What's wrong with this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pavlitto, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

What thread are you reading? Other than one link in one comment, I see a lot of people speaking constructively about improving loot systems

2. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

+1

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

You nailed it man. It's just gotten to the point where i look at a lot of these posts and just have to laugh now. Its a bunch of people that really enjoy writing smartass responses and don't get me wrong most of them are very smart and much better than i am at writing forum posts. So i end up looking like a jerk or an ******* for trying to defend a game i legitimately enjoy and have fun playing each and every day. Have they even given it a chance that last few releases? Who knows.. Its hard to tell because i think they're spending most of their time writing witty responses on the forums.

Onyx, Witcheypoo, Floors and 3 others like this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

But yeah keep writing your posts and making me look like a bad guy. White knight i am not. This game has some serious faults. But i love it. I play it everyday and will continue to do so. And I'll continue to fight the haters. Not the guys that give great criticism and put forth the negative stuff that is needed. I'm going to fight the haters. You know who you are.

Onyx and Witcheypoo like this.
  5. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I just want to bring this up again because it seems awesome. What I'm hearing is the actual neck bones could be color tagged and stronger depending on the different types of dragons. Am i getting that right?

6. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

In the beginning it was idea about heads(dif type = dif bonus in dragon headdress) btw it imho will work great with necks as well.

Adam Crow likes this.
  7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

That's a great idea. The bonus could be very small so that its not a huge difference from an easy dragon up to the ancient types. But even if it's just a small amount those neckbones would be so much more valuable!

8. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

While I still play SOTA, I've decided to broaden my MMO exposure.

$10 sale for Elder Scrolls Online. Starting out as a total noob, I've been making notes comparing the two games.

Looks like items you get really cheap or free after completing quests are bound to your account (like heritage items). I wasn't aware this was a normal thing. And I'm still looking for the bank. I'm told there is one there somewhere.

After 8 hours into ESO, I'm still not into crafting there (yet). Also, somehow missed how to get a house (I hear there is a free apartment you can get after completing a quest). I'm struggling to make gold. And have been caught by the guard for stealing at least once now (I'm poor remember? :D )

I've wandered into area's WAY above my head. Not sure how to tell if I'm going to get destroyed. And ended up dying twice already. I'll get that River Troll yet!!

Fishing is slightly different. I've snapped a lines accidentally until I finally figured out how fishing really works :D

Any of this sound familiar when new players come to SOTA???

:D

Nobody is perfect.

SOTA does make an effort to help players out in many of these areas. Still, that being said. ESO's map is far better and I really enjoy their journal / quest system. I think those two would really help SOTA out. When I'm not sure what I want to do next, I look in my journal and map for quests and activities around me. I also love how I walk from the wilderness into a town without a scene change. Yes there are scene changes. Usually when you go into a Mine for example. there is a load screen. Usually it's only a few seconds on a spindle drive.

Quests are easy to find. A daily reward. Just click on the notifications / calendar and select today for your reward. My first day reward was double XP for two hours. Very nice!

There is some fast travel. Oh. And should I say it.

MOUNTS! People are riding freaking horses every freaking where! I gotta have one now!!

BTW, I'm playing a Nord and using a double bladed Axe along with nature magic. Something like the SOTA taming tree. So yeah. I'm enjoying SOTA still. After 5 years we've made a LOT of head way. Playing ESO has helped me appreciate where we are. And what we have still left to do :D

9. Aetrion

Aetrion Avatar

A lot of the problems with SOTA are only apparent when you know a lot of other games to compare it to. If you enjoy other MMORPGs and then you play SOTA it feels like they took away convenience in places where it was never a problem and added convenience in places where it removed the challenge, which is just kind of a weird way to go.

Normal MMORPG: "I'm struggling to kill this dragon"
    SOTA: "I'm killing this dragon over and over because I'm struggling to finance gear"

10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yes, but its also that

Normal MMORPG: I'm struggling to kill this dragon with a group of folks but when it dies we'll all definitely get something worth the effort.
    SOTA: I stopped bothering killing boss tier creatures because I can get better stuff (ie, total value) spending the same amount of time doing just about anything else including farming tier 1 zones.

11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Yeah. Finding acceptable gear in ESO hasn't been much of a problem for me. I've been completing quests and so far growing in power. Already I'm nearly level 9 with about 700 gold in my pocket. Today I make it my personal mission to kill the evil River Troll! (note. they are really pissing me off ::grinz:: ).

BTW, I neglected to mention. In ESO, I found guild traders! Kinda like the SOTA public vendor. I get the impression they are available everywhere. Not just in the one town I've found them so far. What tipped me off was the "search" option. I 'think' it searches everywhere. Not just in the current town. I'll find another town and test :D

12. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

firing up ESO. I noticed during patching, it's posting the latest news about the game. Changes made and so on. While waiting for the patch to complete. Thoughts? I think that would be an excellent (and easy) update for SOTA.

And yes I'm logged in. Fishing for Sharks in SOTA while updating ESO :)

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I just started about a month ago. I'm enjoying it. I got way into crafting, because I can actually make useful gear. There's no RNG, but really good gear requires hard to get (at least, at lvl40) materials. Also, friggin' alchemy! It's still a bit more stripped down than I would like, but I get to mess around and play with the system, looking to see what I get. (Sure, I could just look it up online, but I enjoy the process.) Plus, it's fun to feel like I'm accomplishing things again, instead of staring at a four year grind to be able to enjoy endgame content.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Plus, I feel much better being in a proper blue-grey skin.

15. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Something else that struck me as shocking. I went to Vivec City and was stunned with how many players were running around the crafting tables. Dozens of people last night running around. Some messing around doing emotes or chatting with others. Horses and familiars everywhere. The shear amount of activity was incredible.

I keep hoping someday SOTA will turn into that.

Today I'm usually excited if I see one person in a scene or town in SOTA :D

16. Drya

Drya Avatar

Actually this is the problem in a nutshell for my style of play. I don't want a single player game. While I suppose this style of play suits Mac, who is indeed an awesome player, I play games to enjoy time with friends taking on new and rewarding challenges. Now, fewer and fewer of my friends log in and I miss them. What I've seen is that the devs go to the trouble of creating a new challenge. Our guild is excited and we form a group to take on this new challenge: the Spider Queen, the Kobold Palace in the Mysterious Swamp, Tartarus, the Dungeon of Despair. We work together to defeat these new challenges and finally succeed and find.....the loot sucks. We get equivalent loot, with less effort, in Upper Tears. The risk vs reward equation is way out of whack. For those of us who enjoy group play, there is little reason to go to the trouble of forming a group. Gone is the excitment of seeing a highly desirable item drop as the result of taking on a difficult challenge. Seems like more and more this is the game Mac enjoys, a single player event, but the disappointing loot for those who go to the trouble of forming a group is sending more and more of my friends in search of greener pastures. It's getting awfully lonely here in Novia. I have really loved this game, but logging in and finding fewer and fewer friends online is disheartening. Seems like all I do anymore is join the occasional UT pick-up group to get some XP and farm Ulfheim for mats and crafting xp...alone.

17. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Crafting tables are busy because ESO has something called crafting writs which are daily quests for crafting.. You complete them to get some goodies. Also there is not much of a crafting market since most players master all crafting skills to craft their own gear which is rare because leveling in ESO is easy but best gear is from drops.

Most people use low level gear with training bonus (xp bonus) until max level. Then they grind dungeons for end game gear.

Jaesun, Mishikal and Sentinel2 like this.
  18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I know the feeling. Taking out Torc the Broken repeatedly for the occasional artifact and a pile of loot that doesn't amount to much for taking out a boss character on my own. And with a group. The same.

I've reduced my spending to just the subscription now on my accounts. Notice the plural. I'm still hoping. I'll play for a few hours. But most of my time is elsewhere now. Hopefully we can make loot appropriate to the effort.

Speaking of which, in ESO I'm taking out those evil River Trolls now :D

And I've completed my enchantment crafting training. Now on to the daily crafting tasks and start making some money. Should be interesting to see the difference. Level 9 now. Might hit 10 by tonight.

Mishikal likes this.
  19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Yup. Just discovered them :D

So best gear from drops. Why bother crafting at all ;D

Mishikal likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Best base gear is from drops. Specifically, people want certain set bonuses. There are special crafting areas you can find out in the world that allow the crafting of gear with set bonuses, though most of the most desirable ones are drop only. However, you'd still need your crafting skills to improve them, enchant (or re-enchant) them, and I think transmute the traits. I haven't gotten to a point where I want/need to transmute anything, so I don't exactly know how that works or if it has a skill requirement. Presumably, you would need to have learned the trait at least.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.