Daily XP Pool - Get more people playing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aetrion, Nov 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Playing devils advocate here, it would hurt those who want to earn what they get. The feeling you get when you finally make it Adventure level 100 through hard work and dedication is slightly diminished by the "here is your pity xp so you can get better".
    A lot of people play these games for the journey, not for the destination.
    The free random xp would cheapen the experience of reaching whatever goal you set yourself.

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The thing is, before persistence, we had a cool little thing called daily bonus.

It scaled with your respective adventurer/producer level, and basically you had a buff icon thing and the first x amount of XP you earned each day was doubled (I think, been a while). Lower level players could burn through this pretty quickly, I don't remember what the values were, but the higher you got, the better the bonus got, there was some sort of scale.

This was a GREAT incentivizer to log in DAILY and do stuff and even if I was not intending to play today, I was still somewhat inclined to log in, and use my bonus.
    Usually when that happened, I'd get pulled into something and end up playing longer than intended usually cause I end up doing something fun. A good thing all around.

If you wanted bonus adventure xp, you had to adventure. If you wanted bonus crafting xp, you had to craft/harvest. It made sense. It was beautiful.
    The bonus system grew with you. It also meant that someone who played a few hours a day was more productive during that time and kinda helped people keep pace, even if just a little bit, since your first endeavours were multiplied.

The "free daily bonus experience of 10,000" etc. becomes irrelevant after like, a week. Its not even a drop in the bucket. Its barely dampness in the bucket.

Bringing back the bonus system that we used to have would be more sensible to me than to just give everybody a free daily dose of experience just for logging in and walking around doing activities that normally dont reward anything.

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's irrelevant now anyway. it was instituted to make up for death decay at low levels.

kaeshiva likes this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

So a toggle to not get a daily xp bonus... Yeah i bet that would be used by just about 0 people.

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's because it was not a good system.

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I use the experience as I get it.

7. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

There’s currently 4 daily quests and a number of repeatable quests currently in game.

Barugon likes this.
  8. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

So your saying because you want to be one of a handful of people saying I dont want more XP for being part of the game the rest of us should just suffer?

125.2m 1-100 Adventure Level. One week of UT 8 hours a day LvL 100. No work just sit. and push buttons. Your accomplishment might mean something to you. But some new guy that spent a week doing that beat the game....

Or another option for lazy individuals, Purchase a level 100 character for $35-$50. Also they dont care....

But also, if you choose to take quest(s) to get 2m xp or I choose to sit in town and talk, what is the difference? Choice. Your saying because you went out and did XYZ is more important to the growth of the game vs what I did or I am doing or what might come from my actions helping others play the game and enjoy it?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  9. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

And One more note, you want to talk about accomplishment. I reached level 100 from playing over 400 hours in the game. We didnt have 2m/hour double xp. Back in the day I was lucky to solo 250k/hour. So your argument is null and void. Everything you do in game is double what it was not long ago.

10. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I'm not one of those people who don't want XP, my reply to a post about "who would this hurt" so I was being devils advocate and giving an example.
    I just don't see how giving away xp for simply logging in has any correlation with growing the game. We have seen it time and again when a new player starts, grinds UT for 12 hours a day for a week and then burns out when they are "done". The long term players who are already here have spent hours running around without earning xp. They get their enjoyment out of the many different systems that are place. I remember spending a good 4 hours with a group of people playing sota version of mine sweep in a basement.
    Free xp just handed out as a participation prize just accelerates people towards what they consider End Game. Once they get there they tend to move one to the next shiny new game. Those that work at building their character, have stories to tell of their exploits and have an emotional investment in their avatar tend to stick around.
    I would much rather get 100 new long term players than 1000 that will lose interest after a week.

11. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I started playing in R17....

12. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

If your not one of them, then why play the part because a person who is new would not know they NEVER got 2m xp per day free for being part of the game, even the old accelerated xp gain for the first 4m xp w/e doesnt matter. How it is implemented. More for a shorter period of time, then level off to the cap. So players can get the most from a 2 hour session vs cramming it in 8, but also let the grinders do the thing they want.

13. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Ive posted many stupid messages over the years so I think many people out there including Scoffer don't like me or my know it all attitude, and i don't blame them. I think they get a kick out of arguing with me, I'm not sure.

This idea may not bring players rushing in, but I stand by what i said, it can't hurt.

I think it's great for the grinders, that first hour you get an extra 2 mil xp. It's great for someone who enjoys deco, after they accrue a bunch of xp decoing maybe they go out and try some content they never tried before and enjoy the game even more. Someone mining feels like they're getting a good pull of ore and advancing their character at the same time... I mean like i said its silly to think it hurts anyone, but whatever he is entitled to his opinion just like the rest of us.

Witcheypoo likes this.
  14. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Just to clarify, I've never had an issue with you (still don't)and wasn't starting an argument.
    It was a simple case of here is an example of why someone might not like it. It was just an honest opinion during a discussion and not meant as anything else. I know these forums have a reputation for being toxic and people automatically assume someone is attacking when replying to another post but this wasn't the case (with you or Drilikath).
    Just putting forward another point of view for discussion, no need to get defensive.

15. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Sorry for jumping to conclusions. I sometimes think the world revolves around me :D

Witcheypoo and Drilikath like this.
  16. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

How can it revolve when its flat?

Adam Crow likes this.
  17. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

My hours in this game not long ago rolled over the 9500 hour mark. And that's just steam time. And I've probably only played 100 or so in the last 6 months.

Most of my "levelling" experience, in the days before double, came 50k xp per hour at a time while chopping trees, skinning wolves, and harvesting stuff. Or fighting off stuff in the mines to get to the ore. I think overall, I had a lot more fun in the game before there was "grinding" and "attenuation" and "xp per hour" and the rest of it.

But, people complained that it was too hard to catch up, that they were too far behind, that it was too hard to be competitive, etc. so not only did we double the progression rate to make the game accessible, but we added new cheeseball scenes where XP could be obtained by sitting behind a rock while other people killed things. XP in Sota is no longer a measure of what your character has achieved or how much time you've put in, instead its a measure of how many hours you've spent in a UT zerg group or equivalent. After a single weekend of that, 90% of the game content is marginalized. There's no reason to go explore random foothills over here and see what's there, because nothing compares to the gains you'll get in UT, Superstition Canyon, Tartarus, etc.. There's no reason to go see what's in this cave over here. There's even no reason to be thoughtful about your build or gear half the time, or eat food, or get your buffs, if you're just going to join a party and let them carry you.

I'm not saying that this made the game "better" or "worse." Has adding an easy-mode for levelling, where you don't need to know what you're doing, been a net benefit to the game? Has it brought in more people? Has it helped casuals 'keep up' and has that resulted in better player retention? Has it made PvP balanced and fair? If "getting to a high level so you can go solo stuff and/or be competitive" is the only thing that matters, then by all means yes, lets give out the free XP, or better yet, lets just let people buy a level 100 character from the creation screen. I mean, WoW does it, so it must be fine.

But, the easier you make it and the more freebies you hand out for folks, the more you cheapen the experience for the people who have put in -years- developing their characters, slow bit by paintful bit, to see some upstart come in and powergrind past them, having explored a grand total 5% of the game's content.

Yes, we should make the game accessible, and fun, and attract new players. All good things. Its a balancing act - an easy, quick progression game may appeal to a large number of people for a shorter amount of time - (Most MMOs I can hit the cap and move on in a few weeks/months) - or do you want people to put down roots, become part of the game world, establish communities that stand the test of time? Probably something in between. Too far to the left and you'll just get the revolving-door-players who come in, max out, and move on. Too far to the right and new players are intimidated by how behind they are and perhaps wont make the effort.

For me personally? I wanted this to be the long haul. I wanted being a long term veteran of the game to mean something. Lately it seems a lot of sacrificing tomorrow to get through today. And if that's what we need to do, its what we need to do. I do see new faces come in. But they don't last more than a month or two. They've either grinded to the point where the only thing in front of them is further grind, and bailed, or realize they're so far behind in something that the amount of effort it would require is insurmountable and decide not to bother. I'd say from my experience its about fifty-fifty.

Alternatives outside the powercurve, life skills, commerce skills, achievements, unlockables, faction-building - could make a great difference here. Pull people off the racetrack from Level 1 to whatever and get them doing other stuff. And a lot of us who have been here for years have been creating our own content and doing exactly that. Not because it gave out arbitrary XP, but because it was fun to do.

18. Fiero Steele

Fiero Steele Avatar

Hey! that's me :)

19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

To sum it up your reward in helping the game or anything is knowing you helped. But seems you like to be rewarded for anything you do. Absurd.

20. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Make Taverns great again.

People really jumped on that bandwagon ... until the free deeds and houses came out.

There needs to be a reason to visit and rent from them. Game tables would be nice. And since we're getting rid of RMT, it shouldn't be called real world gambling anymore. Right?

Something at least. Something social to bring people together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.