageman Avatar

Im cool with that too, Like I said, I am just typing wacky stuff to amuse myself here. I dont expect any of these thing to be impelemented.

14. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Yeah they should buff these zones up! Give the mobs 5 - 10 times the xp. Increase the loot. Add some sort of pvp currency like mentioned above. Add some wave battles or rare boss spawns that are actually worth killing. Something to give us a reason to go their finally.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This seems like a pretty easy way to do it and isn't confusing like some of the other ideas I've read or come up with. +1 to this!

Edit: Also would be great if there was an option we could turn on - automatically set equipped items to pvp flagged

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Sara Dreygon and Geaux like this.
  16. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

If they did that, the zones would be camped nonstop.

17. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Like UT and Tartarus? That doesn't seem to be a problem for those zones. Why not give the pvpers something to fight over.

Im not saying make them better than those zones, just comparable.

18. Dhanas

Dhanas Avatar

That should be the goal, cooperation between pvers and pvpers. While pvers kills the mobs, Pvpers defend them from gankers. And here you generated contents for everyone.
    Surely pvp and endgame pve shouldn't be contents designed for solo players.

19. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I will add my two cents on this. This idea is based on what I noticed in our player created large battles in Dragomir, New Heaven, and Luna City. If you were there as a flagged participant or non flagged bystander then you know where the real action was.

So without any further ado here it goes;

1) Increase party size maximum when flagged to 24 or 40. Let’s have a big PVP raid.

2) Create 4 contested zones that are flagged only. Each zone has a castle defended by level 10 mobs that once defeated belongs to the victorious player/group/guild. Have this zone not accessible to anyone except the victors and double spawn/drop mobs/ resources for 24 hours.

3)Place 4 of these zones in each Novian quadrant and give titles that last a week (i.e) Champions of the North/South/East/West.

4) So just let your imagination go for a minute and picture this: @Antrax, @Dhanas and their army take over the Western castle and a particular guild or group of pirates decide to take it over next time it spawns (24 hours). What you now have is the creation of an end game. You have large battles with a purpose, alliances, betrayal and a game worth grinding and fighting for.

@Chris ; Do you want to give SOTA and Catnip
    Games a shot of adrenaline and notoriety. Think about it.

R/Boris/El Pirata/Resident Pirate of House Serenite

20. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Where's the issue with that? :p

My favorite PvP experience of all time was Elder Scrolls Online Imperial City, it had some of the best experience, it gave some decent loot, 7 or so different currencies, 1 for your day to day purchases and the other 6 to open up pvp gear chests. The only thing you would lose was the currencies, nothing else, but were forced to respawn in a safe zone. The zone had MULTIPLE sub bosses and bosses, with repeatable quests. The zone had a real risk vs reward feeling competing with the best PvE zones, but with the added situation of having anyone from another faction possibly jumping you at any moment.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.